Gravity 400 (Under Construction)

BeagleAccountant

Page 91. That's atrocious.  Looks like some cheesy night club re:  the corner portion.   

More angles please, more depth. It's rather two-dimensional looking.

Too pedestrian, urban-lite (read: faux urban/new urbanism school). 

More glass please. 

Daytime images continue to show an extensive use of the color black on the facade:  black pigmented dye, paint, stain, whatever.  White and black predominate.  Why so much black? How does that color scheme relate to surrounding edifices? 

More retail. Please. 

I'll believe that landscaping along Waterside Dr. when I see it.

This thing could be plopped anywhere. This gateway/CBD location deserves special treatment. This is not special. Not at all.

My City outreach has been ongoing at all levels since last Fall. Before anyone there knew anything about this project. Or so they all claimed. Outreach will continue. 

• 1 month later...

I don't understand the color palette either, that's the one thing I can't get a feel for. Could be good or bad. I was ok with the original development, and these changes seem to be modest in scope, but the color palette is the one thing I really wanted addressed. I hand waived it off as "early renderings", but I'm disappointed to see that hasn't been fleshed out yet.

9 hours ago, vdogg said:

I don't understand the color palette either, that's the one thing I can't get a feel for. Could be good or bad. I was ok with the original development, and these changes seem to be modest in scope, but the color palette is the one thing I really wanted addressed. I hand waived it off as "early renderings", but I'm disappointed to see that hasn't been fleshed out yet.

I think the building looks dramatically better. The changes are many and significant. The ARB really delivered big time within the scope of their purview. Ymmv.

Edited by baobabs727

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, carolinaboy said:

Kudos to Marathon for investing 100 million dollars in Norfolk between this project and the one in the arts district. Say what you will about the design but Marathon has done wonders for Norfolk.

Marathon deserves some credit, yes. They build decent projects. Nothing special.  I still say that Buddy could do much, much better. I think everyone knows this. 

However, I don’t much like monopolies in anything. New blood is needed in Downtown.  Competition is good for consumers. True, it’s a free marketplace, in theory, and others can (and have) come into the market and have done good work. But when one man controls something like 92% of the apartment business in a mid major downtown, something is very off. IMHO. Hopefully, everyone from the outside gets a fair shake at acquiring the deals and getting favorable terms from the city departments...not just the good old boy insiders. 

I sure wish that Mr. Thompson would get into the apartment development business. I know that he’s building condominiums at the oceanfront, but that is to be part and parcel of his Cavalier complex. So it’s kind of a one-off. I am certain that he would build something truly spectacular in downtown. And even though we might all be thankful for Buddy, you cannot exactly attach the word “spectacular” to any of his projects. Not to his completed projects anyway. 

I have still not given up hope on the Cordish companies bringing one of their famous luxurious towers of light to the downtown waterfront.  Icon will be emptying out quickly if that happens. If they can afford the rents, that is. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

• vdogg changed the title to Gravity 400 (Approved)
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone heard of any other news regarding the gravity 400 on Waterside? I heard its still in the plans and basically can get started any time now. But im just asking before I make any assumptions.  Hopefully they build it soon.  I have been dying for downtown developments to get started. I hope they find better use for MacArthur mall as they supposedly supposed to open it up and create about like at least 4 new blocks....jeez im so excited for the development all this could bring.

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 2

I am also curious about Gravity 400. I don’t think there is a problem with demand right now.  Waterside could definitely use more residents in close proximity and maybe it could activate the park more. Waterside is decent, as is, but it could use more activity and vibrancy and daily use. As it is now, it feels more of a place for visitors than an actual city marketplace. 

On another note, I absolutely hate the empty lot at 1500 Monticello and would love to see a new proposal for that lot in the near future. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Holy smokes!!!! Its actually happening! I dont know why im so hype over a low/mid rise but im HAPPY to see development in downtown! 

7 hours ago, Asdfjkl; said:

Paywall but construction should start later this month with completion in Summer 2023. 

https://www.costar.com/article/591150464/marathon-development-gears-up-for-next-downtown-norfolk-apartment-project

Thank you for this update!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

When did a 6 story building become classified as a high rise? A mid rise yeah sure, but a high rise I don't know about that. 

Lol its pretty good for Downtown Norfolk Standards.........Now if they could stop talking about 2-3 story SPQ apartments and add more of these in! 

• Like 1

https://www.breedenconstruction.com/news/breeden-construction-set-to-develop-luxury-apartments-in-norfolk-virginia/

“Construction is set to begin late November 2021 and take approximately 22-months to complete. “We are pleased to serve as general contractor for Marathon Development and look forward to continuing development work in the downtown Norfolk submarket,” says Brian Revere, President of Breeden Construction.”

Edited by varider
  • Like 1