Buddy got burned with the failed Granby Tower. He got his high-rise with the Icon. He's not going to put another high-rise on this property. Looks like it will be five floors (wood framed) on top of a concrete podium. Code only allows five floors of wood on top of a podium. If he wanted to go higher (say 6+ floors) he would have to use different material and the cost would probably be prohibitive. Infill development is very effective in creating urbanity, even if the design is some-what "suburban".

• Like 1

Sorry if I missed this, but is there any kind of ground retail? I think in one of the photos I saw "signage".. As long as has that, I would be ok with it. If not, it will create another dead corner without features. 

Years ago there were talks about reducing the lanes on waterside drive correct? I wonder how that would have potentially changed/impacted construction down that stretch.

1 hour ago, brikkman said:

Sorry if I missed this, but is there any kind of ground retail? I think in one of the photos I saw "signage".. As long as has that, I would be ok with it. If not, it will create another dead corner without features. 

Years ago there were talks about reducing the lanes on waterside drive correct? I wonder how that would have potentially changed/impacted construction down that stretch.

There is a small piece at the corner of Atlantic/Waterside labeled “area of future commercial” that at least initially consists of 13 parking spaces. The project description calls it “possible future retail.”

7 minutes ago, 23320 said:

There is a small piece at the corner of Atlantic/Waterside labeled “area of future commercial” that at least initially consists of 13 parking spaces. The project description calls it “possible future retail.”

That’s a tough spot for retail. With Waterside directly across the street and Main Street a block behind the building, that location is kind of in a dead zone/no man’s land. The most we could probably hope for is a coffee shop.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 4:51 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

The renderings show they're going to have parking on portions of the ground floor. So that limits the amount of commercial use of the property.

That is a shame, parking along the first floor in a downtown should never be allowed, it pretty much wastes space for cars that could have been used for commercial.

• Like 1

The bottom floor could use a 7-11 in my opinion which would be a good retail for this area as the 7-11 at the Wells Fargo building is a bit of a walk for people staying at the hotels on Main St.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

The bottom floor could use a 7-11 in my opinion which would be a good retail for this area as the 7-11 at the Wells Fargo building is a bit of a walk for people staying at the hotels on Main St.

I've said for a while that downtown needs a smaller Target/CVS, and I thought the ground floor of ICON made the perfect space. There's another storefront on Bank St. that was the original Alice Mae's...another perfect location.

\When I was in NOVA last year, there was a Target within walking distance of our Airbnb. Even with the grocery store that's supposed to open (eventually*?), downtown needs more than the one 7-11 and the local pharmacy on Granby. There's times where I've been downtown and needed something like a pack of batteries, but going to Monticello 7-11 was a bit inconvenient.

*Seriously. What's going on here? This was supposed to open six months ago.

I would love to see a Cheeseccake Factory downtown on the ground floor of Gravity.  Is there some clause that says there can only be one in the entire area?  I still prefer downtown Norfolk over Town Center any day.

• Like 2

Gravity looks like a nice infill development.  It will fit nicely in front of the Icon.  Now re-landscape Waterside Dr. and incorporate some traffic calming infrastructure and then you will have a more urban Street.  

• Like 3