All things Biltmore, the Village, the Estate

KJHburg

As one of the top attractions in Asheville that continues to grow with new additions and so forth the Biltmore Estate and Winery needs its own thread.  Along with the booming Biltmore Village area that continues to attract tourists and locals alike and new hotel growth.   Some of the estate today and though I have been many times I have not seen this new Antler Village development behind the winery. 

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3428.JPG

IMG_3445.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nicholas said:

^Who approved that Home 2 Suites??? Looks terrible next to the rest of Biltmore Village.

I don't know but that is where I stayed.  It is on the other side of the tracks from the rest of the village and in a floodplain as the first floor and reception is a up a floor with parking underneath. 

• Like 2

I don't know but that is where I stayed.  It is on the other side of the tracks from the rest of the village and in a floodplain as the first floor and reception is a up a floor with parking underneath. 
It is indeed a flood plain and that does put some constraints on what can be done- but others have dealt with it more tastefully, like the building with Williams-Sonoma and such, or even downright expertly - like the Grand Bohemian. That building pulls it off like sorcery.

In contrast, the Home2 Suites is technically not in Biltmore Village proper, so it tries to get away with a flood-tolerant design done on the cheap.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like another apartment complex is proposed in the area east of Biltmore Village. This one is for a 208 unit 6-story building on London Rd.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s8_2CUqSxCaFiaKEHGTmy1B8ERFg8cas

This goes along with three others completed or proposed near here to make for a total of over 1000 units. All of these are within walking distance of Biltmore Village but it would be a stretch to call them walkable to BV, given the narrow roads and gappy/missing sidewalks they are located on. Really the whole area could desperately use some streetscape work.

* River Mill Lofts (Thompson St; 253 units; completed 2017)

* The District (Fairview Rd; 309 units; completed 2017)

* Catalyst (Fairview Rd; 275 units; proposed 2023)

• Like 1