Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
CLT_sc

QOL qualities of larger nearby cities

Recommended Posts

Since everyone can learn from others, it’s interesting to look at qualities of other larger cities that Greenville may want to emulate.  I am familiar with Charlotte and Greenville, so:

QOL factors

The arts: Greenville has a nice performing arts facility in the Peace Center (although the interior could use work) but, beyond that, the depth isn’t there.  It would be nice to have the Peace Center finished out like Belk and more theaters catering to various levels of shows. Charlotte has layers of performing venues to accommodate shows from broadway to local groups.  From the visual arts, the Mint is really a national level museum and it’s not the only one in the city, it would be nice to see Greenville try and do more in this area.  

Healthcare: GHS is good, not great, CMC Main is a national level hospital with acute facilities.  The Children’s hospital is world class.  The upstate trails healthcare by a good margin.

connectivity: both places have traffic.  Greenville simply needs more transit.  Charlotte has 20 miles of light rail in operation and more coming.  Street cars will go through town connecting neighborhoods and the bus system, while not great, is comprehensive.

air: not much GSP can do here to close the gap with CLT. The metrics are too wide to mention.

jobs: this is a big issue in the upstate.  Gaining good paying jobs is challenging, the area is manufacturing centered. Charlotte attracts Fortune 500 HQ’s. Greenville’s developments are often driven by the city and county government, Charlotte is market driven.  Would be nice for Greenville to get off the government dependency.

income: a derivative of jobs, but the gap should be smaller.

Activities: Charlotte has the NFL, NBA and MLS. The city offers greenways, bike trails, neighborhood parks.  Greenville does a good job here.

in migration: Charlotte attracts 60k new residents each year and has become a top city for millennials/recent college grads.  Greenville is trying to become cool, but it is hard to pull that off in SC when Charleston is the big name and Columbia attracts a younger crowd.  Greenville is the center of the Bible Belt which is a hard reputation to overcome in attracting a younger crowd.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


This thread isn’t really a fair comparison as Charlotte is a much larger metro area population wise. Due to this, that city is obviously going to have more amenities than Greenville. Same could be said for Atlanta vs Charlotte. Greenville should be compared to peer cities such as Charleston, Columbia, Knoxville, Greensboro, etc. instead. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gman430 said:

This thread isn’t really a fair comparison as Charlotte is a much larger metro area population wise. Due to this, that city is obviously going to have more amenities than Greenville. Same could be said for Atlanta vs Charlotte. Greenville should be compared to peer cities such as Charleston, Columbia, Knoxville, Greensboro, etc. instead. 

That’s a fair point, but many in Greenville have claimed that Greenville has a higher QOL than Charlotte, so it’s why I started there.  Charlotte would obviously trail ATL in a lot of things....would love to have that aquarium here.

But, some things aren’t as size driven.  An example is job recruitment, Greenville and SC need to recruit more higher quality jobs. Greenville and Columbia would compare equally on most levels, Charleston is a different level. 

Edited by CLT_sc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gman430 said:

This thread isn’t really a fair comparison as Charlotte is a much larger metro area population wise. Due to this, that city is obviously going to have more amenities than Greenville. Same could be said for Atlanta vs Charlotte. Greenville should be compared to peer cities such as Charleston, Columbia, Knoxville, Greensboro, etc. instead. 

gman430, ignore the guy. The post are ignorant and about ego. He needs to look down on something to elevate himself. Just ignore it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

gman430, ignore the guy. The post are ignorant and about ego. He needs to look down on something to elevate himself. Just ignore it.

Here’s a question, why do you talk about me instead of your city?  If there are great qualities, share them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't this be in the coffee house, as it's not development related? Or perhaps in the Charlotte forum, as the original post and discussion is not about Greenville at all? Asking for a friend. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Shouldn't this be in the coffee house, as it's not development related? Or perhaps in the Charlotte forum, as the original post and discussion is not about Greenville at all? Asking for a friend. 

 

Tell your friend, it’s a 50/50 call about where the thread should be, some of it is development related.  

But, if you read the post, there is a lot about Greenville. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Typical behavior here, don't take bait fellas. Just another thread to boast about how much better Charlotte is. A complete troll thread.

At some point, you moton, and others should talk more about your city.  If it’s great, post why.  And, if you are really interested in development and improving QOL, it is critical to assess where you are and what could be improved. Sadly, maybe that should be added to the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is about Greenville, Iowa right? :D We have corn fields and John Deere tractors everywhere.

Edited by gman430

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things I'd love to see in Greenville:

I'd love to see more public art, especially along the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Greenville does well with statues and approaching its public art funding in a sustainable manner. However, I'd love to see more murals, abstract sculptures, and textures integrated into the city's fabric. Atlanta has done a great job with public art, and can be a place to emulate when it comes to integrating art with the trail system. Richmond would be another model!

I'd love to see a streetcar system developed. However, I've yet to experience a newer one on the east coast that has justified its existence. Atlanta and the District of Columbia have failed miserably on this front. Unfortunately, other locales' poor decision making in the development of routes may doom other cities' opportunities. In the meantime, I hope our trolley routes can convey people to meaningful destinations and help develop a mindset and support for an urban transportation network.

Greenville has a great arts scene. The local community of makers, and the museums are on par or above with most peers. You're not going to find a greater collection of Baroque art in the United States. The new museum complex will help showcase all of this, and make it more accessible to the public.  However, something I would love to see in Greenville is a contemporary art collection. Raleigh's contemporary art museum is small, but fantastic! I'd love to have that started up in Greenville as well.  Perhaps in the Village?

 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

You said Greenville was like Portland, tell us why. 

Which Portland though? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i want to hear more from you.  tell us more about CLT and how it makes you feel more adequate

Edited by gvegascple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Which Portland though? 

Good question

1 minute ago, gvegascple said:

i want to hear more from you.  tell us more about CLT and how it makes you feel larger in stature and less limp

LOL, are you here to talk about development? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CLT_sc said:

Good question

LOL, are you here to talk about development? 

your emotional development?

QOL of people with nothing better to do than bash other cities on their boards.... Lets start with CLT_sc

Edited by gvegascple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

your emotional development?

QOL of people with nothing better to do than bash other cities on their boards.... Lets start with CLT_sc

Good, it appears you are more interested in trying to be funny, I’m sure a forum exist for that.  

Thanks, but don’t worry about me. Now, if you don’t want to talk about Greenville, why are you on here?

15 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Things I'd love to see in Greenville:

I'd love to see more public art, especially along the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Greenville does well with statues and approaching its public art funding in a sustainable manner. However, I'd love to see more murals, abstract sculptures, and textures integrated into the city's fabric. Atlanta has done a great job with public art, and can be a place to emulate when it comes to integrating art with the trail system. Richmond would be another model!

I'd love to see a streetcar system developed. However, I've yet to experience a newer one on the east coast that has justified its existence. Atlanta and the District of Columbia have failed miserably on this front. Unfortunately, other locales' poor decision making in the development of routes may doom other cities' opportunities. In the meantime, I hope our trolley routes can convey people to meaningful destinations and help develop a mindset and support for an urban transportation network.

Greenville has a great arts scene. The local community of makers, and the museums are on par or above with most peers. You're not going to find a greater collection of Baroque art in the United States. The new museum complex will help showcase all of this, and make it more accessible to the public.  However, something I would love to see in Greenville is a contemporary art collection. Raleigh's contemporary art museum is small, but fantastic! I'd love to have that started up in Greenville as well.  Perhaps in the Village?

 

Best post I have seen from you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Good, it appears you are more interested in trying to be funny, I’m sure a forum exist for that.  

Thanks, but don’t worry about me. Now, if you don’t want to talk about Greenville, why are you on here?

This topic is about QOL of cities near Greenville. You started it.  I am posting about the QOL of a place like CLT and what drives people from there to post on other cities pages.  Well, really just one of them.  A troll, you might know him.

 

I am growing bored of your posts.  elevating you to iggy status and well deserved id say give yourself a hand, but you are a troll so...

Edited by gvegascple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

This topic is about QOL of cities near Greenville. You started it.  I am posting about the QOL of a place like CLT and what drives people from there to post on other cities pages.  Well, really just one of them.  A troll, you might know him.

 

I am growing bored of your posts.  elevating you to iggy status and well deserved id say give yourself a hand, but you are a troll so...

That’s nice, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah, these posts are so much more informative with CLT on iggy.  Its like the world is a better place with them gone.Oh I am sure i am not the first to say that though.  ahhhhhhh

 

are you replying to your own posts now?  you have worn out your welcome you sad lonely fool

Edited by gvegascple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest thing for Greenville in my opinion right now is connecting the peripherals of downtown across the major thoroughfares safely. We need more people walking to downtown from surrounding areas instead of the drive and park scenario. A permeable network across Academy, Stone, Church, Dunbar, etc. is key. I hate crossing 4 lane highways, but I get why they need to exist. More well-marked pedestrian and bike crossings would be a start. Foot bridges would be the safest bet but not always the most aesthetically pleasing. Ill be interested to see how the SRT bridge at Laurens/Stone turns out.

Does anyone know of peer cities that do this well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to topic... QOL of the cities near GVL and what is lacking such that posters are driven to bash GVL.   Only problem with this topic is that only one troll cares.

Edited by gvegascple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

This thread is about Greenville, Iowa right? :D We have corn fields and John Deere tractors everywhere.

John Deere has closed some of its facilities in China and has restricted travel to China because of the Corona virus.

And Greenville has a fantastic arts scene, with different flavors in each of the arts districts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.