Holiday Inn Express Hotel (333 Union St., 11 stories plus rooftop bar level, 116 rooms)

markhollin

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

It is because this are of the downtown is considered the "Core Historic Subdistrict". These are typically developed to try and maintain a certain level character within the area. Now I am not advocating that this building is deserving of that distinction, but it just so happens that the building is around other historic buildings and the city wants the property to fall into that category. If you literally flop to the other side of Union, there is a 30 story height cap (with bonus height). It's all about character really.

That makes sense, but what's with the 30 story height limit on the other side of Union?  Why is this city so obsessed with self-imposed height limits?  Is there anywhere in this city a building can just be free to rise as tall as it wants?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

That makes sense, but what's with the 30 story height limit on the other side of Union?  Why is this city so obsessed with self-imposed height limits?  Is there anywhere in this city a building can just be free to rise as tall as it wants?

Technically no. There are caps in all sections of the Downtown Code. It would not surprise me if the airport and their flight paths have a large hand in height restrictions. FAA have a large hand in how cities build up as they do have a say in heights for floor altitudes of aircraft. If the FAA does not approve heights, it becomes VERY hard to insure a building. Here is a link to Boston's Airspace map around Logan International Airport. I haven't been able to locate something like this for BNA (possible @LA_TN knows if this exists?). There does not appear to be a direct approach over the downtown area, but I know from experience that I have seen low flying southwest flights go right over downtown. So that could play into it.

13 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Technically no. There are caps in all sections of the Downtown Code. It would not surprise me if the airport and their flight paths have a large hand in height restrictions. FAA have a large hand in how cities build up as they do have a say in heights for floor altitudes of aircraft. If the FAA does not approve heights, it becomes VERY hard to insure a building. Here is a link to Boston's Airspace map around Logan International Airport. I haven't been able to locate something like this for BNA (possible @LA_TN knows if this exists?). There does not appear to be a direct approach over the downtown area, but I know from experience that I have seen low flying southwest flights go right over downtown. So that could play into it.

Hmm, I am aware of FAA enforced height restrictions (San Diego is a prime example of the effect these restrictions can have on a skyline,) but I wasn't aware that Nashville had one in effect.  I mean downtown Nashville is really no closer to BNA than uptown Charlotte is to CLT.  Does a jet really need more than five miles to clear 600 feet?

42 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Does a jet really need more than five miles to clear 600 feet?

The info I was able to find may only relate to the radar tower, novicness at work lol.

This is the map I was able to find.... The VFR Chart, the 46/24 are in hundreds of feet.

image.thumb.png.514c9c703630e9c9f2ca5f5f31f06719.png

• Thanks 4

Runway 13/31 directly lines up with downtown, thus the reason Tony G only proposed 750 ft for Church St. Park. That is the max height the FAA will allow for that site (will vary by location and elevation). You can build taller than the FAA limit, but then the building is not insurable

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

Runway 13/31 directly lines up with downtown, thus the reason Tony G only proposed 750 ft for Church St. Park. That is the max height the FAA will allow for that site (will vary by location and elevation). You can build taller than the FAA limit, but then the building is not insurable

Wait... so Nashville will literally never get a building over 750 ft tall?  I'm not sure how I never knew this... what a gut punch!  :tw_persevere:

Also, thank you @Bos2Nash for digging that map up!  Very informative.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 7:42 PM, Bos2Nash said:

The info I was able to find may only relate to the radar tower, novicness at work lol.

This is the map I was able to find.... The VFR Chart, the 46/24 are in hundreds of feet.

So those are the airspace zones around the airport. The 46/24 and 46/12 means that it is a controlled airspace zone in that area between 2,600ft and 4,600ft and 2,100ft and 4,600ft ASL respectively, and the 46/SFC means it's controlled airspace from the surface to 4,600 feet. Basically, aircraft going through that area, either transiting or heading to the airport, have to get clearance from the tower to avoid interfering with flight operations at the field. It doesn't really have anything to do with obstacles, those are noted by the inverted V with a dot, and the numbers next to them are the maximum height of the obstacle in feet above sea level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is an apartment complex on Charlotte near Sylvan Park that has red like this and in less than two years, it is a very light pink color.  I don't understand how these architects and developers use things that will easily fade.  A similar situation occurs where they use natural wood to accent and only use a stain or sealant, not paint, and in less than a year, the wood looks like crap.  

On 4/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, GreenHillsBoy said:

There is an apartment complex on Charlotte near Sylvan Park that has red like this and in less than two years, it is a very light pink color.  I don't understand how these architects and developers use things that will easily fade.  A similar situation occurs where they use natural wood to accent and only use a stain or sealant, not paint, and in less than a year, the wood looks like crap.  

Nine times out of ten the architect specifies something that really won't fade. There are many many many products out there that are thru colored and/or warrantied against fading. It is developers trying to cut corners and raise profit when they sell the building. The one in sylvan park you mentioned i believe either sold or went under new management so it is clear the developers don't really care about the building quality. Architects are the easy ones to blame, but these multi-family projects are so owner/developer driven that things like finish materials always get chopped down.

Wood is a natural material and is incredibly sustainable, but requires more upkeep. Terrahouse has a wood wall in the pool area and they take care of it every couple years with cleaning and re-staining.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...