Jump to content

markhollin

333 Union Hotel (11 stories plus rooftop bar level, about 100 rooms)

Recommended Posts


3 hours ago, ajs said:

A little sad that a downtown building has to get special "bonus height" permission to build 11 stories.

Yeah, don't understand that.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is because this are of the downtown is considered the "Core Historic Subdistrict". These are typically developed to try and maintain a certain level character within the area. Now I am not advocating that this building is deserving of that distinction, but it just so happens that the building is around other historic buildings and the city wants the property to fall into that category. If you literally flop to the other side of Union, there is a 30 story height cap (with bonus height). It's all about character really.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

It is because this are of the downtown is considered the "Core Historic Subdistrict". These are typically developed to try and maintain a certain level character within the area. Now I am not advocating that this building is deserving of that distinction, but it just so happens that the building is around other historic buildings and the city wants the property to fall into that category. If you literally flop to the other side of Union, there is a 30 story height cap (with bonus height). It's all about character really.

That makes sense, but what's with the 30 story height limit on the other side of Union?  Why is this city so obsessed with self-imposed height limits?  Is there anywhere in this city a building can just be free to rise as tall as it wants?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

That makes sense, but what's with the 30 story height limit on the other side of Union?  Why is this city so obsessed with self-imposed height limits?  Is there anywhere in this city a building can just be free to rise as tall as it wants?

Technically no. There are caps in all sections of the Downtown Code. It would not surprise me if the airport and their flight paths have a large hand in height restrictions. FAA have a large hand in how cities build up as they do have a say in heights for floor altitudes of aircraft. If the FAA does not approve heights, it becomes VERY hard to insure a building. Here is a link to Boston's Airspace map around Logan International Airport. I haven't been able to locate something like this for BNA (possible @LA_TN knows if this exists?). There does not appear to be a direct approach over the downtown area, but I know from experience that I have seen low flying southwest flights go right over downtown. So that could play into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Technically no. There are caps in all sections of the Downtown Code. It would not surprise me if the airport and their flight paths have a large hand in height restrictions. FAA have a large hand in how cities build up as they do have a say in heights for floor altitudes of aircraft. If the FAA does not approve heights, it becomes VERY hard to insure a building. Here is a link to Boston's Airspace map around Logan International Airport. I haven't been able to locate something like this for BNA (possible @LA_TN knows if this exists?). There does not appear to be a direct approach over the downtown area, but I know from experience that I have seen low flying southwest flights go right over downtown. So that could play into it.

Hmm, I am aware of FAA enforced height restrictions (San Diego is a prime example of the effect these restrictions can have on a skyline,) but I wasn't aware that Nashville had one in effect.  I mean downtown Nashville is really no closer to BNA than uptown Charlotte is to CLT.  Does a jet really need more than five miles to clear 600 feet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Does a jet really need more than five miles to clear 600 feet?

The info I was able to find may only relate to the radar tower, novicness at work lol.

This is the map I was able to find.... The VFR Chart, the 46/24 are in hundreds of feet.

image.thumb.png.514c9c703630e9c9f2ca5f5f31f06719.png

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Runway 13/31 directly lines up with downtown, thus the reason Tony G only proposed 750 ft for Church St. Park. That is the max height the FAA will allow for that site (will vary by location and elevation). You can build taller than the FAA limit, but then the building is not insurable

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

Runway 13/31 directly lines up with downtown, thus the reason Tony G only proposed 750 ft for Church St. Park. That is the max height the FAA will allow for that site (will vary by location and elevation). You can build taller than the FAA limit, but then the building is not insurable

Wait... so Nashville will literally never get a building over 750 ft tall?  I'm not sure how I never knew this... what a gut punch!  :tw_persevere:

Also, thank you @Bos2Nash for digging that map up!  Very informative.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.