Not-so well known Raleigh Restaurants

Since we now have our own forum, I thought it'd be a good idea to start talking about what makes Raleigh (and the Triangle) so great...starting with food (whats better than that, right?) Anyway, post your favorite restaurant that many of us may not know about. Tell us why its great, the price ranges, or anything else...

I'll start -

A couple years ago around this time a restaurant opened called "Porter's Tavern" on Hillsborough street. Its owned by the same people that own Frazier's (which is next door). It has reasonable prices, its a cozy restaurant with modern furnishings but with a classic look and feel. The bar is nice with a flat panel TV.

The food is fantastic - it kind of has a modern feel. They have some steak cooking thing (not sure what it is) but it turns out great steaks. Their porkchop is also very good. Everyone I've ever taken has nothing but praise -- anyone else ever eaten here?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple years ago around this time a restaurant opened called "Porter's Tavern" on Hillsborough street.  Its owned by the same people that own Frazier's (which is next door).  It has reasonable prices, its a cozy restaurant with modern furnishings but with a classic look and feel.  The bar is nice with a flat panel TV.

....anyone else ever eaten here?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've eaten at Frazier's for lunch once a couple years ago, and Porter's for dinner a couple months ago. Porter's can be pretty crowded on a Friday night, though. The prices are certainly fair for the atmosphere and quality of the food, but unfortunately, I'm poor, so going to a restaurant of this caliber is something I can only afford to do once every couple of months...

Here's a couple of my favorites, on the cheap end of the spectrum - $8 or less for a full meal. Both of these places have self-serve soda machines if that tells you anything, but you can't expect to go "upscale" every time you eat out, can you? :thumbsup:

First, we have Bali Hai on Wake Forest Rd roughly one mile inside the beltline. It's certainly not an urban oasis nor is it a classy restaurant by any stretch, but it's a great place to get some mongolian barbecue. I hear that another Bali Hai opened up in Durham about three years ago, too.

Another one I liked (but it seems to have closed about a year ago?) is the Bread and Kabob on Main St in downtown Durham. Once again, far from a "classy" joint but they had some pretty amazing pakistani food.

Being a suburbanite in the Triangle area since my early teens, my experience with local restaurants is lacking. Sadly I've spent more time in chain restaurants than anywhere else.

I've eaten Hayes Barton Grille and Lily's of course--very good IMO. I've had lunch at Sadlacks before (back in the mid 90s--was pretty good actually). I've been to Two Guys Pizza a number of times and it's always nice.

I've yet to try Raleigh-NC's restaurant in Cameron Village (Picola Italia) but everytime I've been in there to chat I've started salivating from the smells.

I've eaten at Joe's Place just once (back in 1997?)--it wasn't all that good then, but that was the only time I've tried it.

There are maybe a few more places that I can't think of at the moment. I hope to pick up some good advice in this thread! :)

I've yet to try Raleigh-NC's restaurant in Cameron Village (Picola Italia) but everytime I've been in there to chat I've started salivating from the smells.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooh yeah, that's a favorite among my friends and I. The garlic knots are to die for. Screw Olive Garden, Ragazzi's, and whatever other chain italian restaurants there might be out there. Picola Italia rules.

Since we now have our own forum, I thought it'd be a good idea to start talking about what makes Raleigh (and the Triangle) so great...starting with food (whats better than that, right?)  Anyway, post your favorite restaurant that many of us may not know about.  Tell us why its great, the price ranges, or anything else...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me add that if none of you have ever been to The Brass Grill on Wilmington St. then you're in for a real treat. The food is great and the atmosphere is very New York City like (loud and really busy!). Sadly, I believe, they are only open for lunch. Drop by sometime as I'm sure you'll love it.

OMG.... Casa Cabone is like my favorite italian restaurant ever. It's in a shopping center on Glenwood Ave, but don't let its location fool you. Inside, you will hear authentic Italian accents and eat on candle-lit tables. It's sooo romantic. I would suggest taking someone on a date there.

I've wanted to go to Piccola Italia for some time now, and have only heard good things.

Yesterday for lunch I went to Est Est Est (corner of Harget and Salisbury, I think). Service was lacking, but the food (Italian) was very good, and lunch especially was reasonably priced.

Has anyone ever gone to Moe's Diner? I've wanted to try it for a while too, but I always forget about it or don't have the funds ;)

Nana's Chophouse on Davie Street is also great, awesome atmosphere, good food. Nice place to go on a Friday night with a date.

My favorites:

Enoteca Vin - French food, wine on tap

Shaba Shabu - Thai food, apparently good sushi, several excellent martinis

Ubipi Cafe - Vegetarian South Indian, great lunch buffet

Rockford - Creative sandwiches, low prices

Lilly's - Great pizza, when they don't lose your order

Porter's - Good food, sangria

Love this topic! Here are some of my favorites locally.

Bistro 607 on Glenwood South...GREAT place, would recommend to anyone.

Porter's on Hillsborough St

Lantern in Chapel Hill

Mama Dip's, Chapel Hill...amazing southern food

Cosmic Cantina, Durham and CH...the best Cal-Mex around and they're both open til 4am every day of the week

Verde in Durham has a really good brunch on Saturdays

• 2 weeks later...

A little Late Los Cuates at North Market Square. A mexican resturant much like the ones you see in Arizona and Cali. Not fancy but great. Go to the counter and order and they bring it to you. No free chips but free vegs in the salsa bar. It on Old Wake Forest Raod right next to the Kanki hear Hooters and the Bojangles. Great fish tocos and Breakfast Burritos :lol::lol:

There is a new Korean restaurant, Waba, that just opened on Hillsborough St. It's on the second floor above Shanghai Express. I haven't been there yet, but I love Korean food... so assuming that the food is good I'll probably become a regular. This has the potential to be a superb addition to the restaurant scene in the University area.

^ near what cross street?  Is Shanghai Express across from campus?  I live about a mile from there--might have to check it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it's right across from campus. It's just a little east of Western Lanes bowling alley, and a little west of Horne St. It has a small blue awning over the entrance (a staircase like Mitch's). As for parking, I don't recommend it during the day unless you can find a metered space on street. There's about a billion bus routes that go down Hillsborough (All the Wolfine routes, CAT 4 & 12, TTA 105, 107, and 151) so there's really no need. After 5:00pm you can use the large university-owned lot next to Bruegger's.

If you get a chance to check it out, let me know how it is!

Shanghai Express is your generic chinese place; Waba is the Korean place.

• 10 months later...

yes, casa cabone is wonderful. growing up in raleigh, use to go there as a kid, when it was known as villa capri (anyone remember that). i took my little girl there last month, and their pizza is some of the best pizza i have ever had! up there with andy's, if not a tad better! they have a full italian menu too. the calamari is especially good!!! if you like italian food, you can't go wrong with casa cabone!

OMG.... Casa Cabone is like my favorite italian restaurant ever. It's in a shopping center on Glenwood Ave, but don't let its location fool you. Inside, you will hear authentic Italian accents and eat on candle-lit tables. It's sooo romantic. I would suggest taking someone on a date there.

The Rockford on Glenwood

Oakwood Cafe on Person St.

Hotpoint Deli on Buck Jones Rd. (Cary)

Excellent Choices!

One hidden gem for authentic chinese food is the cafe & bakery inside Grand Asia Market in Cary. And if you work near Airport Blvd, Baby Moon is not bad.

there is a really nice cuban resturant in downtown raleigh called cuba and it is right off the mall verrry good :wub:

I heard a rumor that Cuba and Est Est Est are both closing--the owner supposedly blaming all the downtown construction for the lack of business (ummm...and also their apparent inability to serve a simple pasta lunch in less than 2 hours could have been a factor too IMHO) I haven't had a chance to check their website so maybe this is just rumor. Anyway if it's true I say good riddance--the atmosphere at Est was great and their food was good but the service was LOUSY--I went there several times for lunch and we always ended up having to wait forever to get the bill even when there were like only 2 other tables there)--can't comment about Cuba since I never got there but always heard the food was good. BTW...Cafe Luna is an awesome alternative--good food, sexy waitstaff and great atmosphere.

I heard a rumor that Cuba and Est Est Est are both closing--the owner supposedly blaming all the downtown construction for the lack of business (ummm...and also their apparent inability to serve a simple pasta lunch in less than 2 hours could have been a factor too IMHO) I haven't had a chance to check their website so maybe this is just rumor. Anyway if it's true I say good riddance--the atmosphere at Est was great and their food was good but the service was LOUSY--I went there several times for lunch and we always ended up having to wait forever to get the bill even when there were like only 2 other tables there)--can't comment about Cuba since I never got there but always heard the food was good. BTW...Cafe Luna is an awesome alternative--good food, sexy waitstaff and great atmosphere.

Yeah, they're closed. The owner is going to open a place in the old Daryl's building on Hillsborough St.

Anyway, 2 of my favorites:

Five Star has some of my favorite Chinese and The Roast Grill, an old school hotdog joint downtown, is great for a cheap bite.

Archived