Not-so well known Raleigh Restaurants

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but Duck and Dumpling simply rocks. Maybe the best Asian food I've had ever. (note: I have not been to Asia)

Still, if we're going to Raleigh for something at BTI, we pretty much plug in D/D as a default. Been there three times, NEVER a disappointment. Also, I ate at Second Empire a while back, down in the basement. Great atmosphere, terrific food, and prices were much less than expected for the quality received.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old thread with new Life

An interesting place is Cafe Cafe which is in the office building behind Denny's on Wake Forest Rd just on the outside of the beltline next to Bahama Breeze. It is an African and Vietmanese place. Odd mixture. Look for green awning. Just a husband/wife couple who started a restaurant.

Another, and one of the best finds, is Thai House on Wake Forest behind the old Books-A-Million. In the old Thai Garden spot. This is not the same old Thai Garden that was there. New ownership and the whole place has been re-done. It is very good.

But I wil also repeat that that Los Coutes next to Kanki on Old Wake Forest in North Market Shopping Cneter and very good casual mexican. They serve Posale and Caldo de Cameron (shrimp soup) on weekends.

I am finding that the best small private places for ethnic foods are around Wake Forest Rd/Falls of Nuese over to Capital. More and more of these places are opening up. Kind of like the Greek, Italian, Irish and Polish surge in the early 1900's. Live the Ameican Dream.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but Duck and Dumpling simply rocks. Maybe the best Asian food I've had ever. (note: I have not been to Asia)

Still, if we're going to Raleigh for something at BTI, we pretty much plug in D/D as a default. Been there three times, NEVER a disappointment. Also, I ate at Second Empire a while back, down in the basement. Great atmosphere, terrific food, and prices were much less than expected for the quality received.

D&D is good, for sure. However, they realize this, and the prices there are pretty ridiculous for Raleigh-this isn't Manhattan or L.A. yet. 8 bucks for a makers on the rocks is a little steep for this town, in my opinion. And 8 bucks for dumplings? Dim sum in L.A. is way cheaper and better, and I'm not sure if the pleasantness of the space makes up for that. If they cut prices 15% across the board, I'd eat there 3-4 times a week.

are you talking about the forks lunchroom at falls and old 98?

No doubt he is speaking of the Forks Lunchroom where Falls makes the kink near 98. Best lima beans in town.

Archived