Reed District: 8 towers ranging from 8 to 44 stories (500'?), 1.5 million sq. ft. office space; 1,000 residential units; 150K sq. ft. retail space; 250 room hotel on 12 acres at NE corner of Broadway and 16th Ave. North

markhollin

This reminds me of Bass Barry complaining about the Four Seasons. Give me a break. He objects to a Canyon Effect - which is kind of the dream for Broadway / West End. His statement more or less is don't mess with my condo and office views. What a jackass especially for a first time out of state developer trying to dampen the ability for density on our biggest artery.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, JoeyX said:

Wonder if there is a similar style legal action that will occur.

There is something called "Rights to Light" which can be a basis for a lawsuit, but I'm not aware of any precedent in Tennessee or Georgia. It'd be tough to claim impaired quality of life in a city that doesn't have a great number of skyscrapers, especially on adjacent parcels. It seems quite clear to me that this is more a competitive situation between two developers. A lawsuit would be costly for both parties. and that would explain why Hines hired S9 to do their shadow studies (IDK, but it's probably a standard step for projects of this type).  I'd expect Probst is just trying to see what sort of influence they can have in the planning stage of the Reed project. It seems there could be a better tone between both parties at this early stage. One of the things we attorneys like to think of ourselves is as peacemakers. I know that probably sounds like a joke to many here, but where a nasty lawsuit can be avoided it's best to pursue that route. 

BTW: Not overlooking what Hines can build already per current zoning. I assume there's some considerable height allowed along the Broadway axis. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

Help me understand this...  So, BroadWest is a two tower development right?  Both towers are positioned north to south pretty much.  Neither will broadly face Broadway or Hayes.  So, aren't they in essence  going to be blocking views of downtown and midtown within their own development?  Unless you are in an office that is on the east side of the tower that is on the 16th street side of the project, you will not have views of downtown.  Unless you are in an apartment/condo that is on the 17th street side of the project, you will not have views of midtown.  One side of each tower will face towards the other tower.  at best you'll have angled views  to the north and south.

If I'm the developer of the Reed District, I would include those arguments to show that BW is just creating a nonissue looking for public sentiment to block another developer from building taller buildings nearby.

• Thanks 1

Funny thing is I'd really enjoy seeing a developer propose a skyscraper on the corner of Hermitage and KVB (the vacant MDHA lot).  It'd be fun to see John Eakin try to sell his 'offices with a view' when all prospects know that view won't last very long. He really should have gone at least up to 20 stories at that site.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Funny thing is I'd really enjoy seeing a developer propose a skyscraper on the corner of Hermitage and KVB (the vacant MDHA lot).  It'd be fun to see John Eakin try to sell his 'offices with a view' when all prospects know that view won't last very long. He really should have gone at least up to 20 stories at that site.

And that is EXACTLY why MDHA will let Eakin fill Peabody Place before taking bids on the KVB corner lot - that's our Nashville buddy system scratch my back, I'll scratch yours

Skyhouse is built and full. Now comes along developer with plans to build a new tower directly in front of it that will be 50 ft taller - blocking all views of Skyhouse. But there is no mention of a lawsuit because the Skyhouse already has their $$$

Obviously, it will be easier and much more profitable to fill BroadWest without the Reed district plans on the horizon 

• Like 1

Speaking of air rights... When I saw the photo below, it reminded me of the days when I worked at Nortel Networks in Metro Center and I remembered that Nortel purchased air rights at least to the south to ensure that the view of the downtown skyline was not blocked from certain floors.   Given that Nortel is long gone, are air rights transferable to new owners of a building? And, are there limitations on air rights or are they perpetual regardless of ownership?  Sorry if this is a little off subject, but since air rights came up as part of the conversation over the Reed development, I was just curious.

MetroCenter from Holiday Inn Select, Jan, 2020, 1 x.jpg

Air rights can be sold or leased and work the same way. If leased, there will be a term. And yes, they can be transferable. I'd guess the air rights were between Nortel and the various property owners and was dissolved when Nortel ceased to exist. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Air rights can be sold or leased and work the same way. If leased, there will be a term. And yes, they can be transferable. I'd guess the air rights were between Nortel and the various property owners and was dissolved when Nortel ceased to exist. 

Thanks!  Now that makes me wonder why hasn't anyone built anything taller in Metro Center to have a better skyline view.  But, as it relates to this topic, if Broad West wanted to ensure views of downtown or midtown for that matter, they should have thought about air rights.  With the growth of Nashville, one had to at least assume that parcels of land around the old Palmer Lake would eventually be sold and developed.  I can only assume that property taxes in that area will eventually become more than what the car dealerships are willing to pay.

5 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Thanks!  Now that makes me wonder why hasn't anyone built anything taller in Metro Center to have a better skyline view.  But, as it relates to this topic, if Broad West wanted to ensure views of downtown or midtown for that matter, they should have thought about air rights.  With the growth of Nashville, one had to at least assume that parcels of land around the old Palmer Lake would eventually be sold and developed.  I can only assume that property taxes in that area will eventually become more than what the car dealerships are willing to pay.

Reed doesn't have to sell their air rights, though. 

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

Reed doesn't have to sell their air rights, though. 

Thanks.  I assumed as much.  But, if BW was concerned about losing views, seems like they would have made an effort to do so with Reed prior to the announcement of a proposed development project on the Reed property.

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Thanks.  I assumed as much.  But, if BW was concerned about losing views, seems like they would have made an effort to do so with Reed prior to the announcement of a proposed development project on the Reed property.

yeah, to me they either were surprised that the Reed family teamed up with such a prominent developer, or they knew about the development and are throwing a hail mary hoping that zoning prohibits the reed development. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Hines has agreed to height limits on buildings and height limits on above-grade parking on the piece of the Reed site closest to Broadwest (that project's office tower is under construction on the opposite side of 16th Avenue North, which is a three-lane street).

Hines also agreed to create more space between what it plans to build on 16th Avenue North and the Broadwest office tower, by placing its future building or buildings further back from the property line.

"We have been working feverishly with the Hines group to understand their application and express a few concerns," said Chris Brown (of Probst who is building Broadwest) said at the board meeting. "I'm happy to report we've reached an agreement. … We are in favor of the board approving the applicant's request."

Those appeared to be the magic words. The Metro Board of Zoning Appeals approved the plan minutes later.

A new massing render below.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/05/08/last-second-compromise-paves-way-as-metro-vote.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Reed District, May 8, 2020, massing render.png

Nothing too impressive height wise, but man, what a transformation for Broadway/West End.

Imagine if the proposed building at the split gets built, and something eventually gets built on the Nashville Sign site. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Nothing too impressive height wise, but man, what a transformation for Broadway/West End.

Imagine if the proposed building at the split gets built, and something eventually gets built on the Nashville Sign site. 

Times Square Manhattan Stock Pictures, Royalty-free Photos ...

• Like 1