Reed District: 8 towers ranging from 8 to 44 stories (500'?), 1.5 million sq. ft. office space; 1,000 residential units; 150K sq. ft. retail space; 250 room hotel on 12 acres at NE corner of Broadway and 16th Ave. North

markhollin

43 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Nothing too impressive height wise, but man, what a transformation for Broadway/West End.

Imagine if the proposed building at the split gets built, and something eventually gets built on the Nashville Sign site. 

Your right, even with the building on the far right being 39 floors, it would still only be just over 400 depending on how much of a base they do, but with the amount of development in the other buildings I would suspect it would be strictly residential.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:04 AM, markhollin said:

Reed District, May 8, 2020, massing render.png

What I don't understand is that this appears to totally block the views from Broadwest.  How does this help them?  I figured Broadwest was wanting there to be an open window through the Reed development to see out towards downtown.

Edited by titanhog

40 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I think that diagram is misleading, as it shows several 30+ story buildings to be only as tall as the 22-story Broadwest office tower.  I trust any compromise was not based on that diagram, or someone got suckered. 

It sounds like the compromise involves a larger setback along 16th. 

51 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

This is what was originally planed before the compromise I think.

Then I guess I can see, a little, where Broadwest wouldn't be happy.  It's almost like building a wall right in front of your new building.  But...I would sure like to see the new renders to see what the compromise looks like.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 7:04 AM, markhollin said:

Reed District, May 8, 2020, massing render.png

Whether or not this diagram is being presented as a compromise, this would be a win for the city. 16th Avenue has the potential to become an essential street (although I'm not sure what Broadwest's activation of it is). Think about the ground flor retail and weekday lunch spots that could open up along these streets. Presuming an appropriate amount of urban planning goes into the street level to make sure it is walkable and not completely car dominant. 

They were talking about what, 10-15 year buildout?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

Whether or not this diagram is being presented as a compromise, this would be a win for the city. 16th Avenue has the potential to become an essential street (although I'm not sure what Broadwest's activation of it is). Think about the ground flor retail and weekday lunch spots that could open up along these streets. Presuming an appropriate amount of urban planning goes into the street level to make sure it is walkable and not completely car dominant. 

They were talking about what, 10-15 year buildout?

That's where Broadwest really dropped the ball.    There is no activation of either 16th or 17th.    16th is a blank wall with a narrow set of steps leading up to the plaza, to allow pedestrians to escape the dead street.     17th is just a block long blank wall. 

Because you're right, the potential for both streets, with Reed fronting 16th and future development on 17th, could have been huge.     A missed opportunity. 

image.png.16e1018cf4a0f466f9b966d1727c0402.png

image.png.5b37bbe4f3a523158c216beda6c51272.png

• Like 2

I was very surprised that Probst basically recycled the original plans (e.g. the footprint) of the W.E. Summit, but made the residential tower taller. There are several other layouts that they could have done, such as angling both buildings at a bias to Broadway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

So basically....Broadwest does not really address the street on all 4 sides...right?  Maybe a little on West End...but then again, there's the drive-in loop.  

I think there is some street level retail on the back side along Hayes Street if I remember correctly, but yeah, aside from the height and underground parking it is essentially an insular suburban style concept, unfortunately... kind of like a taller version of Peabody Plaza.  Ugh... really wish Nashville would do something to discourage that type of layout.  

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Smeags... Smeags (look at me)... so you tease us with these tidbits of morsels of nibbles of news (still more than rumors, so "Thanks"), but I'm pleading here... can you throw us maybe a chicken bone or even a little chicken skin as to what it relates to (e.g. height of a building; size of a project; likelihood or a rumor, etc.)?  Not that I don't appreciate what you and others do for us here on our "Starving" forum.   :tw_wink:

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Again unsure if this is for a new dealership or the existing one. If and when Oracle is announced there will be a land rush on parcels north to Trinity. It has already somewhat begun, but it is going to heat up. I know of some other projects that could be in the planning stages along Dickerson, but that is very early on. Others are moving forward as you will see in the coming weeks. And yet others that have stalled may come back to life or get new life under new developers.

Does all of this movement north help with the chances of that crazy, but cool, proposal on the river in Bordeaux to ever come to fruition?  

I doubt it. That was more of a concept proposal I think than anything if it is the one I am thinking of. There were two. One by the Ewing's and the other closer to the East Bank. The East Bank proposal is the one I was talking about.

I think if anything happens with the Ewing project, it will be more a Metro Center if anything, if it ever gets done. The Councilperson in that district that was pushing for the project got defeated, so they lost an ally there. Nothing in the way of zoning changes were put forward and the project required major bridges to succeed. DOA at this stage in the game and that idea will live a lot longer than Ewing Sr. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...