Moscow kaleidoscope: past, present & future

serhio79

Hi again. Let me show the capital of Russia, Moskva by my eyes:

VoskresEnsky (Resurrection) Gates or Iversky Gates (built 1534; redesigned 1680; destroyed 1931, rebuilt 1995), near by Red Square.

9235429AYG.jpg

Golden domes of The Cathedral of Christ the Savior (1839-1883)

I called this picture (my photo + Ph-p slightly) "Symmetrical twilight of Gods" ("

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part 3:

building of metro "Komsomolskaya" between 3 railway stations

stars still here :thumbsup:

9260972OWZ.jpg

exterior frescos of the Spassky Sobor (Savior's Cathedral),the oldest church(1390-1420), and stone building in Moskva

picture of this church you can see higher (Part 1)

9260382DFX.jpg

the walls & towers of AndrOnnikov monastery (XV century)

The monastery was founded by Metropolitan Alexei to fulfill his promise to do so if saved from a storm on the Black Sea during his visit to Constantinople in 1356. The monastery is most famous cause the master Icon artist, AndrEi Rubl

Thank you very much for the wonderful shots. Moscow is a very beautiful city. I was there back in the late 1980's during a class trip when I started college. I returned 3 years ago to visit a friend who had moved there and what a difference. Moscow is very much a worldclass city now. There has been lots of new construction. The biggest difference I noticed between my two visits was the traffic. In 1988, there wasn't any. In 2002, the traffic jams matched it's American counterparts! LOVE THE METRO!

little offtopic:

it seems to me United states have its own Moscow - small town in Texas (?). I'd like to see the pictures for comparison  :D      Is there anybody from American Moskva? :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a Moscow, Idaho, USA, which I have visited (no pictures). It is basically a small university town, home to the University of Idaho. Not much else goes on up there!

I LOVE Moscow State University. Im not sure why its just breathtaking to me. Its also amazing to think about it being built in the earlier years of the USSR. If you look at the construction date of the buildings in Russia they were all mainly constructed in the early years. In the last 20 years of the USSR not many buildings were built at all. I guess they just ran out of funding for these projects.

For what it's worth, Moscow, Idaho, is pronounced differently than Moscow, Russia. In Idaho they say 'Moscow' with a short o, like "moss co". It seems like the Russian city is usually pronounced with a long o, like "moss cow".

Beautiful Photographs, serhio79! Thank you very much for sharing a view of Moskva through your eyes. It makes me want to travel again. :)

For what it's worth, Moscow, Idaho, is pronounced differently than Moscow, Russia.  In Idaho they say 'Moscow' with a short o, like "moss co".  It seems like the Russian city is usually pronounced with a long o, like "moss cow".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, it's pronounced "Mosk-vuh" in Russian, not "Moss-cow." :)

Actually, it's pronounced "Mosk-vuh" in Russian, not "Moss-cow." :)

yes, we say "MoskvA" , pronunciation is [mus - kvA´] , "u" likes in "just"

well, my part 4 :rolleyes:

Moscow metro: "Park PobEdy"("Victory Park") station (2003)

our pride & your ... wallpaper ;):)

moscowmetrovictorypark6wk.jpg

New architecture

moscownewarchitecture8pi.jpg

The past and the present

the bank is left

9499576UZY.jpg

Mosow spires: OstAnkino Tower (TV center, 1967) & the church bell tower

moscowostankinochurchspire3dr.jpg

River side business center in KrAsnye HolmY (Red Hills) (2000)

This absurd, absolutely ludicrous tall tower we, Muscovites call "dog

• 2 weeks later...

2moderator:

smth wrong with my previously uploaded images (for some reason instead of them we can see logo of server). How can I change the links in my old posts :unsure: in order these pictures to be portrayed there carefully?

Now is part 5:

Moscow stock exhange house (built 1836-39; redesigned/rebuilt 1873-75)

moscowstockexhangeoffice7md.jpg

1st five-storey building in Moscow (built 1876)

moscow1stfivestoreybuilding9xp.jpg

Moscow old streets

moscowoldstreets0in.jpg

tanks in Moscow!

(before Victory Parade on May,9 celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Russian Victory over Nazism in WWII)

tanksinmoscow4om.jpg

London in Moscow :)

londoninmoscow7ck.jpg

• 2 months later...

hellow everybody: this is me again :)

new Moscow shots:

this is my shocking montage:

the heart of Moscow - Red Square - 1870 vs 08/2005 (Retro vs Nowadays)B)

some people can't believe in "1870" variant - the difference is too great!

12125538VFW.jpg

new vestibule of "MayakOvskaya" metrostation (mosaic vault):

12611288RJU.jpg

(the same place) new subway turnstiles & marble columns

12611290MIO.jpg

"MayakOvskaya" station (was built in 1938)

one of the most beautiful metrostations in Moskva

12611293FLX.jpg

-----

new photosession'll be posted soon :thumbsup:

Great photos, serhio79!  The ceilings in that Metrostation are fabulous!  Were they just recently restored, or built new recently?

about the last photo:

these ceilings of 1938; the new entrance (passage to the new vestibule) u can see in the distance. The second entrance (it is situated symmetrically), the old ceilings and columns will be restored soon but this metrostation keeps on workin'

(sorry for my English :wub: )

Archived