Federal Reserve Hotel (16 stories, 143' hotel addition atop 226 3rd Ave. North)

markhollin

2 hours ago, e-dub said:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that this building was being used as a private residence - until recently, it seems. Am I making that up?

Yes, it was a private residence.     The building was owned by members of the Choi family (JJ's Market) and one of their sons lived there for a while.    

• Like 2

Ooooooh.... I bet some folks in the Stahlman won't be happy about losing their view of downtown. 

But I love this proposal! Keeping a classic building as a base but expanding on top is a great idea. From the alley, you can see inside this building and it seems to have been deteriorating over the past few years. I'm glad it's being repurposed.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Yes, it was a private residence.     The building was owned by members of the Choi family (JJ's Market) and one of their sons lived there for a while.    

I went to a couple of neighborhood events there when I lived downtown and it was the Choi residence. Beautiful old building.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

At the request of the developer, the MDHA Design Review Committee deferred on a vote for the concept plan and approval of additional height for the hotel.  Bill Miller wanted further discussion from all involved.  No word yet n when a decision will be made.

More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21142317/metro-defers-vote-on-planned-hotel-project

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One issue in tying the buildings together is Metro's insistance that the new addition NOT look like the historic portion. It eleminates a lot of options and creates a lot of frustration for designers.

Look at the new hotels along 4th - Dream & Noelle. Both have very modern additions. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 9:15 AM, Nash_12South said:

One issue in tying the buildings together is Metro's insistance that the new addition NOT look like the historic portion. It eleminates a lot of options and creates a lot of frustration for designers.

Look at the new hotels along 4th - Dream & Noelle. Both have very modern additions. 

I believe the intent is just that. Many times when dealing with historic structures the charge is to create a visually different addition. The goal is to maintain the significant characteristics of the historic structure, but create something that ties into the new context around the structure and keeps the historic structure visible. It's a tricky situation for designers as we are always trying to maintain the historic qualities of a structure like this. Think about the hotel structure being built around the firehouse over in Rutledge Hill, if the new structure blended to the materiality and palette of that firehouse, the firehouse would probably be a bit lost in the whole project.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...