Livingston. . . A new "Main Street"?

dcluley98

It looks like you two-way avenue advocates might be a step closer to getting your wish.

In about 5 years or so.

What the print article below doesn't mention is that Rosalind could possibly become two way as well.

Link to video report below article.

Orlando officials taking bids to make Orange Avenue a two-way street downtown

ORLANDO, Fla. — The city is requesting bids to see which company is planning to pay up to $1 million for a new downtown master plan that would include adding a northbound lane to Orange Avenue downtown.

Orlando city officials are finalizing its request for proposals, which will lead to bids from companies interested in doing the study. Once a company is hired, it’ll take 12 to 18 months before a report is released

City officials said changing Orange Avenue would be one of several projects that could come out of the master plan. Residents will get a say in what it ultimately looks like, too, as there will be meetings and other ways for the public to join the discussion.

Link w/video:

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/orlando-officials-taking-bids-make-orange-avenue-two-way-street-downtown/RUPCVUMPGVAEJLTUAYHZIHWSEU/

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

It looks like you two-way avenue advocates might be a step closer to getting your wish.

In about 5 years or so.

What the print article below doesn't mention is that Rosalind could possibly become two way as well.

Link to video report below article.

Orlando officials taking bids to make Orange Avenue a two-way street downtown

ORLANDO, Fla. — The city is requesting bids to see which company is planning to pay up to $1 million for a new downtown master plan that would include adding a northbound lane to Orange Avenue downtown.

Orlando city officials are finalizing its request for proposals, which will lead to bids from companies interested in doing the study. Once a company is hired, it’ll take 12 to 18 months before a report is released

City officials said changing Orange Avenue would be one of several projects that could come out of the master plan. Residents will get a say in what it ultimately looks like, too, as there will be meetings and other ways for the public to join the discussion.

Link w/video:

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/orlando-officials-taking-bids-make-orange-avenue-two-way-street-downtown/RUPCVUMPGVAEJLTUAYHZIHWSEU/

No road building expert but I'd say they should turn the current left most lane into the other direction lane. Seriously though all parking on Orange should be removed, its so dumb.

30 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

No road building expert but I'd say they should turn the current left most lane into the other direction lane. Seriously though all parking on Orange should be removed, its so dumb.

If they're going to two-way both Orange and Rosalind, they'll need to do away with curbside parking on both.

I would think they'd use the easternmost lane on Orange for northbound traffic and the westernmost lane on Rosalind for southbound traffic.

That way it could be a continuous circular flow.

Getting rid of all curbside parking along both avenues would be crucial it they want to cram bike lanes in there too.

Screenshot-229.png

Doesn't look like they're planning to eliminate any parking from this rendering.

Terrible design. It needs to be one lane in both directions. People shouldn’t be speeding through downtown anyway. Stupid idiots and their car culture. Something like Winter Park’s Park Ave should be the model. There can be street parking. Orlando drivers just need do figure out how to park and be patient, just like most other big cities. Either that or diagonal parking like Beach Dr in St. Pete. We also need protected bike lanes. Otherwise, don’t bother.

Edited by Uncommon
  • Like 3

/zactly. Protected lanes with buffer, inside the parking, if at all.   

That design creates 5 more points of conflict and exposes the "bike lane" to all of the potential mistakes and poor decisions of users while peripheralizing them as an afterthought and seen as a nuisance, if seen at all. 

So awful. I would not ride that. I would ride in the middle of the freaking "car lane" and make them know that I am there. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

I'm OK with bike lanes, but these suggestions of making them the #1 priority while treating automobiles and people who use them like social pariahs is going overboard.

Like it or not, we live in an automobile-centric nation. Bicyclists make up an infinitesimal percentage of commuters, so they shouldn't realistically expect the lives and commuting habits of automobile drivers to be negatively altered and made even more treacherous than it already is, just to accommodate them.

I think that if the city embarks on some overly eager attempt to make downtown more attractive by choking auto traffic to a crawl, it will backfire on them and cause more people to just avoid downtown altogether.

Unless they compensate by drastically reducing garage fees and possibly even eliminating them completely on weekends, which would attract visitors who drive, while allowing them to avoid Orange and Rosalind Avenues altogether.

• Like 1