Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

8 hours ago, TNinVB said:

Of course, by all means! I know how much reassurance can help. Earlier this evening I found myself getting phlegm in my throat that was thicker than usual. I started to have that feeling coming on like my anxiety was going to ramp up. I’m horrible about catastrophic thinking. Well two hours later after taking mucinex,  Benadryl, and drinking some hot tea, the phlegm has cleared up and I feel more at ease. Also I took two melatonin. Not sure how I’m able to type this right now lol. At least I’ll be dozing off soon and my mind will be at rest.

Take care of yourself and if it gets worse do not hesitate to call your doc. You never know.

9 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Gov. Lee has been absolutely disappointing in this. I can’t believe he hadn’t assembled a dedicated task force until this weekend. There’s a balance to be struck between lockdown and economic activity, and he is leaning too far toward the latter.

Also, Lee has only suggested that schools close instead of mandated it. He seems to have a hard time at taking charge and making the hard decisions. 

Now that Trump is pushing for the economy to open by Easter, and if he gets away with that, it will be a disaster. We will end up with a second wave of infections and the hospitals will become even more overwhelmed than what they are now. From all indications the virus will not subside in the warm weather based on what we are seeing in the southern hemisphere. The U.S. will end of becoming isolated from the rest of the world as the disease runs rampant here as other countries ban all travel to the U.S. All the man wants to do is get reelected no matter the cost. He has no clue what self sacrifice even means unless he tells all of his advisors to fall on their sword for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Now that Trump is pushing for the economy to open by Easter, and if he gets away with that, it will be a disaster. We will end up with a second wave of infections and the hospitals will become even more overwhelmed than what they are now. From all indications the virus will not subside in the warm weather based on what we are seeing in the southern hemisphere. The U.S. will end of becoming isolated from the rest of the world as the disease runs rampant here as other countries ban all travel to the U.S. All the man wants to do is get reelected no matter the cost. He has no clue what self sacrifice even means unless he tells all of his advisors to fall on their sword for him.

The scenario you describe would certainly be a major disaster, especially after all the pain we've been through already.  My interpretation of what POTUS said is that they would begin by opening certain parts of the country - like Montana, west Texas, areas of the country where there are very few cases.  He did not say what the next step would be.  He said that he is listening to the experts and heeding their advice.  This sounds like a measured way to create more cases without overwhelming the medical system, building herd immunity one step at a time.

• Like 2

Nothing happens in Montana anyway. Texas would have cases out the ying yang if they opened for business. The few cases would only last so long as the virus would spread to those areas as dumb people that want to work that are sick would go there regardless of how they feel or the effect that would have on others. People in this country seemingly  for the most part are selfish a$$holes, hoarding and fighting over toilet paper, ignoring rules, gathering at beaches, etc., not caring about who it hurts or the welfare of others. That may be harsh but it sure does seem to be the way it is when you see people going into stores claiming they have the virus and coughing into people faces, making fun of the whole situation, and frankly just not caring.

My question is why does anyone need a pallet of toilet paper? 

My only hope is they rush a vaccine through the FDA sooner rather than later. The Europeans tend to get meds intruded and approved a lot faster than the U.S. does simply because there is so much stupid bureaucratic red tape to go through.

I did read that when the vaccine is done it will more than likely be a one time vaccination like chicken pox as there are few mutations so far. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the duplicate post, but put under Bits and Pieces too. 

Nashville Gets One Two Punch (First Tornadoes Now Coronavirus)  From the WSJ this week. I think it's open to all, but not sure as I have subscription. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nashville-gets-one-two-punch-first-tornadoes-now-coronavirus-11584961200?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=2

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The very attributes that make Nashville a dynamic town are the same ones that make it vulnerable to a pandemic.  The lack of leadership from Gov, and Mayor has not helped.   They should've shut everything down three weeks ago.   If you want to see an example of what an actual response looks like then take a look at the northern border:  Kentucky.  Granted, the bluegrass state may not have the urban areas we have but the Governor there also ordered a shutdown a week before our leaders began encouraging us to "do the right thing,"  and they sure weren't allowing thousands of people to gather in its downtown core for a hoedown!  As a result the rate of infection and spread is significantly lower there.

Lee and Cooper made huge mistakes in not acting sooner and decisively.  Unless something changes drastically  I don't think we'll be out of the Covid-19 mess till there is a vaccine.  It remains to be seen about the Nashville economy.

1 hour ago, nativenashville said:

covid_sobro_email.thumb.jpg.b539b0e0285dec1945e3ee3d386b74cc.jpg
The SoBro has a resident living in the building and they are hiding their identity. If this isn't a crime I don't know what is.

Not sure if this is intended as sarcasm or what....I know it’s a very good way to encourage folks to not tell a soul they have the virus.

10 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I think there is a medical privacy issue at work. I would think it legally unacceptable to reveal the identity of the person.

Correct, as they have no obligation to identify themselves under the law. They did the right thing by letting building residents know, but if it were me I sure as heck would not let anyone know because of acts of retribution from idiots in the building. There are always nut cases that will harass a person, bust their car windows out, etc. out of fear and  ignorance. Who knows, they may even have family they are trying to protect as well.

If anything, the residents in the building should be compassionate and offer to help in anyway they can instead of trying to lock an innocent person up. Smacks of a real witch hunt. Just burn them at the stake for having a disease they did not want. Sounds like the way people were treated at the very beginning of the AIDS epidemic.

• Like 2

I'm sure the rest of you are going to be all rosy as your buildings and families contract the virus.

They should be removing the resident from the building and putting them in a quarantine hospital.

Your rude comments towards me won't go unnoticed, and I wish you pleasant times as you receive similar letters from your building's landlords.

Ian Nott

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, nativenashville said:

I'm sure the rest of you are going to be all rosy as your buildings and families contract the virus.

They should be removing the resident from the building and putting them in a quarantine hospital.

Your rude comments towards me won't go unnoticed, and I wish you pleasant times as you receive similar letters from your building's landlords.

Ian Nott

There is a lot to unpack and correct here, so I'll just say this.  I understand we're all a little on edge and unsure how to face this situation appropriately, and I understand that if you have a family it raises the worry factor a hundred fold.  However, I'm not sure how it's going to solve anything to begin charging building superintendents/landlords with an as yet unnamed crime for simply electing not to make an already quarantined individual's private medical information public knowledge.  Unless you plan on finding this quarantined individual's name so you can break into their apartment and makeout with them, there really is no negative effect to you if they are quarantined inside their own apartment as opposed to a hospital.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, SoundScan said:

Please forward me all of your personal information and detailed medical, financial, and criminal records so I can make a uniformed, impulsive judgement on your danger to me and society at large. Be sure to include your complete travel and internet search history as well. 

pizza

Are urbanplanet folks geeks?

beer

skyscraper

Batman building

• Like 1
  • Haha 1