Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

1 minute ago, downtownresident said:

Not many conservatives would run on expanding public transit and affordable housing. He’s more conservative that traditionally progressive candidates, but not a traditional conservative. 

Even before the collapse, his transit expansion was going to be a joke in my opinion. Glorified extended bus routes and bike lanes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

The biggest issue with Cooper isn't whether he's a liberal or conservative (pretty sure all Nash mayors are liberal...with a few exceptions)...it's that he went and lied to the populace about not raising their property taxes (which should have been raised a long time ago) so he could get elected...and now he's having to come forth and ask for a big property tax hike when everyone is out of work and hurting because of this virus.  He's in a huge pickle.

Oh I'm with ya there, that's definitely a valid critique... not a promise he should have made by any means.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shanky said:

Cooper a liberal?  That's a head scratcher

Not a liberal but a "Yellow Dog" (aka Blue in other parts of the country), but as suggested above Nashville hasn't elected a Republican since Reconstruction.  No matter how you feel about either party, it's sad that Nashville is still a one party town.  It's one of the few remaining Southern cities in which a son of a staunch segregationist can get elected to mayor and Congress. 

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

32,000+ Nashville area residents file for unemployment (double from last week) according to the state Department of Labor and Workforce Development.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/04/02/more-than-32-000-area-residents-file-for.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

The economy has apparently skipped the recession phase and gone directly to depression.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, shanky said:

Cooper a liberal?  That's a head scratcher

True liberal like the rest of the Nashville mayors.  Can’t call a liberal a conservative just because you don’t like his politics.  As a conservative, there’s nothing about him that’s remotely “Republican.”  I realize that may hurt the feelings of all the liberal mob on here (this used to not be a politically motivated site like t is now)...but you can’t suddenly push your wayward child off on the opposition party.  The Cooper family is true blue...and you guys know it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, titanhog said:

True liberal like the rest of the Nashville mayors.  Can’t call a liberal a conservative just because you don’t like his politics.  As a conservative, there’s nothing about him that’s remotely “Republican.”  I realize that may hurt the feelings of all the liberal mob on here (this used to not be a politically motivated site like t is now)...but you can’t suddenly push your wayward child off on the opposition party.  The Cooper family is true blue...and you guys know it.

What happened to your aversion to political talk on here?   Lol

17 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

Democrat =/= liberal

Republican =/= conservative

This has been your PSA for the day.

Unless you are a "Blue Dog" Democrat, which means fiscally conservative, by socially progressive.  

But enough political gibberish.  There are problems at hand that require more than labeling and finger pointing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

What happened to your aversion to political talk on here?   Lol

I will always...always respond to people on here who take shots at conservatives.  Conservatives on this site are the minority.  I've been on here over 15 years and this site used to not talk politics...and definitely did not attempt to offend...but it has changed.  I've seen at least 2-3 conservatives run off this board in the past few years....and honestly, I refuse to not respond.  If that means the mods will eventually have to run me off as well...so be it.  I don't want to talk politics at all...but I also will not sit back and continually watch the anti-conservative barbs be thrown around as if liberals are the only ones on this site.  I love Nashville and I have respect for my liberal friends and their beliefs and wish them no harm at all.   I come from  a place of "live and let live."  But I will respond to the anti-conservative comments...especially if I feel they are unwarranted or one-sided.

39 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

Democrat =/= liberal

Republican =/= conservative

This has been your PSA for the day.

And Cooper is a Democrat =/= liberal.  That's YOUR PSA for the day.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

At this point I dont think it matters what political party anyone is from. They are all either making mistakes or looking brilliant.

As far as Cooper and Metro goes, no mayor can say he or she is with a political party, but I do think it is obvious. As fas as who is in office right now it does not matter if they are conservative or liberal, taxes are going up and expect that on the federal level as well. Every State and local government not to mention the federal government will be looking at mulitple ways to increase revenue and cut expenses after this is all said and done.

We have to  pay for the 3 stimulus packages that total over 6 trillion dollars and there will be no more tax cuts. I expect the pain will come later. The mre money the government prints the greater risk of inflation and that may be on the way.

The political landscape will be turned upside down after this as a lot of folks will be upset with their governors for doing to little or doing too much and the same will be for some cities. 

Guys you are pretty much arguing over pointless issues right now about who is a conservative or a liberal. I think most of us are smart enough to figure it out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

I will always...always respond to people on here who take shots at conservatives.  Conservatives on this site are the minority.  I've been on here over 15 years and this site used to not talk politics...and definitely did not attempt to offend...but it has changed.  I've seen at least 2-3 conservatives run off this board in the past few years....and honestly, I refuse to not respond.  If that means the mods will eventually have to run me off as well...so be it.  I don't want to talk politics at all...but I also will not sit back and continually watch the anti-conservative barbs be thrown around as if liberals are the only ones on this site.  I love Nashville and I have respect for my liberal friends and their beliefs and wish them no harm at all.   I come from  a place of "live and let live."  But I will respond to the anti-conservative comments...especially if I feel they are unwarranted or one-sided.

You have posters and cheap low end food that only children eat that continuously do it with winks from the moderator.

Shameful.

Edited by JoeyX
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, JoeyX said:

You have posters and cheap low end food that only children eat that continuously do it with winks from the moderator.

Shameful.

Ironically if you wrote something about a pathetic beige city eastward you would have better results for the moderator taking action as opposed to obvious attacks on Nashville citizens and posters who are conservative.

Edited by JoeyX
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Hey look, I think you're great, and I encourage you to speak your mind.  I have no problem with you or anyone else just because their political beliefs might not line up perfectly with mine.  I know the mods disagree and I totally understand why they do and respect that, but personally, I think we all should be able to speak freely on this site so long as we remain on topic and generally civil and refrain from hate speech and personal attacks, so I don't know who these liberals are that are supposedly trying to run conservatives off on this site, but I'm not one of them.  Hell, I didn't even disagree with your overarching point in the post I quoted.  All I'm saying is that it sounds to me like you're saying that YOU should be able to speak your mind,  and I agree that you should.  But at the same time I'm asking myself why, then, you so reliably show up on the scene anytime I or someone else says something political you might not agree with to make a scene and shut the conversation down like you did earlier in this thread?  If you simply had a counter-point then that'd be great... I love a friendly exchange of ideas... but you usually seem to just be trying to shut things down, and I usually comply out of respect to you... but if you're just going to talk politics anyway, then why do you have a problem when someone else does it?

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

I am often critical of economic policies of administrations and Congress, but I have a u/g major in Econ and a good portion of my MBA focused on Econometrics in the field of Finance (maybe I know too much about that for my own good :tw_smirk:). Additionally, my first year at b-school a fourth semester in l-school was in Health Administration with a full class in Epidemiology. Yet, I've got to say I can't criticize much with what the governors and the president are doing right now. There's just no precedent. 

Edited by MLBrumby

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Stay at home order issued for the State  of TN. About two weeks too late IMO.

I think the same could be said of Georgia, Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina.  There is no precedent for this is very true but the sooner harsh measures are taken to slow the spread the better!