Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

Brentwood-based Tractor Supply adding 5,000 jobs, in its "most ambitious hiring drive ever."

The company, which caters to the farming and agriculture industries, has nearly 1,900 stores and eight distribution centers, spread across 49 states, employing 33,0000 people. Tractor Supply employs 1,200 people at its Brentwood headquarters.

- Tractor Supply is extending its previously announced “$2 per hour appreciation bonus” to all frontline hourly team members from April 25 to May 9.

- The company announced 100% coverage of COVID-19 medical treatment under the company’s medical plan.

- Tractor Supply is waiving cost-sharing for telehealth visits for any reason under the company’s medical plan, which will help team members limit potential exposure in doctor’s offices and give relief to medical facilities.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/04/06/tractor-supply-adding-5-000-jobs-in-most-ambitious.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My credibility is the fact that 10's of millions are losing their jobs. And entire generations are being robbed of their future. 10's of millions of small businesses decimated and bankrupted.

Yet you poke fun at my ability to have "rational thought"

However you support and back the total destruction. Applaud it really. Disgusting.

You can use vague attacks against me, but it won't change the reality that is now all around us. Loss for so, so many.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Tennessee announces 21 new deaths due to Coronavirus today, a 48% rise from where it was two days ago. By far the single biggest jump for the state, with the total now being 65.

Significant drop down to only 169 new cases and there's not a reporting backlog, that's very good. Any death is sad, but 65 deaths across the state and only 6 in Davidson is relatively very minimal. 

Edited by DDIG
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, nativenashville said:

My credibility is the fact that 10's of millions are losing their jobs. And entire generations are being robbed of their future. 10's of millions of small businesses decimated and bankrupted.

Yet you poke fun at my ability to have "rational thought"

However you support and back the total destruction. Applaud it really. Disgusting.

You can use vague attacks against me, but it won't change the reality that is now all around us. Loss for so, so many.

So, you're worried about people losing job and not their lives? The reason for the lock-down is to mitigate the crisis now, spare lives, and control the overflow of sick patients on our the healthcare system so that it won't shutdown. I will take the short time pain (loss of economy) for the long term gain (healthy labor force, and healthcare system that works) any day.  What's your solution to the crisis? People going to back to work and getting sick?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AF-Nash said:

So, you're worried about people losing job and not their lives? The reason for the lock-down is to mitigate the crisis now, spare lives, and control the overflow of sick patients on our the healthcare system so that it won't shutdown. I will take the short time pain (loss of economy) for the long term gain (healthy labor force, and healthcare system that works) any day.  What's your solution to the crisis? People going to back to work and getting sick?

Point proven, you are not reachable. Sorry for your mental fog.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, nativenashville said:

My credibility is the fact that 10's of millions are losing their jobs. And entire generations are being robbed of their future. 10's of millions of small businesses decimated and bankrupted.[/quote]

I'm assuming this was a response to me?  I'll just go with it.  So, ya know what actually robs people of their futures?  Death.  The loss of a job is very unfortunate.  Obviously nobody is rooting for that to happen.  I'll probably lose my own job to this before it's all over truth be told.  But it isn't the end of the world.   Call me crazy, but I'd take having to find a new job over dying from Covid-19 induced Pneumonia anyday.  Here's the bottom line though.  There is absolutely a debate to be had about where to draw the line on the social-distancing measures, and how best to balance the economic losses with the gains in staying on top of the virus, and I'm happy to have that conversation with you if you want to relax a little bit.  But you leading off by going on some unhinged rant about how everyone who doesn't agree with you is "disgusting" and is going to "burn for their sins" is kind of a non-starter as far as conversations are concerned.

Yet you poke fun at my ability to have 

"rational thought"

You brought up the rational thought bit bud, so don't blame me.  You accused people of being irrational for trusting the word of infectious disease experts on the topic of infectious disease.  You don't remember that from like, two hours ago?  

You're not making any sense again.  Who is applauding anything about this virus?   Show me a quote.  

If by  "vague attacks" you're referring to me simply using your own words to highlight your hypocrisy, then yes, I will continue to 'vaguely attack' you.  Hypocrisy such as the fact that you're accusing me of attacking you when you told people here that they would "burn for their sins" if they didn't agree with your ramblings.  Classy!  Nothing vague about that attack, is there!?  

2 hours ago, nativenashville said:

Point proven, you are not reachable. Sorry for your mental fog.

@AF-Nash asked you a question, and you dodged it.  Who's the unreachable one again?  I'll repeat it, because I, too, am curious of your answer.

"What's your solution to the crisis? People going to back to work and getting sick?"

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Models are only as good as the data that feeds them. I'm pretty sure that the biggest thing that changed about this model was the stay at home order. I don't know what sorts of algorithms they use for this, but I think they put a pretty heavy weight on that, regardless of whether people were doing it voluntarily or not. 

I don't think we should be relying on models to predict exactly what will happen (this situation seems a bit too fluid for that -- too many variables) -- but as more clean data comes through, it may help us see whether things are starting to peak and subside, so we can measure our response for returning to more normal activities.

Unfortunately, our actions seem to have about a 5-10 day lag between implementation and measurable result. Same with the models. It's not helpful looking at them in real time, but rather as they evolve.

They were counting stay at home measures last week before the 600% drop in dire projections in Tennessee. That did't change it, just the fact that they were way off did.

I agree with models only being as good as the data, and that's largely why coronavirus models will continue to be just guesswork because we really don't have any clue at all how many people actually have it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

It could be very, very bad for a long, long time. In theory, it could destroy this very country and cripple us. It could be the case that 10s of millions never recover. 

It could be that after the delay that demand allows 10s of millions to come back to work (perhaps for some in a different industry or capacity) without a severe disruption.

It will likely be somewhere in the vast middle where some will come through relatively unscathed (or even ahead) and some will lose everything, but a lot of us will have to adapt as we ride out the storm.

It's likely that this event will accelerate some already present trends that will force some people in the workforce to switch places. It's not going to be an easy or neat transition for everyone. 

But no one really knows how long this will last or how many will be affected. 

I understand that you have a really strong opinion on the matter. The thing that concerns me is that you seem to be equating those that disagree with your...quite strong stance to be sinners or to be rooting for suffering and destruction. That's the primary reason most people are dismissing your views.

I also don't understand that this event is somehow disproportionately affecting younger generations (you've brought this up multiple times). How? It's throwing everyone's schedule off. 

Why do you insist that people here are "applauding" the destruction? I don't think anything could be farther from the truth. You seem to be attempting to create an "us vs. them" narrative that really doesn't fit reality.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but I think you need to take a few days off. Your thinking is toxic. No one knows what is going to happen. Don't assume the worst of people.

Btw, I'm not an old guy. I'm 34.

6a00d8341c4eab53ef0240a4d14d1c200d-800wi.png.19d7e5ae3fa47c5292488998f066049d.pngIt means

"I also don't understand that this event is somehow disproportionately affecting younger generations (you've brought this up multiple times). How? It's throwing everyone's schedule off. "

Back in your day, you got a job in manufacturing, etc. Rather generations of older voters both Democrats and Republicans have voted for policies that have totally destroyed the future for younger generations to EVER aspire to live the types of lifestyles they did.

All kids have left today are crap, terrible service jobs and gig jobs. No pensions, no contracts. Just 1099's ready to be cut at any moments notice.

You are so far gone from reality, you should study the US economic transformations, and the policies that enabled today's situation for 100's of millions of young Americans who were robbed of a good life.

Edited by nativenashville

1 minute ago, nativenashville said:

Whatever mod is watching should probably just ban me, since none of you can see the light anyway.

I'll stop providing HQ images of all the downtown projects. Because who cares. You people turned our once thriving city into a crack-head zombie ghost town.

Seriously, what is wrong? You don't deserve to be banned by any means, but you do need to step back and reassess your attitude towards what is happening right now, and perhaps consider talking to someone.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nativenashville said:

"I also don't understand that this event is somehow disproportionately affecting younger generations (you've brought this up multiple times). How? It's throwing everyone's schedule off. "

Back in your day, you got a job in manufacturing, etc. Rather generations of older voters both Democrats and Republicans have voted for policies that have totally destroyed the future for younger generations to EVER aspire to live the types of lifestyles they did.

You just replied to a 34 year old. Back in his day, he was still a Millennial who was faced with the same problems you go on to describe.

Also, hyperbole gets you nowhere when debating. There's not hundreds of millions of young Americans, we  make up about 45% of the overall 320ish million total population. If you're going to suggest one of the best data gatherers on the site do research, you should do the same and be accurate in your own argument.

Sincerely, another Millennial.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dmillsphoto said:

You just replied to a 34 year old. Back in his day, he was still a Millennial who was faced with the same problems you go on to describe.

Also, hyperbole gets you nowhere when debating. There's not hundreds of millions of young Americans, we  make up about 45% of the overall 320ish million total population. If you're going to suggest one of the best data gatherers on the site do research, you should do the same and be accurate in your own argument.

Glad you accept your fate. I'm less inclined to do so laying down. 

1 minute ago, nativenashville said:

"Seriously, what is wrong?"

See above posts about the forced economic destruction of billions of people's lives. And the total rejection I have gotten from this community in questioning the legitimacy of these actions.

You shouldn't confuse disagreement with your conclusions as a rejection of you or your premises. I think we all agree that the economic impact of this is going to be horrendous, no one on this forum has said otherwise. But most of society has come to the conclusion that it is an unfortunate collateral, and that we must prioritize the health of the population at this time. By my reading of the posts, you've been very accusative in response to people, by and large (with exception, of course), being polite.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nativenashville said:

Whatever mod is reading this please delete my account, and my entire post history including all construction photos. Thanks you for your assistance. I wish you all the best.

Vibes, dude.  Go for a walk and listen to your fav band.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

Vibes, dude.  Go for a walk and listen to your fav band.

Yeah, walk around my neighborhood downtown on broadway with only crackhead zombies walking around. Been doing that for 2 weeks straight and TRUST ME IT AIN'T HELPING.

Hell, walking around Percy Warner with my dog over and over and over has not helped an once.

Please ban this account and all of it's postings. Thanks.

Someone point me to a mod who can perform my request of full account and post deletion. Thanks.

Edited by nativenashville
  • Haha 1