Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

6 hours ago, rolly said:

But 'protesting' will have zero affect on the corona-rate.  Such logics! 

https://www.tennessean.com/restricted/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tennessean.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2F2020%2F07%2F03%2Fprotests-arent-causing-nashvilles-covid-19-spike-bar-crowds%2F5368203002%2F

"Officals: Bars, not protests causing COVID-19 Spike"

Edited by Nashvillain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tokiorose said:

I was at the protests and I think I saw maybe 5 people the whole time who didn't have a mask on. Also I think protesting for something that is important is different than partying.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I went to one of the protests as well and observed the same thing. However with that many people so close to each other in this heat, a cloth mask is arguably not sufficient enough to protect each other from the virus. I’m sorry but I don’t approve of either activity at this point in time. 

28 minutes ago, subkyle said:

I went to one of the protests as well and observed the same thing. However with that many people so close to each other in this heat, a cloth mask is arguably not sufficient enough to protect each other from the virus. I’m sorry but I don’t approve of either activity at this point in time. 

Agree, however if both parties are wearing a mask the transmission rate is substantially reduced. That has been proven, not only here but other countries. The cold hard truth is they should have told the citizens of this country mask do help from the first and not mixed messages. I saw this commented on as soon as they said we didnt have to wear mask and many said it was a mistake as they will come back and say the opposite and low and behold they did.

As for me I just protest in my own way:ph34r:....alone, and I go to my own private bar and mix my own drinks......:alc:

• Like 3

I completely agree Smeags. It’s frustrating how much information was out there saying that masks didn’t really make a difference. Like everyone else I just want this pandemic to be over, and business to get back to normal. 

FYI I have a pug named Smeagol. Thought you might appreciate 

F5F8B06F-1D68-4C1C-95C6-1984581C8E9E.jpeg

Edited by subkyle
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, subkyle said:

I completely agree Smeags. It’s frustrating how much information was out there saying that masks didn’t really make a difference. Like everyone else I just want this pandemic to be over, and business to get back to normal. 

FYI I have a pug named Smeagol. Thought you might appreciate

Dead damn ringer for Ron!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Serious question... if masks work and having thousands of people shoulder-to-shoulder in a protest is "fine" (as long as they are wearing masks), why not move to phase 4 with the understanding that everyone has to wear a mask?  Why jump back to phase 2 AND require masks?

I think a lot of frustration is "ok, people can gather in any quantity they want as long as they're wearing a mask except for businesses, churches, etc.   You all have to be at 50%".   That's what I don't understand.  I believe masks work.  So, everyone wear them and move to a phase where people can gather.  Whether its in a protest or on a lake.

Or how about an outdoor concert at Ascend with tickets sold to allow for six feet of spacing? I'd pay a premium to enjoy that. The protesters have zero social distancing, so this should be acceptable. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

What does that have anything to do with anything I just said?  And btw, College Grove is in Williamson County.  Read up, masks are required starting tomorrow.

So your opinion only applies to Williamson?  All's good then, brother.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

I told y'all we reopened too early. Now we need to go back to Ph1 until this crap is under control.

Protests: outdoors + lots of masks = few infections.

Bars: indoors + no masks = many infections.

Agree!

The bars, indoor dining, indoor concerts, and gyms seem to be the big issue.  Younger people in general just are not getting it. You have to take a mask off to eat, drink and be merry.  I think retail can go ahead and open if everyone wears mask and does their part.

The irresponsible crowd need to be ticketed and fined. Its against my right BS is what it is ... BS. You have to wear a seat belt in your car,  and if you dont you get a ticket, you cant drink and drive , if you do you go to jail. Why is that you may ask yourself... It is a matter of PUBLIC SAFETY. Guess what, so is wearing a mask. Get over it and start wearing a mask and if you dont then open the COVID prisons and get thrown in jail until you learn your lesson after they fine you.

It is a fact that public safety trumps personal rights and freedoms. You are not allowed to talk on a hand held device as well, so as soon as the local authorities make it a law you got to do it.

Sumner County just now mandated mask as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DDIG said:

Actually Gyms are not an issue. They weren't even listed on the Mayor's six areas of spread. Unlike bars, gyms provide a productive and important mental and physical health outlet that in turn supports your immune system. This is even more important as people work from home and don't even realize how sedentary they've become. Also, unlike a bar which promotes congregation, people at gyms seek to stay away from one another, and while people don't usually shy away from going a bar feeling under the weather, most people don't go work out while sick.

Most your ire is probably focused at images of people out on Broadway, the most of which aren't locals. 

I wouldn't say gyms aren't an issue. While I have gone since they've reopnened and I go at a time where it's really only me a 2 or 3 others, I can definitely see where they would be a place to spread. The harder you work, the harder you breathe, and the further the virus travels. Not to mention you're more likely to breath it in. I've been to the gym where it's packed as well. Some people just have no personal space issues. Now I'm not saying gyms can't be done more safely than bars. I mean, has anyone been to a bar where the customer wipes down their seat and table before and after use? Also, the more you drink, the less likely you are to be cognizant of proper distancing and hygiene.  I very much agree with you on fitness being a big benefit to helping people should they get COVID however. The stronger your heart and lungs are, the better prepared your body will be, and it absolutely helps your immune system.  Great point about people feeling sick also. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, satalac said:

I wouldn't say gyms aren't an issue. While I have gone since they've reopnened and I go at a time where it's really only me a 2 or 3 others, I can definitely see where they would be a place to spread. The harder you work, the harder you breathe, and the further the virus travels. Not to mention you're more likely to breath it in. I've been to the gym where it's packed as well. Some people just have no personal space issues. Now I'm not saying gyms can't be done more safely than bars. I mean, has anyone been to a bar where the customer wipes down their seat and table before and after use? Also, the more you drink, the less likely you are to be cognizant of proper distancing and hygiene.  I very much agree with you on fitness being a big benefit to helping people should they get COVID however. The stronger your heart and lungs are, the better prepared your body will be, and it absolutely helps your immune system.  Great point about people feeling sick also. 

Since WillCo went on the required mask, my gym is asking that everyone wears a mask at all times *except* for when they are working out.  So, walk in with a mask... back and forth from the locker room with a mask... take mask off when working out... put it back on when you're done.  They're doing their best to stay open.  Everyone I have seen has been very good about wiping equipment and machines down.  But hey, if one puts their fingers in their mouth after handling a barbell, maybe they deserve whatever happens next.  COVID may be the least of their worries.  

• Like 1

The zipcode breakdown fascinates me.

https://tennesseelookout.com/2020/07/07/covid-19-is-spreading-across-nashville-heres-a-zip-code-breakdown/

The heat map is now coding all of downtown red, although actual downtown zipcode only has 16 cases. The downtown "hotspot" is 37203 which has 333 cases, that includes the Gulch and Edgehill.

But still compare that to SE / Antioch area which has more than 4,400 cases its a far cry from that type of hotspot for now.

Edited by DDIG

3 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Since WillCo went on the required mask, my gym is asking that everyone wears a mask at all times *except* for when they are working out.  So, walk in with a mask... back and forth from the locker room with a mask... take mask off when working out... put it back on when you're done.  They're doing their best to stay open.  Everyone I have seen has been very good about wiping equipment and machines down.  But hey, if one puts their fingers in their mouth after handling a barbell, maybe they deserve whatever happens next.  COVID may be the least of their worries.  

At that point, I'd think that they'd just say leave the mask on since you'll be closer to people and breathing harder while you're working out. Plus, the mask's restriction is a great way to build lung capacity! :tw_lol:

1 minute ago, satalac said:

At that point, I'd think that they'd just say leave the mask on since you'll be closer to people and breathing harder while you're working out. Plus, the mask's restriction is a great way to build lung capacity! :tw_lol:

Like you, I go when the crowds are low so I can avoid the people as much as possible.  I wipe everything down and do the best I can.  I want the gyms to stay open because I need to get rid of these COVID love handles.  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DDIG said:

The zipcode breakdown fascinates me.

https://tennesseelookout.com/2020/07/07/covid-19-is-spreading-across-nashville-heres-a-zip-code-breakdown/

The heat map is now coding all of downtown red, although actual downtown zipcode only has 16 cases. The downtown "hotspot" is 37203 which has 333 cases, that includes the Gulch and Edgehill.

But still compare that to SE / Antioch area which has more than 4,400 cases its a far cry from that type of hotspot for now.

What's weird is that the SE/Antioch area has been a hotspot for months now.  I remember seeing it as a hotspot in April in the Tennesseean.