Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

23 minutes ago, titanhog said:

What's weird is that the SE/Antioch area has been a hotspot for months now.  I remember seeing it as a hotspot in April in the Tennesseean.

It's not surprising to me whatsoever.  Lots of essential workers reside in that area, sometimes even together in the same apartment.  Construction workers, healthcare, restaurants / kitchen staff, service, etc. 

• Like 4

An associate from my office stayed at Illume last week. He said all those hot tub, redneck riviera, party & bachelorette buses and golf carts are kept next door. Said they run in and out of there way into the early hours of the morning. He did not see any pedal taverns. I think they're on Demonbreun near Rhythm. 

The Tennessee Department of Health has reported a total of 55,986 cases of COVID-19 across the state, up 2,472 cases since Tuesday from 29,739 test results — the largest number of cases and tests reported in a single day since the start of the pandemic.

The number of active cases in Tennessee has risen 88 percent in the past two weeks. On Wednesday, the state reported an all-time high of 22,565 residents currently infected with the virus.

More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/health-care/article/21139579/covid19-update-2472-new-cases

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

On 7/8/2020 at 12:23 AM, donNdonelson2 said:

Rebar at the Dam is open still and the parking lot is packed nightly. I’m not quite sure how they are getting away with remaining open. 

It probably has not been reported to Metro health. Here is your chance to make a difference. SHUT THEM DOWN! SHUT THEM DOWN!

15 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

It probably has not been reported to Metro health. Here is your chance to make a difference. SHUT THEM DOWN! SHUT THEM DOWN!

Apparently they were reported by someone and they are shuttered now. According to neighborhood chat, there was a hefty fine involved. Maybe having karaoke on Tuesday night wasn’t a good idea, considering how some of those singers like to live stream their “talents” on Facebook.

• Like 1

Bad news on the COVID front. News is starting to come out about a number of people getting COVID for the second time months apart from the first infection meaning that immunity is only temporary.

This also means herd immunity is going to be impossible and a vaccine will more than likely have to be given on a yearly or twice yearly basis. It will probably mean that after a vaccine is found and you do not get the vaccine, you will not be able to go to work, school, and may have to show a vaccine card when going to public events. Just me thinking outside the box, but that is what I see coming. The non vaccine people will have a tough go of it when they want to do anything anywhere. The fact is the longer they hold out the better chance the virus has a chance of eliminating that group. Survival of the smartest. Freedom of Choice, Yes, but survival of the dumbest, No.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Bad news on the COVID front. News is starting to come out about a number of people getting COVID for the second time months apart from the first infection meaning that immunity is only temporary.

This also means herd immunity is going to be impossible and a vaccine will more than likely have to be given on a yearly or twice yearly basis. It will probably mean that after a vaccine is found and you do not get the vaccine, you will not be able to go to work, school, and may have to show a vaccine card when going to public events. Just me thinking outside the box, but that is what I see coming. The non vaccine people will have a tough go of it when they want to do anything anywhere. The fact is the longer they hold out the better chance the virus has a chance of eliminating that group. Survival of the smartest. Freedom of Choice, Yes, but survival of the dumbest, No.

You predicted pretty spot on in January before it made it to the news in the western hemisphere, but would like to see a peer-reviewed journal of the immunity being so short-lived. I read of one in Sweden where the antibodies weren't prevalent but T-cell memory to combat the virus was present, so in essence -- it could combat the virus much easier.

20 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I don't mind getting the vaccine.  I am just nervous about being one of the first ones since these are being rushed through.  Unless, of course, some kind of mutation happens that guarantees me some kind of super-hero powers.  

• Like 1

I am a little concerned about the first ones myself. They need to be tested on seniors, children, folks with compromised immune systems,  etc.

They are rushing this one through testing mainly on healthy adults with no medical issues.

I am also concerned about the overall effectiveness of the first vaccines as well. Will they be 90%, 50% effective ? Also if the anti-bodies being temporary then how often will a person have to get a booster shot.

The key thing is if there is a 100% vaccination rate world wide, then the virus can be knocked out, but with the majority of new viruses popping up in China it may be short lived. That country is going to have to do some major work to clean up the mess they started. I also heard last week there was an outbreak of the bubonic plague there as well.

43 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I am a little concerned about the first ones myself. They need to be tested on seniors, children, folks with compromised immune systems,  etc.

They are rushing this one through testing mainly on healthy adults with no medical issues.

I am also concerned about the overall effectiveness of the first vaccines as well. Will they be 90%, 50% effective ? Also if the anti-bodies being temporary then how often will a person have to get a booster shot.

The key thing is if there is a 100% vaccination rate world wide, then the virus can be knocked out, but with the majority of new viruses popping up in China it may be short lived. That country is going to have to do some major work to clean up the mess they started. I also heard last week there was an outbreak of the bubonic plague there as well.

From what I've read, China will be distributing vaccines out in the next few months.  So, assuming we have transparency from them (we won't) it will be interesting to see how that plays out.  As much as this kills me to say out loud, I just don't see how there will be ANYTHING happening until Jan/Feb when vaccinations are readily available in the US.  On-site school, ANY sports, large events (concerts, conventions), workers returning to offices, life without masks...  let's just rip off the band-aid and accept more of "today" for the next 5 months.  Write off 2020 now.  :(

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not to mention there is a new outbreak in Kazakhstan of some mystery pneumonia with a high death rate.  And there is currently a new swine flu H1N1 in china that is causing problems.  On this same subject, I was amazed to learn how many (almost all?) viruses that have caused major plagues throughout human history start in other animals and then jump to humans.  This seems to be a recurring theme throughout human history.  So we may feel special now, but across then entire time-span of humanity, one could argue we are actually living in normal times where the species is continually beset by some new illness and the population is negatively impacted.

I wonder if this may be a blessing in disguise, though.  Even before coronavirus, scientists were sounding alarm bells about the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria and fungal infections.  Maybe this whole ordeal will usher in a new era of public health awareness and more funding will be dedicated to detecting, monitoring, and countering novel pathogens around the world - - ultimately to the benefit of the global population for centuries to come.  As an optimist, I tend to believe that every time humans run into a natural barrier to their inexorable expansion they will use technology to overcome that obstacle.   Do we stand on the threshold of another major leap forward in human technology and population expansion?  I sure hope so.

Edited by Armacing
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Do you have a source? That's a pretty bold claim. The sources I've read have said that reinfection is fairly unlikely. But since the virus hasn't even been in existence for an entire year, no one can really say for certain.

Edited by VSRJ

I travel for a living, and have been to 55 countries.  Currently,  my U.S. Passport is fairly useless.  There's no doubt we are viewed as the epicenter of this pandemic. Here's a map and listing of places I can travel to internationally right now (and it's getting smaller by the day) due to Americans being banned from entry around the world.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 4.21.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 4.21.35 AM.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Do you have a source? That's a pretty bold claim. The sources I've read have said that reinfection is fairly unlikely. But since the virus hasn't even been in existence for an entire year, no one can really say for certain.

I have been watching this source since day one and they have been spot on every time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I have been watching this source since day one and they have been spot on every time.

Okay, but he's not a legitimate source: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/02/coronavirus-youtube-creators/

Reinfection could be possible, but I'm going to wait until there's a more universal consensus from the medical community rather than an armchair epidemiologist on YouTube.

• Sad 1

I never put faith in anything YouTube says or does any longer. They continue to make bad calls all the time and censor people off of their platform and demonetized them in favor of anyone making a claim against a site.  If it were really up to me, I would actually love to see YOUTUBE put out of business for the real sham company that they are. I also have reservations about mother jones as well. It is always a matter of opinion. These are MDs. I will say they called it before anyone else so I trust them a lot more than I do other sources. They called out the WHO and the CDC in the early days for major fumbles that did not make the news for months.

Again, their reporting has been fact based and backed up with mostly peer review studies from which they recieved a lot of their information such as JAMA, and AMA.

I have had other issues with mother jones that make me think they are not all they are cracked up to be what they think they are. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Okay, but he's not a legitimate source: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/02/coronavirus-youtube-creators/

Reinfection could be possible, but I'm going to wait until there's a more universal consensus from the medical community rather than an armchair epidemiologist on YouTube.

There’s more data that you get immunity than the alternative but nothing is settled: 

https://medium.com/@vernunftundrichtigkeit/coronavirus-why-everyone-was-wrong-fce6db5ba809

you also must address that there are multiple large scale studies that people have T cell defenses likely from exposure to other colds (coronaviruses). That could explain how for some people you either go asymptomatic or it’s a mild flu at worse and others it can be very bad.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 3