Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

New daily record for new cases in TN today at 3,314. The number of active cases in Tennessee has risen 80 percent in the past two weeks. On Monday, the state reported an all-time high of 27,529 residents currently infected with the virus.       

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/health-care/article/21139942/covid19-update-3314-new-cases

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, markhollin said:

New daily record for new cases in TN today at 3,314. The number of active cases in Tennessee has risen 80 percent in the past two weeks. On Monday, the state reported an all-time high of 27,529 residents currently infected with the virus.       

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/health-care/article/21139942/covid19-update-3314-new-cases

Huh... so it turns out, a virus spreads more rapidly when you provide it with more hosts to spread to!  Who could have predicted that!?  :tw_expressionless:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Honky-tonk bar owners will not be granted a temporary restraining order against Nashville officials over the city's coronavirus restrictions. 

Federal Judge Eli Richardson has denied their request, the mayor's office and the plaintiffs' attorney confirmed Sunday. 

"Judge Richardson's ruling affirms Metro's approach in fighting the coronavirus and keeping Nashvillians safe," Nashville Mayor John Cooper said in a statement. "Don't share your air, Nashville. The more often we wear masks in public places, the more quickly we can reopen all our businesses without interruption."

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2020/07/12/nashville-honky-tonk-restraining-order-against-mayor-city-officials-denied/5423920002/

• Like 1

^^The only good thing that may come from the pandemic is that we are actually getting much closer now to possibly finding a way to eradicate many viruses through the increased awareness and funding worldwide of intense research.  I've been on a site the last few months that share a lot of info on some promising revelations in that field...and I'm not sure we would be as close to finding a "cure" for many viruses as we are right now without some of the discoveries we've found in the short few months of this pandemic.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^The only good thing that may come from the pandemic is that we are actually getting much closer now to possibly finding a way to eradicate many viruses through the increased awareness and funding worldwide of intense research.  I've been on a site the last few months that share a lot of info on some promising revelations in that field...and I'm not sure we would be as close to finding a "cure" for many viruses as we are right now without some of the discoveries we've found in the short few months of this pandemic.  Fingers crossed.

When humans find a common enemy/threat, and the world's greatest minds, money from the most powerful governments and organizations/individuals come together -- humans seem to achieve progress and innovation at a pace that seems almost fictitious or magical. 

• Like 1

Bars will continue to be closed until the end of the month in Nashville after Tennessee’s capital city experienced its highest single-day increases in COVID-19 cases, Mayor John Cooper announced Tuesday.

“The numbers we’re seeing make it clear that we will not be able to leave our modified phase two,” Cooper said during the city’s public health briefing.

Cooper rolled back Nashville’s reopening nearly two weeks ago in response to the sharp increase in COVID-19 cases. Since then, numbers have continued to climb.

The city reported more than 770 new coronavirus cases Tuesday, a one-day record, according to public health officials. The day before, Tennessee’d Department of Health reported a record number of new virus cases statewide with 3,314.

While bars will be closed until July 31, event and entertainment venues also will be temporarily closed, and restaurants will revert from a 75% capacity limit to 50% capacity.

“We will be staying in this phase for the foreseeable future,” said Metro Coronavirus Task Force Chair Dr. Alex Jahangir.

Nashville has recently hired 20 more contact tracers, bringing the region’s total to 150 — though Jahangir acknowledged that case volumes has made their work challenging to keep up.

More at AP here:

https://apnews.com/6322edf4c18aa6b8958a626e57f35329

So...what's the deal with most of what I would consider "bars" on Lower Broadway being opened and the crowds look very large, almost like normal...but then some bars can not open?  I know it has something to do with how much money each "bar" makes off of selling food...which makes them a "restaurant"...right?

It just seems odd that some bars are open because they serve a lot of food...but others have to shutter.

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

So...what's the deal with most of what I would consider "bars" on Lower Broadway being opened and the crowds look very large, almost like normal...but then some bars can not open?  I know it has something to do with how much money each "bar" makes off of selling food...which makes them a "restaurant"...right?

It just seems odd that some bars are open because they serve a lot of food...but others have to shutter.

I think it is >50% food sales to be deemed a restaurant. And it has unintended consequences. People are still coming here, so when they come here and there are only a handful of places open, you get mass crowding on the sidewalks. There were some bad violations, but my understanding is most bars were doing everything they were asked to do.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DDIG said:

I think it is >50% food sales to be deemed a restaurant. And it has unintended consequences. People are still coming here, so when they come here and there are only a handful of places open, you get mass crowding on the sidewalks. There were some bad violations, but my understanding is most bars were doing everything they were asked to do.

Yeah...when I was looking at the live cams on Lower Broad, I was shocked at how crowded everything was.  My first thought was that the "no bars" deal hasn't slowed down the craziness.

I felt the same way when they closed the state parks. The same number of people went out to the few places still open, making them super packed

But in the defense of the downtown bars, it's politics as usual. The government tries to do a good thing; but just make matters worse. People are sneaky in finding ways and laws/mandates/etc

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, shanky said:

Take a page from NYC and require 14 days quarantine for everyone coming to Nashville.  That make some heads explode among the lower broad business owners!

Irony in NY's measure is that they pretty much seeded all of the outbreaks we are seeing now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/us/new-york-city-coronavirus-outbreak.html

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DDIG said:

Irony in NY's measure is that they pretty much seeded all of the outbreaks we are seeing now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/us/new-york-city-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Yeah...we already know a ton of New Yorkers regularly travel I-95 down to Florida every summer.  Not saying it's with 100% proof that they accidentally seeded Florida's outbreak...but it would make sense.

• Like 2

Nashville’s bars are set to be closed through at least the end of the month.

Mayor John Cooper announced Friday revisions to a previous public health order, calling for the closure of pedicabs, pedal carriages and limousines and extending the closure of all bars and limited service restaurants through the end of July.

Other “transpotainment” vehicles, including those over 10,000 pounds, are not subject to the limitation, as they are regulated by the state. Such vehicles include party tractors and the city's infamous pedal taverns.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/07/17/metro-extends-bar-closures-transpotainment-vehicle.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Additionally, here is an interesting time-lapse map showing the Covid-19 cases trends across the U.S. since late February:

https://www.corona-per-capita.com/vid?fbclid=IwAR0DfPqD7uw8rEAunEHfYchXT47yL-TKpLFXR881UXzar2XTYhJ0xJtZtC8

On 7/16/2020 at 9:11 AM, bigeasy said:

Also, I don't understand the appeal of Broadway even pre/post pandemic. Glad we have it since it is great for the city, but no part of me wants to be around that. 

I know.  Just looking at that video, my first reaction is "This is the great tourist draw of Nashville?"  But I guess it's just our version of Bourbon Street in New Orleans or Ocean Drive in Miami.  In the same way that the Wal-Mart parking lot is "the place to be" in a lot of small towns, Lower Broadway is the entire mid-south's Wal-Mart parking lot.

• Haha 2