Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

3 hours ago, JoeyX said:

I don't know why anyone would complain about having under normal circumstances (non pandemic) a tourist magnet like Broadway. New York, New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, all have their entertainment districts that flourish under normal circumstances. Would you prefer Nashville to have a ghost town attraction like the Epicenter in Charlotte?

Haha I swear I mentally finished that last sentence with Epicenter in mind. It's so sad.

I'm also in the boat of not understanding the Broadway hate. Is it incredibly cringeworthy at times? Yes, often. Do I go? Rarely. Unless you're living or working within close proximity to it, it really isn't bothering you.

I think this is the case for any touristy district in a city like the ones you mentioned. Most locals will steer clear. But that doesn't devalue the economic activity those districts drive.

• Like 4

Middle Tennessee employers added more than 33,000 people to their ranks in June, adding to — and outpacing — May’s rebound and putting the region on pace to regain half of this spring’s lost jobs by the end of this month.

Preliminary data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics show that Nashville-area organizations finished last month with 967,900 non-farm workers on their payrolls. June’s gains followed a rebound of nearly 25,000 jobs in May, which has been revised from the BLS’ initial estimate of about 22,000. Combined, the past two months have seen area employers recover more than 58,000 of the 142,000 jobs they shed in April as COVID-19 caused shutdowns, furloughs and layoffs. The drop from 2019’s employment levels has now been trimmed to 6.4 percent from nearly 12 percent in April.

Leisure and hospitality businesses — which were hammered in April — added the most jobs of any sector in June, as they had the month before. The addition of 12,200 jobs on top of nearly 20,000 in May have brought that sector’s employment back to about 94,000, down from 120,000 early this year.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/economic-indicators/article/21140682/region-added-33000-jobs-in-june

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

Haha I swear I mentally finished that last sentence with Epicenter in mind. It's so sad.

I'm also in the boat of not understanding the Broadway hate. Is it incredibly cringeworthy at times? Yes, often. Do I go? Rarely. Unless you're living or working within close proximity to it, it really isn't bothering you.

I think this is the case for any touristy district in a city like the ones you mentioned. Most locals will steer clear. But that doesn't devalue the economic activity those districts drive.

Yeah...I think we focus too much on the bars and forget about Bridgestone with the Preds and world-class concerts...Titans stadium with NFL football...and many museums.  Add in the NoMA'AM and retail at 5th and Broad and that area is getting cooler and cooler.  Also...don't forget the pedestrian bridge, amphitheater, east bank park...and Nashville Yards will be within walking distance.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Yeah...I think we focus too much on the bars and forget about Bridgestone with the Preds and world-class concerts...Titans stadium with NFL football...and many museums.  Add in the NoMA'AM and retail at 5th and Broad and that area is getting cooler and cooler.  Also...don't forget the pedestrian bridge, amphitheater, east bank park...and Nashville Yards will be within walking distance.

and Printer's Alley!  In my opinion, THE best place in all of downtown... especially when there's nude karaoke happening (j/k... mostly)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JoeyX said:

I don't know why anyone would complain about having under normal circumstances (non pandemic) a tourist magnet like Broadway. New York, New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, all have their entertainment districts that flourish under normal circumstances. Would you prefer Nashville to have a ghost town attraction like the Epicenter in Charlotte?

In normal times, it is the bread and butter of Nashville, not to mention part of the meat.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, subkyle said:

And it’s not like the tourists are just people from the mid south. The hometowns of MANY of our tourists would shock some people. Especially people that don’t go down there much. 

Yep...I drove for Uber for just 1 month...and I picked up at least 10 parties of people from out of the US at BNA and every single one wanted me to drop them off on Lower Broadway.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, subkyle said:

And it’s not like the tourists are just people from the mid south. The hometowns of MANY of our tourists would shock some people. Especially people that don’t go down there much. 

So true, I actually drove Uber part time on the weekends for a year.   It is amazing the pull Broadway has with these people.  It was nothing to do 20 rides on a Saturday and come across maybe two people from Nashville and the rest out of state.  Usually NY/NJ area or Boston and then a few from the mid-west.  Also get a ton from Australia, England and other parts of Europe.  Can't recall a night I didn't have at least a couple from out of the country.   One night I had rides from Australia,  another Australia and Scotland all in a row.  

• Like 3

I think its different stroke for different folks! 

For me, I don't like visiting Broadway as a local. When I vacation for instance in  NoLa, I only visit Bourbon St. maybe once and and then I am done. I have no desire to go back to the strip in Las Vegas and have seen enough of Times Square in NYC to know I don't want to go.  Too many people, too many drunks, too much touristy cheese in all of these places. I get the same vibe when I go to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I went to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg for the first time in my life a couple of years ago and never again. Maybe its a sign I am getting older, but I never did Gatlinburg when I was younger. I never did the Beaches that much either for the same reason. Too many people. Besides hanging around a beach for me, is a colossal waste of time. I never had a beach body anyway. I went with friends but was usually bored.

Maybe it's just me, I just dont like the crowds anywhere I go. But if it is your cup of tea then go for it.  No amusement parks for me either. They are good for the economy, but I hate the lines and the crowds. But if you want to go, then I will never stand in your way. 

Even many of the national parks are ruined by crowds. Even when I was in Yosemite I went up in elevation to get away from people.  My remedy there is to charge a lot more to get into those parks to keep the riff raff out. If you live within 200 miles of a national  park you should be charge triple to get in, but parks like the Smokey's cant charge entrance fees because of the way they were chartered. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DDIG said:

The hatred for Broadway by Nashvillians especially fascinates me. It's something different and distinct about us that drives tourism and revenue. My guess is the haters are mostly people have moved here from CA and NYC the last five or so years who are ashamed by its redneck motif. People who hate it take themselves way too seriously. I don't go out there often, but always have fun when I bring a visiting friend there. 

You lose Broadway and what do we have? A bunch of mostly samesie hipster restaurants that you can find another variation of in any of our other peer cities. Its nice to have something distinct.

Also I 100% do not buy that Broadway is seeding COVID. The people down there aren't Nashvillians. The city has no data that backs this, it is just an easy thing to focus blame on and then shut down and act like we're are doing something. The Broadway bars shut down almost 20 days ago and absolutely nothing has changed about our COVID numbers.

https://newschannel9.com/news/coronavirus/crowds-swarm-broadway-many-not-wearing-masks-despite-mandate

The bars clearly aren't closed. People aren't wearing masks. Perhaps most of the patrons are tourists, but what about the employees? 

In regards to your question about hatred of Broadway, I think people hate it because it's fake. They hate the peddle taverns and all the other tacky transpotainment B.S. They hate screaming groups of bachelorettes in cowboy boots. Broadway has become a facsimile or pastiche of whatever Nashville means in the popular culture. And a one hit wonder douchebag from Michigan has a "honky tonk" there.

Maybe that's just me. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, JoeyX said:

Not sure if this is directed at me but it sounds like it was. Nowhere in my post did I complain or wish that we didn't' have it. I just said there is no appeal to it for me. HUGE difference between what you are insinuating. I will go downtown for Ryman, Ascend, or Schermerhorn events, but the actual Broadway scene isn't my cup of tea. 

Leave it to the internet though to completely take something out of context and then run with it. 

The city is supposed to announce on Thursday that all businesses serving alcohol will have to close by 10:00pm.

Obviously directed at Broadway. I fall into the camp that these are largely tourists, here for a few days and gone. Workers tend to wear masks, from what I see. Our local spread is not really coming from the tourists but from us, simply not being as careful as we were a few months ago. After not knowing anyone with the virus, for months, I now know several who've had it. They tend to be younger, irresponsible and not on Broadway. I don't know how to prevent friends from gathering for dinner/drinks.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Well the peddle taverns are a whole other thing. Whoever can get those banned deserves a statue.

But the bars are closed. Establishments that sell greater than 50% food are opened. So that's just a handful of places on Broadway and part of the crowding with the streets problem as there are less places to enter.

You can't really tell from those videos if rules are being followed inside. I imagine they mostly are as the establishments know what is on the line. You DO NOT have to wear a mask as a patron if you are seated at a table - those are the rules. I feel pretty confident their employees are wearing masks.

I'm not sure what's so fake about Broadway that deserves extreme disdain over anything else in Nashville. Tootsie's and Robert's have been here as long as anything else and the street has a long music history. I don't like the bars named after current people either, I think it is short sighted, but most of them are pretty nice bars. I personally don't really have a problem that people like to come here, spend money and have fun - it is confusing to me why people have so much anger about a place they rarely ever go. 

Nashville has always had a segment of residents who hate anything to do with country music.  It was even worse when Hee Haw was on the air.  They're embarrassed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

The city is supposed to announce on Thursday that all businesses serving alcohol will have to close by 10:00pm.

Obviously directed at Broadway. I fall into the camp that these are largely tourists, here for a few days and gone. Workers tend to wear masks, from what I see. Our local spread is not really coming from the tourists but from us, simply not being as careful as we were a few months ago. After not knowing anyone with the virus, for months, I now know several who've had it. They tend to be younger, irresponsible and not on Broadway. I don't know how to prevent friends from gathering for dinner/drinks.

All the numbers in the U.S. say most spread happens in the home, especially from essential workers who catch it on the job and take it home. The obsession with Broadway is all theater.

As I pointed out before, when people said explosions were happening downtown, the real case driver was 90+ cases in a Halfway home that shared the same zip code as the Gulch.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Nashville restaurants serving alcohol have to close at 10pm...starting Friday.  We'll see how this affects Lower Broadway.

https://www.wkrn.com/community/health/coronavirus/nashville-restaurants-serving-alcohol-ordered-to-close-by-10-p-m-beginning-friday/

It will hurt the bars and restaurants for sure, but folks will simply start earlier. They will load up on "supplies" and take the parties back to the hotels that will likely search for ways to accommodate their guests. Folks coming to Nashville to party, will find a way.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

It will hurt the bars and restaurants for sure, but folks will simply start earlier. They will load up on "supplies" and take the parties back to the hotels that will likely search for ways to accommodate their guests. Folks coming to Nashville to party, will find a way.

I just wonder if people will still hang out on Lower Broadway after 10pm.  I'm guessing this will pretty much shut down Lower Broadway at 10pm.

Question - Metro is looking at the 14 day trend as one, of several, guides for keeping things closed. We've been averaging 410 cases (by my questionable math) for the last 14 days, perhaps longer. Is this simply our new normal? Should we be in the "red" zone, if for more than 14 days, these are our typical numbers? Is Metro trying to get to numbers that we can't reach and maintain some level of our economy going? I'm not saying reopen the bars, but just when does more than 14 days of similarly high numbers become the norm and not the exception?

13 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Question - Metro is looking at the 14 day trend as one, of several, guides for keeping things closed. We've been averaging 410 cases (by my questionable math) for the last 14 days, perhaps longer. Is this simply our new normal? Should we be in the "red" zone, if for more than 14 days, these are our typical numbers? Is Metro trying to get to numbers that we can't reach and maintain some level of our economy going? I'm not saying reopen the bars, but just when does more than 14 days of similarly high numbers become the norm and not the exception?

Looks like we are getting a slope downward. Hopefully that's a new trajectory:

• Like 1

Who remembers Broadway before the Bredesen years? If you think what's going on now is bad, it's nothing compared to what it was. Are there tons more people now? Of course, and why not? It's one massive party. When I was in my lower 20s (some 15 years ago), I'd go there myself, granted it wasn't near the scene it is now. Do I care for it now? Not really, loud drunk people really are for me anymore. But there is still plenty to do, and I can't wait for 5th and Broad to open up. Yes parts of it are annoying, but if you know what annoys you, you know where not to go. At least it's not spread all over the city. 

As far as COVID goes, I do think the bars reopening did have an effect as the COVID heat map for the city actually moved from the southern part of town to downtown. Now this probably wasn't the only cause, but likely didn't help. I'm all for a mask mandate and enforcement. I think people can still go out and have a good time, but now is the time for moderation. If you want to go out, do so, but do so with a mask, stay 6 feet from people and wash your hands. It's a rather easy thing to do. Hell, I just got back from Disney last week when they reopened and I felt MUCH safer there due to their precautions than I do here, and that was because everyone had a mask, kept their distance and sanitized their hands.

6 minutes ago, satalac said:

Who remembers Broadway before the Bredesen years? If you think what's going on now is bad, it's nothing compared to what it was. Are there tons more people now? Of course, and why not? It's one massive party. When I was in my lower 20s (some 15 years ago), I'd go there myself, granted it wasn't near the scene it is now. Do I care for it now? Not really, loud drunk people really are for me anymore. But there is still plenty to do, and I can't wait for 5th and Broad to open up. Yes parts of it are annoying, but if you know what annoys you, you know where not to go. At least it's not spread all over the city. 

As far as COVID goes, I do think the bars reopening did have an effect as the COVID heat map for the city actually moved from the southern part of town to downtown. Now this probably wasn't the only cause, but likely didn't help. I'm all for a mask mandate and enforcement. I think people can still go out and have a good time, but now is the time for moderation. If you want to go out, do so, but do so with a mask, stay 6 feet from people and wash your hands. It's a rather easy thing to do. Hell, I just got back from Disney last week when they reopened and I felt MUCH safer there due to their precautions than I do here, and that was because everyone had a mask, kept their distance and sanitized their hands.

This is actually probably an awesome time to go to Disney as long as everyone is complying. What were the waits like?