Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am mostly a lurker now that I have switched jobs and I am WFH 100% of the time now... but I used to walk around downtown and take pics.  I always love coming to this board.  I hit this site many tim

Instead of everyone being in total "fear" mode and panicking if their next door neighbor in their building has the virus...maybe it would be best if everyone banded together and made sure they provide

I'm not sure what your personal insecurities about the gender identities of other people have to do with fighting a global pandemic... but that aside, I think it should be pretty evident to everyone t

Posted Images

Hey guys hope all is staying safe out there! A little off topic so feel free to remove, but my company has come out of stealth in the midst of this global crisis. 

One of the areas we've been exploring for years as a market vertical for our telepresence platform is Remote Collaborative Architectural Visualization.
However with global shutdown of offices and international travel, we've been focused on medical/pharma customers due to the drastically changing economic landscape, and uprise for emergency remote work contingency plans.
The ability for developers, architects, planners, investors, and government officials to come together face-to-face has never been more critical.

Again feel free to delete. I am based in Nashville, and have been quietly talking to a few smaller residential and light commercial firms about possibilities in this space.

Ian Nott

XR Telepresence - London <> Atlanta <> New York City with a special thanks to Dr. Shafi Ahmed in London
Also thanks to John Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering's GitHub for providing our team real time datasets.
With the global outbreak of COVID-19. The future of remote work has never been more mission critical at ensuring continuity of the global economy.
More importantly, maintaining international collaboration towards effective preventive and treatment measures for COVID-19.
  • Like 2

I kinda wish I'd just go ahead and get it, quarantine myself and move on with my business. That is if I don't die from some underlying issue I wasn't aware I had.  Can we just do like some people do with multiple kids when one would get chicken pox? Throw them all in the tub at the same time and get it over with. I mean, of course without the tub this time. Maybe even make it a tourist attraction. A sealed party bus where you just all drink and get the coronavirus. Let Corona sponsor it and finally make some money off this virus. Maybe call it the Corona Carriage? Wooooo *cough* wooooo!

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, satalac said:

I kinda wish I'd just go ahead and get it, quarantine myself and move on with my business. That is if I don't die from some underlying issue I wasn't aware I had.  Can we just do like some people do with multiple kids when one would get chicken pox? Throw them all in the tub at the same time and get it over with. I mean, of course without the tub this time. Maybe even make it a tourist attraction. A sealed party bus where you just all drink and get the coronavirus. Let Corona sponsor it and finally make some money off this virus. Maybe call it the Corona Carriage? Wooooo *cough* wooooo!

Only problem is that it's been proven you can catch this back to back.  Several in China were reported to have recovered and then caught it again...which is very scary.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Only problem is that it's been proven you can catch this back to back.  Several in China were reported to have recovered and then caught it again...which is very scary.

By all means somebody correct me if I am wrong, but what I've heard is that the jury is still out on that and that those couple of reported repeat cases (there was a report of one in Japan as well) were possibly just relapses from the same infection.  Let's hope so!

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

By all means somebody correct me if I am wrong, but what I've heard is that the jury is still out on that and that those couple of reported repeat cases (there was a report of one in Japan as well) were possibly just relapses from the same infection.  Let's hope so!

From what I’ve gathered, there were some issues with test accuracy, so false negatives may be in play here. We simply don’t have enough data to determine if the virus can reinfect or not. 

Edit: The panic buying has turned to food now. The downtown Publix was almost completely bought out of pasta, non-specialty breads, completely bought out of eggs, milk was very low, and bought out of all meat except for some steaks, roasts, pork, and sausage. Everyone was orderly, but shelves were pretty bare. 

68CB24F8-E09E-49B8-BE8B-ECED38F1882E.thumb.jpeg.3b188594a6b8097e33e1412e006c7b69.jpeg

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I pretty much planned ahead and have about two months on hand, as I have been watching this coming since the 23 of January or so. I had talked to William at the beginning of last month and told him everything that was about to happen. It has happened now. I had also been having a few little side bars with downtownresident and Mrbond as well, and mentioned my concerns last month as well.

The way to end this is to bite the bullet and shut it all down for about three to four weeks. Keep the borders closed while the rest of the world still struggles to deal with the virus. Italy is doing just that and until our government stops screwing around we are in deep trouble. The current administration is clueless as how to handle this. 

I do think the warmer weather will help slow it down, but it will roar back in the fall.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

2009 - 2010: H1N1 virus (swine flu)

U.S. deaths: 12,000+

President: Barack Obama

I trust the CDC more than whoever is president

I would expand upon that and say I trust the CDC more than any politician.  I really, really hope politics doesn't get in the way of working towards a solution (any more than it has already).

• Like 4

Actually the model that seems to be working reasonably well is to let the states and municipalities handle the big decisions and have the feds provide assistance as requested. The state of California has received everything they've asked from HHS and DHS.  New York's governor said the same today.  Even with an epidemic, one size does not fit all. Certain gateways have specific needs that quarantining a whole city won't address, while certain other places may be able to quarantine with a local area. More testing kits are needed for sure, but just giving out kits to anyone who feels a need for one won't do any good and just waste precious resources. 

For the Economy, there needs to be a concerted effort from both branches, and this is where the politics are getting in the way of helping the situation. I heard today that the House is treating this crisis as an opportunity to 'light the tree' with things they didn't get passed in the Omnibus last two years. Of course it was DOA in the Senate. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I pretty much planned ahead and have about two months on hand, as I have been watching this coming since the 23 of January or so. I had talked to William at the beginning of last month and told him everything that was about to happen. It has happened now. I had also been having a few little side bars with downtownresident and Mrbond as well, and mentioned my concerns last month as well.

The way to end this is to bite the bullet and shut it all down for about three to four weeks. Keep the borders closed while the rest of the world still struggles to deal with the virus. Italy is doing just that and until our government stops screwing around we are in deep trouble. The current administration is clueless as how to handle this. 

I do think the warmer weather will help slow it down, but it will roar back in the fall.

Same, I started my prep when the first large cluster in Italy was reported, which was around the time that Iran had started losing control. I went today to top some stuff off, and it was the craziest I’ve ever seen that Publix. 

• Thanks 1

I stopped by the Melrose Kroger this morning, as I often do on the way to work. Yes, it was hit hard yesterday, but the shelves were not totally bare and there was the (usual) army of folks restocking. The usual 5-10 shoppers I normally see.

I saw absolutely no paper products or eggs but there was milk (the shelves were about 20% stocked). There was bread, about 20% stocked. If your not stuck on your name brand of an item, you can generally find it. I know it will be another bad day, so I'd shop early if you're so inclined.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LA_TN said:

2009 - 2010: H1N1 virus (swine flu)

U.S. deaths: 12,000+

President: Barack Obama

I trust the CDC more than whoever is president

The CDC mishandled the situation just as bad as the administration. So did the WHO. It took them way too long to declare a pandemic when the criteria was met the second week in February. That was mishandled from the very start and I believe partly because Tedros is from a country that China has deep claws into. The WHO did not want to upset China, which I firmly believed lied about the situation and the number of cases.

There was and is lots of bad information coming out of the CDC and the WHO. The CDC was not even following their own guidelines that were on their website from 2007 when it comes to handling a pandemic. The Trump administration dismantled much of the safeguards that were put in place by the Obama administration after the Ebola outbreak and cut funding. Remember the CDC is part of the government and is doing what the White House tell them.  This is why your are getting conflicting information from health official and the administration. The put a monkey in charge of the banana plantation with Pence who "really" needs to go see the Wizard of OZ for a brain. His past actions indicate he has no belief that science works and that prayer solves everything. Yes, I do think you should pray, but to not use your brains and science is reckless. His past behavior as governor of Indiana shows this.

Sorry to get political on this but this administration is doing a horrendous job regardless of the back patting the president does to himself.

• Like 4

One of the largest conventions that MCC books every several years, the NRA, has cancelled it's April 16-19 event in Nashville.  In 2015 it had 79,000 attendance and booked 29,000 hotel rooms.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/03/13/nra-cancels-nashville-convention-amid-coronavirus.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

This goes along with these additional cancellations:

-  135 cancellations and seven block reductions, representing 73,879 room nights and 36,909 attendees.

-  These meetings were expected to generate $35.44 million in direct spending, $2.93 million in state taxes, and $3.15 million in local taxes.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/03/13/coronavirus-nashville-sees-more-event.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Thanks 1

The company I work for is on day two of our "drill" for everybody working remotely.  I am wondering if they are calling it a drill/test just to alleviate some of the panic employees could have if it was called something different. The CEO also announced that if anybody has to take time off due to the virus that they will receive up to 2 weeks PTO for it.

The Kroger off Concord/Nolensville was a madhouse yesterday. I saw some people walking around with two shopping carts FULL of items. Items like TP, water, pasta were to no surprise empty but I don't know why cheese would be an item out of stock as well. The panic shopping makes me laugh, esp since I used to work for Kroger's Supply Chain Team.

I have gotten off social media though. It is just inundated with the extreme views of this and that gets exhausting. Like most things, no middle ground whatsoever.

• Like 4

The benefits of being (mostly) vegetarian and vegan, and baking my own bread, are suddenly coming into focus.  No need for bread, milk, or cheese.  The pantry is already full of beans, pasta and sauces.  Not sure what I'll do when the TP runs out.

Warren Buffet stated that people are driving less.  GEICO is seeing fewer accidents reported each day.

• Like 1