Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

Metro's "official" wording - 

The following modifications for Phase 2 will begin Tuesday, September 1:

• Weddings, funerals, and other similar ceremonies at event venues may resume at 1/3rd capacity or up to 125 people, assuming proper social distancing – whichever is fewer. Masks required while standing.
  • Transpotainment vehicles may resume operation at 50 percent capacity up to a maximum of 10 people, who must belong to the same party. Masks required while standing.
  • Bars and Limited Service Restaurants may continue to serve 25 patrons inside but may expand service to an additional 25 patrons in outdoor spaces, such as patios and rooftop areas, for a total of 50 patrons per establishment if applicable.
  • Restaurants and bars may resume seated-only service at bar counters throughout Davidson County with social distancing between parties. No standing at the bar counter.
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Well, one thing the council could do if this passes is to build a 2% automatic annual tax increase into the budget and spend the money and take advantage of the language. Then I will bet they will want to repeal it in a heartbeat.

I'm not a fan of arbitrarily raising taxes, but that 2% cap seems like it could be extremely crippling for the city. You never know the conditions of the future and if this city grows exponentially, you could easily run into a situation where you can't come close to servicing it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Big update: only 30 new cases today. Down to 1,400 active cases. We're down 4,000 active cases in a month. If we are sitting under 1,000 cases soon (which at this rate we will easily this week) and our kids aren't back in school and businesses aren't given more freedom, people are going to get really restless. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Big update: only 30 new cases today. Down to 1,400 active cases. We're down 4,000 active cases in a month. If we are sitting under 1,000 cases soon (which at this rate we will easily this week) and our kids aren't back in school and businesses aren't given more freedom, people are going to get really restless. 

I don't think Cooper and Co. realize just how much they are messing with people's livelihoods. Kids that could be playing high school football are anxiously sitting on the sidelines, some wondering if it will cost them a college scholarship. 

Things are trending in the right direction. If he doesn't start easing up a bit on some of these restrictions, he's going to quickly turn into a one term mayor.

• Like 4

I learned that the state Cross Country meet will NOT be held at its annual location, Warner Park this year because of the COVID lockdown. It will be held in Hendersonville at Sanders Park over two days. A not-so-small event, but I'd guess it's one that brings people and their money from all over the state. When my son ran there a few years ago, it lasted for 6-7 hours and had about 7500 people in attendance over that time. Instead it will be held over two days and that means a significant number of lodging/restaurant customers. 

25 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

I don't think Cooper and Co. realize just how much they are messing with people's livelihoods. Kids that could be playing high school football are anxiously sitting on the sidelines, some wondering if it will cost them a college scholarship. 

Things are trending in the right direction. If he doesn't start easing up a bit on some of these restrictions, he's going to quickly turn into a one term mayor.

I'll be shocked if he isn't a one term Mayor regardless. The 34% tax increase after pledging not to raise taxes will be the only ad his opposition needs to run.

• Like 4

I've only guessed as much, but anyone here have any idea where his support lies?  It was my sense from the campaigns that much of his support came from the more conservative suburban areas, and they have to be the most ticked off by this tax increase.  Is that a correct read?  

1 minute ago, MLBrumby said:

I've only guessed as much, but anyone here have any idea where his support lies?  It was my sense from the campaigns that much of his support came from the more conservative suburban areas, and they have to be the most ticked off by this tax increase.  Is that a correct read?  

With his overwhelming win, I'm thinking it would have been mostly conservatives and lower middle class residents in Davidson County.  His promise of no new taxes won him the job. Didn't he get like 65% of the vote?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Yes, Nashville Scene had an article on this a month or so ago. It summation, that is what helped catapulted him, and now the left is AT BEST indifferent to him, and the right not only dislikes him but was pushing recall Cooper campaigns and now recall his property tax increase. I don't see it getting much better for him, but there's a long way to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I learned that the state Cross Country meet will NOT be held at its annual location, Warner Park this year because of the COVID lockdown. It will be held in Hendersonville at Sanders Park over two days. A not-so-small event, but I'd guess it's one that brings people and their money from all over the state. When my son ran there a few years ago, it lasted for 6-7 hours and had about 7500 people in attendance over that time. Instead it will be held over two days and that means a significant number of lodging/restaurant customers. 

When did he run?

I ran at State in '13 and '14

Just missed you... '16. Injured the next year, his senior year. BTW: At that meet in '16 my wife spied the guy who played "Deacon" in the TV show "Nashville". He was off by himself near the paddock fence and talking on his phone. But my wife was just about to jump out of her skin with excitement [smh]. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2020 at 11:46 PM, UTgrad09 said:

Why are citizens expected to tighten their belts, but the government should be fully funded? 

The current budget included nearly a quarter billion $$ in cuts to programs and grants.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:04 AM, DDIG said:

2% cap

Increases in health insurance costs would eat up all (and more) of this every year.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:46 PM, UTgrad09 said:

I think it's a Trojan horse.

I agree. I think what they really want is to force Metro into receivership and a State takeover.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

The current budget included nearly a quarter billion $$ in cuts to programs and grants.

Increases in health insurance costs would eat up all (and more) of this every year.

I agree. I think what they really want is to force Metro into receivership and a State takeover.

Yeah. I've made it clear I'm no fan of Cooper, but this is like an extinction level for Metro Government if it passes. And I imagine it would have a VERY good shot at passing because if you ask people to vote on DO I WANT TO STOP MY TAXES FROM GOING UP it is pretty easy to vote yes without worrying about context.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Yeah. I've made it clear I'm no fan of Cooper, but this is like an extinction level for Metro Government if it passes. And I imagine it would have a VERY good shot at passing because if you ask people to vote on DO I WANT TO STOP MY TAXES FROM GOING UP it is pretty easy to vote yes without worrying about context.

If it comes to a vote, I agree, it could easily pass. I was surprised at the level of anger over the tax increase from some of my normally quieter friends.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

The unions will have to get involved for it to not pass, or if there is a loophole for it not to get on the ballot. 

True. Although I don't think the teachers' unions hold the high levels of community support they used to right now.

Mayor Cooper is shutting down Broadway to vehicle traffic between 5th and 4th Avenues to promote social distancing. Hopefully this extends down to 1st. 

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/part-of-broadway-closed-to-traffic-sunday-night?fbclid=IwAR2xAX-jKiaFzvZ_QCrjeroF7epoLfwSrF5BOQyTRJ8jI795FkrMO2Ymzks

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

This charter amendment is horrendously bad. Praying it does not pass. 

This is all accurate and mostly well stated. Let me just note though how stupid that last quote by Anthony Davis is. You want bipartisan understanding that this is awful and throwing out "far-right" in your statement is a dog whistle to make it tribal.

• Like 4