Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

2 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

Great. This should be wonderful for Metro's bottom line. Thanks, John.

Good luck on trying to get that to be awarded in their favor. They can try, but I wouldn't see it going well for them given what governments are allowed to do in the public interest during a health emergency. 

But also, they want to complain now about the city seeking a tax increase for budget woes, this would potentially bankrupt the city and then you've got an entirely different f**kery at hand. 

• Like 1

I have no problem with media 'news' getting it wrong, as long as it's an honest attempt and the organization follows up with clarification when they get it wrong (public apologies mean almost nothing to me, but if that's also included, then OK). I mean, according to several national polls, a very scant minority even trust news media now.  Granted, we don't know if this channel was trying to be honest in their expose, but (for a moment) let's give them the benefit of a doubt. What I mean by that is this.. news outlets must be allowed to get some things wrong if they are to feel any liberty to go after any story.  Their audience will judge them by their clarifications, and the number of times they're compelled to do it.  Don't misunderstand me... as an attorney, I value slander/libel laws and haven't met a reporter who isn't aware of them. I do know of (and personally a couple) news media people who push those limits frequently.  But standards shouldn't be just whatever a news outlet sets for its own corporate policies/procedures. If there was whiff of impropriety, then good on this news outlet (and any) for sniffing out the story (yes, I mixed a couple of metaphors... sorry, not sorry).  If they do this too much, their audience will decline. But public shame for going after a story? Sorry, I just don't fault any of them for doing that. There's too much 'group' effort in media today. They all even use the same words too many times. To this channel, there's a lesson in getting a 'story' wrong. They should hope they've learned a lesson. 

I agree... too many of the sources we should trust deliberately leave out important details. 

I should have prefaced my comment as a general statement... not a defense of this particular station on this particular story.  Nobody knows better than I that news media sucks. I had a client whose career was completely destroyed by local media here in Chattanooga.

Maybe we will see the mayor leaving office soon as well. I think he will be a one termer now that he has effectively committed political suicide with the tax increase and  the controversy over COVID. There are no winners as far as how you handle the pandemic. Half will like it and half will not.

I really think the voters will want someone fresh and taller next time around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Maybe we will see the mayor leaving office soon as well. I think he will be a one termer now that he has effectively committed political suicide with the tax increase and  the controversy over COVID. There are no winners as far as how you handle the pandemic. Half will like it and half will not.

I really think the voters will want someone fresh and taller next time around.

Who is the next Democrat built in the persona of a Bredesen / Dean?  Someone who comes across as the man / woman in control...mostly non-partisan (at least publicly)...and gets the big picture?  Surely there's someone built in that style...right?  I can't think of either a Dem or Rep in the city off hand.  I hope they're out there.  I would even love to see someone like Butch Spyridon run for mayor.  I was in Leadership Music with him back in 2007...and he's an all-around good guy.  Have no idea of his politics...but he has a love for Nashville...I think he "gets it."  However...I'm not sure he'd be interested in running the city.  I think he likes where he is.

• Like 3

My guess is that Freddie makes a run or one of the other smarter well spoken council persons. I am sure Steve Glover will try and fail. He showed his rear making false claims on Fox news with the Fox 17 story. Freddie is pretty liberal though.

Good or bad, when you exploit a false news item for political benefit and it comes back to bite you in the rear, most folks remember that. I recognize Cooper is a baffoon but so it Glover! I cover both sides of the political spectrum here. I just do not like extremism. II am a middle of the road voice of reason person. That is why Bredesen was popular.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

My guess is that Freddie makes a run or one of the other smarter well spoken council persons. I am sure Steve Glover will try and fail. He showed his rear making false claims on Fox news with the Fox 17 story. Freddie is pretty liberal though.

Good or bad, when you exploit a false news item for political benefit and it comes back to bite you in the rear, most folks remember that. I recognize Cooper is a baffoon but so it Glover! I cover both sides of the political spectrum here. I just do not like extremism. II am a middle of the road voice of reason person. That is why Bredesen was popular.

Freddie is pretty level headed and pragmatic. I could see him or Bob Mendes make a run for it. 

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

After Independence High School closed earlier this week due to Covid-19, now Page H.S. (also in Williamson County) is closing as well.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/franklin/2020/09/30/williamson-page-high-school-closes-covid-19/3589621001/

That's the thing to take into consideration.  Once temps drop below 77 degrees, viruses aren't as easily killed by the sun (and temperature...of course)...part of the reason viruses spread so easily in the fall, winter and spring, even outdoors (according to an epidemiologist friend).  So...we're possibly going to start seeing this thing worsen before we get vaccines.

Btw...I had two relatives in Arkansas who died of Covid last week. :tw_dissapointed:

• Sad 4