Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

44 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Really? Do we need to result to insults and put downs?

I'd think he'd test the waters first by running for an at-large CM seat.

I think I had someone else in mind for mayor with that comment and that was Freddie. He is taller and fresh. He is also making a name for himself and a at large run makes no difference in my mind. Sorry you took It as an insult, but I dare say that ever who runs will be taller than Cooper and it is a proven fact that taller people commmand more respect subconsciously from others. Cooper is not a sharp dresser,nor does he keep a very well groomed appearance,  IMO.

He is making a ton of blunders in his first term and he is NOT a very good communicator. 

Bob Mendes is a good pick and so would Colby Sledge. When I think of Glover I think of his phone in hand bathroom episode he recorded.

27 minutes ago, titanhog said:

That's the thing to take into consideration.  Once temps drop below 77 degrees, viruses aren't as easily killed by the sun (and temperature...of course)...part of the reason viruses spread so easily in the fall, winter and spring, even outdoors (according to an epidemiologist friend).  So...we're possibly going to start seeing this thing worsen before we get vaccines.

Btw...I had two relatives in Arkansas who died of Covid last week. :tw_dissapointed:

So sorry to hear.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Anyone have a clearer read on Cooper's base of support and whether or not he shot that wad with the tax hike? 

He’s toast. Prior to the tax hike, he’d at least some comments supporting him for going after developers, etc, but that crowd has abandoned him, he’s pushed away the business crowd, and the progressive crowd wouldn’t have supported him anyways.

If he goes up against someone moderately progressive that is even slightly charismatic and palatable to the business crowd, I don’t think he makes it to runoff. I’d really like to see Mendes run. He’s won a city wide seat already, and is progressive, but pragmatic. He’s led the way in reforming incentives and TIF while on council, and I feel like he’d do well. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

If he goes up against someone moderately progressive that is even slightly charismatic and palatable to the business crowd, I don’t think he makes it to runoff. I’d really like to see Mendes run. He’s won a city wide seat already, and is progressive, but pragmatic. He’s led the way in reforming incentives and TIF while on council, and I feel like he’d do well. 

The hard core AFP fans will vehemently go against him, to be realistic. 

• Like 1

As I said I was speaking of Freddie, so if you dont like it too bad. You are the ones that perceived it as a put down. Besides if I insult, I insult all sides at once. Its not like I hit the left only. I do think that Freddie will make a run as he has been a constant critic of Cooper!

I just do not like clowns and buffoons' in politics that tend to show their rear end. We have had a bunch in local politics including Bill Boner, Ray Blanton, Steve Glover,  Glen Casada, and the list goes on that deserve ridicule over mismanagement, bad behavior, buffoonery  and if they are in politics they are in a position  to be called out.

I dare say there were some very unkind things said about Megan Berry on here and no one said anything. Its just people get mad when they like the person.

If Freddie did something that was crazy he would easily come under ridicule as well. Politicians, public officials, movie stars and the such have long had caricatures done of them in newspapers and magazine, some dead on, some not so flattering, and some comical.

51 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

I wish I could be more optimistic on downtown dining, but as long as mask wearing is viewed as a political thing, we aren't coming out of this virus anytime soon. Wearing masks is the best weapon to slow down transmission and keep places open. The state is of no help as they lifted requirements. It's like they stick their heads in the sand and shoot themselves in the foot at the same time.

I agree that masks help...but they only help so much.  I don't think wearing masks is going to help restaurants as much as we'd like them to help.   IMO, the vaccine may be the only thing to get us back to some kind of normal...but that's going to take a majority of citizens to actually take the vaccine.

I do wonder how we eventually got past the Spanish flu.  Did it eventually just wane and life got back to normal without any type of vaccine?  Did we reach herd immunity with the Spanish flu?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

I agree that masks help...but they only help so much.  I don't think wearing masks is going to help restaurants as much as we'd like them to help.   IMO, the vaccine may be the only thing to get us back to some kind of normal...but that's going to take a majority of citizens to actually take the vaccine.

I do wonder how we eventually got past the Spanish flu.  Did it eventually just wane and life got back to normal without any type of vaccine?  Did we reach herd immunity with the Spanish flu?

I don't disagree that masks can only help so much, but it's all we've got for now, and at least we'd have some degree of open hospitality and jobs.  A hospital worker, that I know, is saying they are being told to be prepared for some level of this to last through next year and likely beyond. The first vaccine availabilty will go to the most needy and work its way down. And then you have all the anti-vaccine folks who won't take it and then get sick. I am surprised at the number of my friends still reluctant to leave their homes and adamant that they will not take a vaccine until its been out at least 6 months to a year.  

My great grandmother died of the spanish flu when my grandmother was like 6 years old.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Any restaurant anywhere can require mask wearing upon entry and when not seated at a table. They have right to refuse service to a person who doesn't agree. Granted, it may spark an unpleasant exchange, but judging by the number of people I see regularly now in stores (well over 90%) wearing masks, that can be a policy for any establishment. Maybe we'll see more hosts at restaurants who look like nightclub bouncers and less dainty high school girls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

I don't disagree that masks can only help so much, but it's all we've got for now, and at least we'd have some degree of open hospitality and jobs.  A hospital worker, that I know, is saying they are being told to be prepared for some level of this to last through next year and liekly beyond. The first vaccine availabilty will go to the most needy and work its way down. And then you have all the anti-vaccine folks who won't take it and then get sick. I am surprised at the number of my friends still reluctant to leave their homes and adamant that they will not take a vaccine until its been out at least 6 months to a year.  

My great grandmother died of the spanish flu when my grandmother was like 6 years old.

Wow!  My great grandmother also died of the Spanish flu (early 1919)...and my grandmother was 7.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

My Grandmother lived in Old Hickory during the Spanish Flu and told me she remembered seeing the carts full of bodies roll down the street.

Sad thing about that virus is it was killing tons of 20-30 year olds with families of young kids.  Can't imagine how many orphans there were.

5 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I think I've made it pretty clear that I'm no fan of Mayor Cooper, but some of those are pretty weak reasons tbh.

Well, if you can impeach a president for lying about having sex or allegedly reaching out to another country for dirt that was in emails anyways... I guess anything is possible.

Nashville has dropped from #1 most expensive hotel city ($228 per night) last year, to #29 this year ($88 per night) according to CheapHotels' ranking. Obviously, the Covd-19 pandemic is the primary driver of this trend.

Researchers compared hotel rates across all 36 destinations in the U.S. with populations greater than 500,000 as well as 14 destinations with a population of more than 250,000.

Only centrally located hotels with a three-star rating or higher were considered. The survey considered the average price for the cheapest available double room for Oct. 1-30, 2020.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/10/20/louisville-ranks-among-most-expensive-us-city-fo.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

• Thanks 1

For what it's worth - Voted at Howard School Tuesday 11/20 . Got in line at 2:20 walked out at 3:05.  Parking a pain but patience paid off. The line was daunting but moved fairly quickly.

We had tried Green Hills but it was a cluster. No parking and a almost impassable street in front of the library with badly parked cars on both sides of the street.  That location needs traffic cops. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Thanks 1