Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

The Mayors of Sumner, Wilson and Williamson counties on Thursday reinstituted mask mandates nearly a month after letting their original orders expire, citing the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the region.

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/health-care/article/21144072/middle-tennessee-mayors-reinstitute-mask-mandates

6 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Tom Morales to close Acme Feed & Seed until further notice due to lack of enforcement of Covid restrictions:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/10/27/tom-morales-acme-closing-temporarily-covid-19.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

Can anyone, who can read the article, provide more details? This seems odd in that strict enforcement is almost impossible without the businesses (bars/restaraunts) working more with the city and that really isn't happening. Everyone is pushing the rules as much as they can get by with - just my observations.

Look at Performance Studios.  I would go there for Halloween costumes or items for the kids when they had elementary school plays.  They refused to re-open because they deemed it was unsafe for their employees.  Ok.  That's their choice.  As we speak their entire inventory is being auctioned off.  They will now just be selling their makeup brands online.   They took a rigid stance and they're closing shop.

Without getting into the clear political overtones... one thing that stood out as funny was how this person is criticizing the "drunk crowds" and how the "demographics of your average Broadway visitor has shifted".  Come on.  I've been down there way before COVID was a thing and I can for sure say that the typical Broadway crowd was never really that desirable.  Drunk rednecks, drunk girls, homeless yelling and demanding money...  Like that has changed?  Or is this person saying that he percentage of "these types" went from 92% to 95%?  

I like ACME's hot chicken sandwich.  I hope to get it again.  But if they end up closing for good in a temper tantrum, well.  Good bye!  I am sure a country singer will buy that building and slap their name on the front.  "Kenny's Korner" has a good ring to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

^^^ ok before I get beat up too badly.  I do believe in the wearing of masks and the science behind all of it.  Obviously this pandemic has turned very very political.  Business are able to operate and survive using the mask rule and extra cleaning precautions.  If a patron chooses not to wear a mask, turn them away!  

I understand that it must be hard to compete with the other Broadway businesses when they don’t enforce the rules.  Those crazy undesirables will choose to go there. 

If I managed ACME I would have a call to arms. “We’re struggling!  For those that love us, come downtown and enjoy a great meal and a cold drink. Just remember to bring your masks!  We will have special musical guests... etc”

But nope. It was a “we give up because no one is following the rules”.   I truly hope they make it. Don’t want to see anyone go down for this.  But id take a different approach.  Just my two cents I guess.  

• Like 3

Morales was one who in the beginning of the virus shutdown spoke as if he wouldn't open back up until this had run its course...but of course, no one knows how long that will be.  His choice to do whatever he thinks is best for his company...but for an employee to blame it on the other bars who are operating differently...and the belittle the crowd who are actually wanting to be down there...is unfortunate.  Operating bars during a pandemic is dangerous, even with everyone wearing a mask.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I cannot speak to specifics of the status of Performance Studios costume rental business prior to Covid, but I worked in the professional costume industry for forty years (on the live performance side). I have personally seen how the costume rental business has changed dramatically in the last decade, and a quick online search will show you that MANY long standing businesses have closed their doors, many of them BEFORE Covid was a factor. Nowadays it's just too easy to click on Amazon and find an acceptable costume that you can purchase for less than the price of a one day rental...and it won't smell of the ghost of the last fifty people who wore it, as an added bonus.

I believe ya.  Perf Studios ran into bad luck last year too.  They moved from their awesome space off Thompson Lane to an old boxy building in Antioch.   RIGHT before Halloween too.  And it took them forever to get the proper permits to open.  I needed a rental for a Con over Labor Day and they couldn't fulfill it.  I went back before Christmas for misc holiday costume pieces and their inventory was nothing and their setup wasn't great.  

That being said, their rentals were pretty amazing.  They had everything!  I needed an old 70's suit for Ron Burgundy and they had an amazing selection.  Same with Playboy smoking jackets.   But I am sure it was a matter of time anyways.  Even without a pandemic.  :(

17 hours ago, fishsticks176 said:

One of Acme’s longtime employees posted a list of reasons on Reddit:

2A14E68A-969C-4A67-BB40-4F7D55966222.jpeg

This is some virtue signaling BS in my opinion. Last I heard, none of the Broadway bars have been popped with any major health violations in recent months. Most of them are following the rules given to them since their livelihoods depend on it and all.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Effort to recall Cooper fizzles.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/28/nashville-mayor-john-cooper-second-recall-attempt-fails/6055464002/

Rally only drew 30 people, major financial backer withdrew, and few people to gather signatures.  WOOPS!

This was never actually about recalling him. Why were they collecting email addresses, which are not required? Steve Smith and (probably) Emily Evans are building an email list. The privacy policy on the online petition explicitly states that e-mail addresses will be used to, “fight for fair and transparent governance in Davidson County.” They knew they could not get close, but now they have valuable emails and zip codes.

Nashville ranked 27th most financially distressed city in U.S. due to Covid-19 pandemic according to WalletHub.

To quantify that, the report looked at four metrics:

- Credit score

- People with accounts in distress

- Average number of accounts in distress

- Change in number of bankruptcy filings between June 30, 2020 vs. June 30, 2019

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/10/30/nash-cities-in-financial-distress-because-covid.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

Full report here:

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-financial-distress/79863

3 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Thank God. 

I do say that though with a lot of sympathy for those that have to pay such a high tax increase... I just wish they weren't led on by this lawyer (and that the tax increase wasnt as high). 

Some of the provisions seemed more targeted toward torpedoing the Fairgrounds/MLS development than actually reigning in spending /finances, with the property tax provision as the bait to get them on the ballot. Glad that Chancellor Lyle came to this decision. Hopefully we will see a recovery in sales tax revenue and we can adjust the property tax down next fiscal year. 

• Like 1