Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

Walking across Broadway this afternoon and, just my opinion, we are doomed. Almost no mask wearing that I was seeing. In general, in walking around downtown, the least mask wearing I’ve seen. 

Ugh... look, I appreciate Nashville's tourists, as I'm sure we all do, but if Billy Bob from Bucksnort who thinks 'science is a hoax' or whatever is going to come strutting through spreading his stuff all around town then I wish he'd just stay the fluff home instead... for now, at least.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

State shatters single-day Covid-19 positive test record with 7,951 today.  The number of active cases in Tennessee has risen 61 percent in the past two weeks, with the state saying 43,101 individuals are now infected with COVID.

The number of patients hospitalized with the disease in the state is at its highest point yet, with more than 1,810 people now being treated for the virus at 114 hospitals. Hospital admissions attributable to COVID have grown 24 percent in the past two weeks.

More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/health-care/article/21144498/covid19-update-state-shatters-singleday-record

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Well if you dont wear a mask, then you deserve what you get. I sure do not want to infringe on their rights to catch COVID!

At first I was hopeful that wuhan coronavirus would be a trial run that would prepare us for when a real pandemic hits.  But instead it may have de-sensitized some segments of the population to warnings about infectious disease.  There was a recent news article about how some patients' last words were like "this virus is just a hoax" and then they die from it.  Denial to the very end...  To me it is unfathomable how a person reaches such a  mental state that is so disconnected from reality.  But I guess the mind does weird things as a defense mechanism to guard against reality if reality is too much to bear.

8 minutes ago, Armacing said:

At first I was hopeful that wuhan coronavirus would be a trial run that would prepare us for when a real pandemic hits.  But instead it may have de-sensitized some segments of the population to warnings about infectious disease.  There was a recent news article about how some patients' last words were like "this virus is just a hoax" and then they die from it.  Denial to the very end...  To me it is unfathomable how a person reaches such a  mental state that is so disconnected from reality.  But I guess the mind does weird things as a defense mechanism to guard against reality if reality is too much to bear.

I saw that report, it was one nurse on CNN - I'm a little weary of a nurse dunking on dying patients, but certainly people can be in denial at death. Hoaxers certainly exist, this country is large enough for any belief to exist, but I'm doubtful it as an incredibly prevalent mindset. Maybe it is just me, but I see pretty much 100% compliance everywhere I go in Nashville. No one is going in offices, most kids aren't in schools, yet the virus persists and appears to be another seasonal wave. Masks help, but we are naïve to think we can really control the virus at this point until there's a vaccine - state's who have maintained the strictest measures since March are again locking down (and may stay that way until out of winter). 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I actually know people that still think it is a hoax and just the flu. I just do not talk to them anymore. You can't fix stupid.

Well that's unfortunate at this point. I guess I'm lucky to not know anyone who believes that. 

• Like 1

Tennessee just crossed over the 4,000 death plateau from Covid-19.  Here are some sobering numbers:

First death: March 1st

1,000th death: July 29th (151 days)

2,000th death: Sept. 12th (44 days)

3,000th death: Oct. 22nd (39 days)

4,000th death: Nov. 18 (27 days)

We've gone from averaging 1,500 new cases per day in early September to over 4,000 per day now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Tennessee just crossed over the 4,000 death plateau from Covid-19.  Here are some sobering numbers:

First death: March 1st

1,000th death: July 29th (151 days)

2,000th death: Sept. 12th (44 days)

3,000th death: Oct. 22nd (39 days)

4,000 death: Nov. 18 (27 days)

We've gone from averaging 1,500 new cases per day in early September to over 4,000 per day now. 

Yep...we should have known it was going to be even worse once the cold weather hit in the fall / winter.  Pretty scary when you think how bad it's been in the late spring and summer.  No way to keep it from being worse during "flu" weather.  Gotta hope the vaccines work well and that most people will get them.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, Nash_12South said:

I have family that falls into the anti mask catagory, a lot in fact. My perspective it that most of us living in big cities, with better educations, get that masks are at least helpful in preventing catching/spreading the virus. I've "unfollowed" too many relatives in the last year that are rabid on this being a hoax and never taking a vaccine. Many that have far more education and money than I do.  But a whole lot of this country watches only FoxNews and increasingly the even farther right news channels that have downplayed the pandemic from day one. "Stupid" is going to kill a lot of people before this is done. 

I think this issue is that news outlets, not just FoxNews, made the pandemic political. The response by the country would have been completely different if media and our politicians were not constantly trying to find ways to divide us. I think that is why you have lots of educated people on the right side making the decisions that they are. 

• Like 1

It's been a difficult year, to say the least. I have family on both sides of the conversation.

It's really frustrating to see politicians close down private businesses and prohibit large gatherings, but then do nothing to stop  (and even encourage) protests all year, or attend large gatherings themselves (see California governor this past week) 
it's really frustrating to see politicians enforce quarantines, but then see their families on social media not abide by them (see NY governor's family)
It's really frustrating to see no mask mandates (see Tennessee), or no mask enforcement (see lower Broadway). 

Its tough to see kids learn virtual, but I am not a teacher of a school with no covid protocol.  

Just praying this vaccine is effective and available to all. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

It's been a difficult year, to say the least. I have family on both sides of the conversation.

It's really frustrating to see politicians close down private businesses and prohibit large gatherings, but then do nothing to stop  (and even encourage) protests all year, or attend large gatherings themselves (see California governor this past week) 
it's really frustrating to see politicians enforce quarantines, but then see their families on social media not abide by them (see NY governor's family)
It's really frustrating to see no mask mandates (see Tennessee), or no mask enforcement (see lower Broadway). 

Its tough to see kids learn virtual, but I am not a teacher of a school with no covid protocol.  

Just praying this vaccine is effective and available to all. 

I'm frustrated for the healthcare workers who are currently feeling forgotten, overworked and unappreciated.  My sibling, who works in the ICU, said it's a real slap in the face to see all of these people out and about living normally, hanging out with friends or vacationing as if there isn't a global pandemic going on while she has worked 24 hour shifts every other day for months.  The death rate is up 23% in the last week alone, they have converted non-ICU units into Covid units and numerous Nashville hospitals are on diversion.  Half of the doctors in one unit are out sick with Covid.  Not only will the hospitals soon be overwhelmed with the rising case numbers but they will also be facing a staffing crisis.

I know everyone is tired and wants this to be over, I get it.  Please take this seriously no matter what the media or politicians are saying, we have cancelled all travel and holiday plans for our own family, you can too.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ArchitectBarbie said:

I know everyone is tired and wants this to be over, I get it.  Please take this seriously no matter what the media or politicians are saying, we have cancelled all travel and holiday plans for our own family, you can too.

Agree. I had to cancel my Thanksgiving and Christmas travel plans. Staying put at home. 

When politicians are in a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality, it all collapses for some people.