Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

They called my uncle into the hospital yesterday to say goodbye to my 58 year old aunt (my mother’s little sister).  She’s been on a vent for a week and they had to resuscitate her 5 times yesterday.  They’re going to remove her from life support if my uncle agrees.  One of the last things she said before going on the ventilator is that she wished she would have been vaccinated. 

• Sad 22

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

They called my uncle into the hospital yesterday to say goodbye to my 58 year old aunt (my mother’s little sister).  She’s been on a vent for a week and they had to resuscitate her 5 times yesterday.  They’re going to remove her from life support if my uncle agrees.  One of the last things she said before going on the ventilator is that she wished she would have been vaccinated. 

I am so sorry to hear this.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, titanhog said:

Sorry , to hear this . My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 8:34 AM, titanhog said:

Sorry to hear this, T-Hog. I appreciate you and all your positive contributions to this board.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With 48 deaths from Covid-19, the state saw its worst death rate yesterday since last February. Active cases have risen 60% in the last two weeks., with 68430 currently infected.  The hospital rate has increased 50% in two weeks, with 3,030 being treated, near the all-time high from last winter. Low staffing at hospitals is also a major problem. 

Nashville has seen a 519% increase in the 7 day moving average case rate.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/archive/covid-19-update-hospitalizations-approach-all-time-high/article_48115868-0732-11ec-988f-778fc765f178.html

• Sad 4

Since the vaccine was rolled out in earnest earlier this year, I haven't visited the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Dashboard.  With the arrival of the Delta variant, I'm spending a little more time there.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

If you click on the U.S. in the left column and select Admin 1 at the bottom of that column, you will see the states. Tennessee has the seventh most number of cases of all the states.  That's disproportionately high on a per capita basis.  Much worse, and probably the worst per capita, is Louisiana.

COVID-2021-08-27-A.png.dbaa58a8dbba66a8915420439ee2c162.png

When you click on Tennessee, the graphs in the right column update for the state.  The number of cases per week are way up, nearing the peak of second surge.  However, the number of weekly deaths has risen nearly as much, which I find encouraging.  Most encouraging is the green graph of weekly vaccine doses administered.  The unvaccinated are responding to the reports of hospitalizations and deaths by getting vaccinated.

COVID-2021-08-27-B.thumb.png.3b6cea5dd18ea79517bbb86ca8d8d756.png

I have a friend who is a pediatrician in a group practice.  He said they are swamped and are putting in lots of extra hours.  So, lots of young people are getting this variant which has to be pushing up the number of cases in the graph above.  However, they have not had to admit anyone to a hospital yet.  He said "This thing is going to blow through here in a hurry."  That says to me that each of us should get vaccinated and we should not assume that the path of this variant will look like the first coronavirus.

• Thanks 4

Always knew the South would get a late Summer bump, same seasonal pattern as last year. North gets it later in Fall. I am surprised it has been as drastic as it has been, even though there are plenty left to be vaccinated, thought those that are vaccinated and those that have natural immunity would damper it more. At some point it will drop like a rock like Delta did in the UK and India, hopefully sooner than later.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DDIG said:

Always knew the South would get a late Summer bump, same seasonal pattern as last year. North gets it later in Fall. I am surprised it has been as drastic as it has been, even though there are plenty left to be vaccinated, thought those that are vaccinated and those that have natural immunity would damper it more. At some point it will drop like a rock like Delta did in the UK and India, hopefully sooner than later.

I believe cases are on the rise once again in the U.K.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Tennessee climbs to the top of the worst Coved-19 infection rate in the nation this week at 790 infections per 10,000 residents:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2021/09/02/covid-19-tennessee-top-worst-list/5690776001/

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 5.38.40 AM.png

I have heard some horror stories lately from unvaccinated clients. Hospitals desperately short on staff paying nurses loads of money for extra shifts.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 6:58 AM, markhollin said:

The infection map as of yesterday. This is simultaneously sad and infuriating.

I think this map could be misleading. You can be vaccinated and still be infected, and have just mild symptoms (and a quick recovery) because you were vaccinated... hospital capacity, ventilators, and death are more of a focus from me.

However, I admittedly think the infection hot spots correlate to unvaccinated areas too. 

• Like 2