Tornado Damage from March 3rd storm

markhollin

11 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

The owner of this thread is updating and has been doing so since early this am.

Glad to see everyone reporting in and my heart is breaking for for my hometown. Nashville is strong, and will rebound. For all who can assist, but can't necessarily help in person, please donate. I'll edit Mark's top post to include this link, as well. Keep checking in, UPers, as you get power back and get situated.

https://secure.cfmt.org/WebSales/pages/DonationInfo.aspx?epguid=72098276-2ba4-41b7-afac-636dc6bdcd2f&doninfo=1215~01f452b0-719d-4168-a723-0799feb97a6e&

• Like 3

Thanks for posting that gnash. In that map you can see lighting struck three times in 5 Points. Sure makes you think twice, maybe three times.

This is going to really have an impact on development in this area. Some may choose not to rebuild, but many I am sure will. My main concern other than the loss of life, injured and disruption of peoples lives are then the historic structures that are lost. 

This is not to lessen the impact of the many folks that will have to find new places to live as many of these places are either repaired or many may have to be leveled and rebuilt.

Hope everyone is OK!

It's heartbreaking seeing all this destruction in many of my favorite areas of town...but building loss is a distant second concern to human loss. I hope the death toll doesn't rise.

I managed to sleep through everything down in Rutherford Co. I knew there was a tornado watch, but since the weather folks weren't freaking out about it, I kind of took it for granted. Woke up to a text from my aunt asking for a report from all family members. I had no idea.

I hope all those that are facing partial or total loss of their homes or businesses are resilient and choose to rebuild. This is going to be a tough stretch of months/years. But I remember the 98 tornado, and I think that the city rebounded well from that.

• Like 1

I didn't even see a branch down in Melrose all the way down to Brentwood. 

We slept through the whole thing. When I woke up I had no idea why I had so many messages from friends asking if I was OK. And since I didn't have my CO tacts in, I got UK to fix my TV sound and read in the screen "100s evacuated in Nashville. And they were showing the auto parts store in Germantown. Since I had no context yet. I thought it might be a gas explosion. It took me several minutes to figure out what was going on. 

Im very glad everyone on here seems to be OK. 

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

We need a roll call.  All Nashville UPers who see this thread...please sound off.

No damage at Terrazzo.  Building management never needed to make an announcement.  Power never went out.  I'm working from the condo today and will stay off the roads except for voting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gnash_nelson said:

Here is the map you were asking for.

3769AFB1-CC1A-4BA1-90FA-EDB93ADECF78.jpeg

Courtesy of The Tennessean!  Green line is path from today's tornado. Purple line is from one in 1933. I think orange is the one that went over me in 1998.  The similarities between them is eerie. Edited: Yes, the red line is 1998. The Tennessean just corrected their caption.  https://www.tennessean.com/story/weather/2020/03/03/nashville-tornado-path-map-shows-familiar-east-west-direction/4937370002/

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I've heard that Putnam County was also hit very hard. Anyone heard from our friends there? @jmtunafish

TV weather channel says they think it was EF3!!

Yes, there are 14 confirmed dead so far in Putnam County.  The brunt of the devastation was between Baxter and Cookeville.  My house was in the direct path, but for some reason nothing happened.  Just some frightening moments huddled with my dogs in a small closet.

I am absolutely amazed that not a single construction crane in Nashville collapsed.

Here's a popular public pool between Baxter and Cookeville, before and after:

L’image contient peut-être : arbre, ciel, plein air et nature

L’image contient peut-être : ciel, nuage, plein air et nature

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, jmtunafish said:

Yes, there are 14 confirmed dead so far in Putnam County.  The brunt of the devastation was between Baxter and Cookeville.  My house was in the direct path, but for some reason nothing happened.  Just some frightening moments huddled with my dogs in a small closet.

I am absolutely amazed that not a single construction crane in Nashville collapsed.

Here's a popular public pool between Baxter and Cookeville, before and after:

L’image contient peut-être : arbre, ciel, plein air et nature

L’image contient peut-être : ciel, nuage, plein air et nature

Someone was looking after you.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Courtesy of The Tennessean!  Green line is path from today's tornado. Purple line is from one in 1933. I think orange is the one that went over me in 1998.  The similarities between them is eerie. Edited: Yes, the red line is 1998. The Tennessean just corrected their caption.  https://www.tennessean.com/story/weather/2020/03/03/nashville-tornado-path-map-shows-familiar-east-west-direction/4937370002/

I was working in the second to top floor of the B of A (now Philips) buildings in '98 when the tornado hit the building.  I looked out the window to check the weather and looked up in to the funnel of the tornado as it was passing over the building.  As I ran to the hallway for safety, I could smell the moist outside air as most of the windows on the other side of the building were blown out or damaged.

• Like 4

From what I can guess is that this storm started about a mile south of me and 5 miles west of JC Tune based on my experiance last night. I had a lot of heavy wind and hail prior to it hitting Nashville and that is when my power went out. 

My power was out for about 5 hours until I knew what happened in Nashville.

Anyone want to guesstimate the damage estimate just in Nashville. I would guess at least 1 billion maybe more as couple of the  large apartment buildings may have to come down and be rebuilt. There is no telling how many aircraft were destroyed at Tune but that can really run the numbers up.

We have not gotten a clear idea of the damage of what has happened in Donelson and Hermitage either.