Tornado Damage from March 3rd storm

markhollin

Glad DJ is good too. I had forgotten he lives over there. Thanks for the pix Craig. I may try and get over there tomorror if they let me in to help my friend that lives off of 13th and Holly. She will need help cleaning her yard up. She said power and gas will likely be out for days if not weeks.

• Like 1

I don't mean to be insensitive but what impact do you guys think this storm will have on development in both East Nashville/Germantown and Nashville as a whole? I remember after the flood happened, the growth in Nashville really started to pick up steam due to a number of factors. Will this storm scare people and developers away from Nashville? Or will it be yet another catalyst for more growth and attention.

May the people that lost their lives find peace

21 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I don't mean to be insensitive but what impact do you guys think this storm will have on development in both East Nashville/Germantown and Nashville as a whole? I remember after the flood happened, the growth in Nashville really started to pick up steam due to a number of factors. Will this storm scare people and developers away from Nashville? Or will it be yet another catalyst for more growth and attention.

May the people that lost their lives find peace

I say a catalyst, because for East Nashville in particular, things are marked as before and after the tornado in 1998. 

4 hours ago, archilove said:

Germantown, one of my favorite Nashville neighborhoods, took a big hit. I don't want to drive over there and get in the way, but would like to know about damage, especially on 5th, 6th, and 7th avenues between Madison and Monroe. How did places like Tempered Chocolate, Germantown Cafe, Cathedral of the Assumption. Monell's, Germantown Inn,  the houses at the corners of 6th and Monroe, the former Mad Platter building, and the houses at 1315 and 1317 5th Avenue fare?

A Facebook post from one of the owners of Monell’s (Michael King) indicates that their building did not suffer any damage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You guys have got to see this video that the Amazon crane operator shot last night.  He was stuck in the crane as the tornado hit (and probably crapped his pants!).  BTW...bad language.  (if someone knows how to post a facebook video...please feel free to do that with this one)

https://www.facebook.com/jason.nash.509/videos/1908544665957154/?eid=ARBJ1tH9LrQZxDE23cLybonfTZ4gMKtIL0VhyEi6rXDuUNGAThoWexMIVOclquZOuyo8hwrxFP4SdgtT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, titanhog said:

You guys have got to see this video that the Amazon crane operator shot last night.  He was stuck in the crane as the tornado hit (and probably crapped his pants!).  BTW...bad language.  (if someone knows how to post a facebook video...please feel free to do that with this one)

https://www.facebook.com/jason.nash.509/videos/1908544665957154/?eid=ARBJ1tH9LrQZxDE23cLybonfTZ4gMKtIL0VhyEi6rXDuUNGAThoWexMIVOclquZOuyo8hwrxFP4SdgtT

Im sorry, I had to laugh. It was sort of comical. Why would you be in a crane at 12:30 AM with a severe storm rolling in, when the cranes are supposed to be free swinging due to the wind.

I will have to say this guy is not too bright.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Im sorry, I had to laugh. It was sort of comical. Why would you be in a crane at 12:30 AM with a severe storm rolling in, when the cranes are supposed to be free swinging due to the wind.

I will have to say this guy is not too bright.

yeah....I couldn't believe he was in that crane!

47 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I saw some stupid article like two days before this storm hit about the love for Nashville fading away and the love for another city close by growing. I can say with 100% certainty now that this article was completely false, especially now after the storm I have seen nothing but love and support across the country and globe on the internet for Nashville. Even at my school in New York people are expressing their support. Nashville is strong

Valuable to know that someone is tracking the pulse of the city from afar and across the internet, and with 100% certainty.  Nashville is strong!

Glad to hear that you all are safe. My place is fortunately just south of the early path of the tornado, and we never lost power, water, or cell phone service. Just up the street at Centennial and Briley was (and is, as of last check) completely blockaded, and the semis are having to circle around onto I-40 to get to the industrial destinations surrounding The Nations. I drove to Germantown this morning to help a friend get to work and the damage was shocking. Also ended up pretty much boxed in with the street closures, took an hour to get out via Bordeaux and saw a lot of damage through North Nashville as well (during a slow crawl, suboptimally winging it based on my memory of the road layouts since my cell phone reception was really spotty). I hope they can clear a couple of the north-south streets so there are more ways to cross the tornado's path (I-65 and 155 were the only options this morning). It was definitely tough being short-handed at the hospital today with many unable to complete the commute in, and early on they were asking all hospital employees with a free moment to help out with tasks like delivering meals and transporting patients. Ideally, we can not only rebuild but also improve upon things going forward, like burying some of the power lines (longshot I know) and having better preparedness for how to disseminate information about road closures, direct traffic (some of the police were great at it ... others were worse than just treating the intersection as a three-way stop sign), etc.

• Like 4