Tornado Damage from March 3rd storm

markhollin

Mapping the toll of Tuesday's storms and tornadoes in Nashville.  Includes 5 maps the show the wake of the tornadoes. One is interactive showing each of the businesses damaged in East Nashville. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/in-depth/news/2020/03/03/nashville-tornadoes-mapping-storms-destruction/4937753002/

The storm's impact by the numbers:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2020/03/04/nashville-tornado-numbers-what-to-know/4945987002/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Im sorry, I had to laugh. It was sort of comical. Why would you be in a crane at 12:30 AM with a severe storm rolling in, when the cranes are supposed to be free swinging due to the wind.

I will have to say this guy is not too bright.

He might not have known how bad it was until it was too late. Or maybe he was getting pressure from management due to deadlines.

15 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I really hope those 24 people are found. Cookeville seemed to really get hammered by the storm. Also even though I only went there for swim meets it is still really crazy that DCA does not exist anymore.

On the evening news in Nashville, the local stations were showing the list of names.  It was at 54 last night and only 24 today, so progress is being made.

just a question since I am out of market.  Your late news that Monday night was there a lot of discussion on possible tornados overnight and how warned was this?  I understand it all spun up early morning in middle of the night  but were people put on notice that a possibility might exist for tornados?   I am talking more about tornado watches before most people went to sleep that night.  The night in Dallas last year when a F3 hit they were talking about all day when the conditions were sunny and getting more humid and I have to admit they accurately predicted tornados would be spunned up that evening.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

just a question since I am out of market.  Your late news that Monday night was there a lot of discussion on possible tornados overnight and how warned was this?  I understand it all spun up early morning in middle of the night  but were people put on notice that a possibility might exist for tornados?   I am talking more about tornado watches before most people went to sleep that night.  The night in Dallas last year when a F3 hit they were talking about all day when the conditions were sunny and getting more humid and I have to admit they accurately predicted tornados would be spunned up that evening.  

I received a special email from building management about the expected bad weather: listen for sirens, we'll make announcements if needed, check loose items on your balcony, etc.

NashSevereWx on Twitter was emphatic about what was coming.

Someone else can speak about the local news.

• Thanks 2

I don't think it was warned very much at all earlier in the evening. I went to bed around 10:30 and didn't expect anything. This WaPo article says the Tornado watch for Davidson was issued at 11:20 PM. 

“I’ll be honest with you, we were under a slight risk for severe storms, obviously severe weather wasn’t out of the question, but we did not anticipate a tornado of this magnitude in the middle of the night,” said Mark Rose, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Nashville, in an interview.

A 9:30ish Nashville Severe Weather tweet

Edited by GregH
additional info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

There was an expectation of severe weather, but nothing like what actually occurred. The tornado watch was issued at 11:20pm, and the storm was Severe Thunderstorm warned(NWS decided against extending the previous tornado warning as the cell moved into Nashville)until ~2 min before the tornado formed. 

I received a Periscope notification from one local tv channel earlier in the evening; however, it was mistakenly titled.  Last week or so there was a fire at an apartment complex in Hermitage, the Periscope notification was actually regarding severe storms and tornado watches, but was titled "Hermitage Apartment Fire" or something related to the notification a week earlier.  So...I swiped on by the live feed as it was local weather persons in front of a radar screen; I was thinking why am I receiving notifications about a fire that occurred a week earlier?  It happened again, and I ignored the broadcast a second time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

I woke at 1 AM because of something (a sense of danger?) and read their tweets.

Me too, although it was 1:15am.  I woke up to go to the bathroom which ticked me off at the time because I didn't really need to go.  Then when I got back in bed, my phone buzzed about the tornado warning.  I thought it had to be a mistake because the weather people were saying Monday night that the severe weather was going to be WEST of Nashville, not east.  Then I turned on the TV, and there was Danielle Breezy and a map showing that there really was a tornado, and it was headed right towards where I live.   Yesterday Channel 2 talked about how wrong they were, but at the time we went to bed Monday night, the conditions just weren't there for a tornado, nor were they expected to be.

Mother Nature really does have a way of putting us in our place.

• Thanks 1

Been checking in with some of my customers who were in the areas affected (West Nashville off Briley and Centennial, and Cookeville). They are all safe but have seen tremendous damage. One of the customers in Cookeville said he's never seen storm damage like this before. Many have friends and family who are now homeless. This storm was way bigger than predicted. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Me too, although it was 1:15am.  I woke up to go to the bathroom which ticked me off at the time because I didn't really need to go.  Then when I got back in bed, my phone buzzed about the tornado warning.  I thought it had to be a mistake because the weather people were saying Monday night that the severe weather was going to be WEST of Nashville, not east.  Then I turned on the TV, and there was Danielle Breezy and a map showing that there really was a tornado, and it was headed right towards where I live.   Yesterday Channel 2 talked about how wrong they were, but at the time we went to bed Monday night, the conditions just weren't there for a tornado, nor were they expected to be.

Mother Nature really does have a way of putting us in our place.

This is an inaccurate statement. We were in a slight risk of severe storms. The NWS even told us to expect them between 12 and 5 am. 

https://twitter.com/NashSevereWx/status/1234675661098213378?s=20

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Craiger said:

This is an inaccurate statement. We were in a slight risk of severe storms. The NWS even told us to expect them between 12 and 5 am. 

https://twitter.com/NashSevereWx/status/1234675661098213378?s=20

Sorry, I meant the risk of tornadoes, not just severe storms.  Davis Nolan was on the news yesterday and said as much, particularly referring to the Cookeville area.  He and Danielle Breezy were absolutely shocked because the risk of a tornado, especially farther east in the Cookeville area, was just not in their computer model.  He showed the bar graph thing from Monday night that showed we were under a very slight risk of severe storms, and no risk of tornadoes.  In fact, it was even less than a slight risk according to the above link.  I'd like to think that if we thought we were under a tornado risk, some of those who perished might've done things differently when they went to bed Monday night.  But maybe not.

Edited by jmtunafish

For the curious and those out of town, the storm system and the forecast evolved during the day on Monday.   It was known was that the conditions were there.     As I left for work Monday a.m., my wife said to me "you know they're saying there's a chance of hail and tornadoes tonight". 

Throughout the day on Monday, NashSevereWx tracked the system every step of the way.   I'm leaving out dozens of their update tweets during these hours, but this sampling gives you the sense of how the storm evolved during the day.    

Monday 10:35 a.m:

image.png.c554df7e3dba97cf884b799b19ec132a.png

Monday 2:02pm: 

image.png.0f9d8bccba3f984d0146f2ec355c65aa.png

Monday 4:22 pm:

image.png.fd2de093a75eb85c30fbdb20ae8d6d85.png

Monday 6:07pm:

image.png.70852807f440ea7c92d3ffe777989474.png

Monday 11:12 pm: 

image.png.b4d8a94be864f124998c2d3330407141.png

Monday 11:17pm:

image.png.5806fe6455e35c39620bf94cb3206406.png

Monday 11:19pm: 

image.png.aec36682b0c8173f48585124a7d96144.png

Tues. 12:35 am: 

image.png.be40c6fb8f6160592d7e88bdc17198c3.png

Tues. 12:41am: 

image.png.f96d1432a3442077d601a5c291e835a9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

Sorry, I meant the risk of tornadoes, not just severe storms.  Davis Nolan was on the news yesterday and said as much, particularly referring to the Cookeville area.  He and Danielle Breezy were absolutely shocked because the risk of a tornado, especially farther east in the Cookeville area, was just not in their computer model.  He showed the bar graph thing from Monday night that showed we were under a very slight risk of severe storms, and no risk of tornadoes.  In fact, it was even less than a slight risk according to the above link.  I'd like to think that if we thought we were under a tornado risk, some of those who perished might've done things differently when they went to bed Monday night.  But maybe not.

Yeah that's a good point. I think the Cookeville tornado could be counted as a bit of a miss by forecasters. It was just barely outside the area they gave a risk of tornado for. Nashville was in the 2% chance of tornado area. That seems low, but you have to remember there wasn't really a tornado outbreak either. most areas in middle TN didn't seen anything close to a tornado. 

• Like 1

The Daily Mail from the UK which has a US edition has a story with a lot of those before and after type photos of damaged buildings.  The damage is stunning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8072107/Tennessee-tornado-death-toll-rises-25-including-children.html

15 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

This Washington Post article details the timeline, and a bit of the science behind yesterday’s tornado: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/03/03/how-deadly-destructive-tornadoes-ravaged-nashville-tuesday/

This is interesting fact   Makes one want to get a weather alert radio. 

""Tennessee sees a higher percentage of its tornadoes at night than any other state in the nation.""

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The Daily Mail from the UK which has a US edition has a story with a lot of those before and after type photos of damaged buildings.  The damage is stunning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8072107/Tennessee-tornado-death-toll-rises-25-including-children.html

This is interesting fact   Makes one want to get a weather alert radio. 

""Tennessee sees a higher percentage of its tornadoes at night than any other state in the nation.""

So many historic structures demolished.  Some of those gone are well over 100 years old. 

• Sad 1