Tornado Damage from March 3rd storm

markhollin

Tune Airport suffers $93 million in damages which includes the terminal, 17 hangars, the airfield, pavement, navigational aids, signage, lighting, fencing and utilities.

This estimate does not include damage to more than 90 destroyed aircraft and other personal property such as vehicles. No injuries were reported.

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/transportation/aviation/article/21120008/tune-airport-suffers-93m-in-damages

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 3.03.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 5.34.24 AM.png

• Sad 6

Basically half of hermitage is destroyed says my partner who lives there. The kroger and apartments next to it (where they temporarily live with their friends/roommates) are destroyed and a car flew through the air into someone's apartment balcony. Everyone I know in hermitage is ok, but of course I don't know everyone in hermitage. There could still be people there injured or in need of assistance.  Hopefully volunteers arrive, and I changed my spring break plans to return to Nashville to help out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm a couple of miles north of 5 Points and my neighborhood was unscathed.

I'm fairly certain that just as the 1998 tornado accelerated redevelopment and gentrification in East Nashville, this 2020 tornado will do the same to North Nashville. Hearing stories of vultures developers already out in the neighborhoods trying buy homes.

2 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Basically half of hermitage is destroyed says my partner who lives there. The kroger and apartments next to it (where they temporarily live with their friends/roommates) are destroyed and a car flew through the air into someone's apartment balcony. Everyone I know in hermitage is ok, but of course I don't know everyone in hermitage. There could still be people there injured or in need of assistance.  Hopefully volunteers arrive, and I changed my spring break plans to return to Nashville to help out.

TN is truly the Volunteer State. How generous to share yourself in that spirit. 

Edited by dxfret

6 hours ago, Craiger said:

Yeah that's a good point. I think the Cookeville tornado could be counted as a bit of a miss by forecasters. It was just barely outside the area they gave a risk of tornado for. Nashville was in the 2% chance of tornado area. That seems low, but you have to remember there wasn't really a tornado outbreak either. most areas in middle TN didn't seen anything close to a tornado. 

And to be fair, there really was just one tornado.  But it went on for over 50 miles, ending just shy of Gordonsville in Smith County.  I know that's not a record, but it's gotta be up there.  The Cookeville tornado was an F-4 and was the first destructive tornado to hit Cookeville since 1974.

I drank beer and watched the Preds game on Monday night with no idea that a storm was coming.  I knew it was going to rain but tornadoes were not on my mind at all.  I went to bed at around 11pm and was awoken at 3AM because my phone was blowing up with people asking if we were okay.  I had no idea what was going on, got up, looked outside and just saw rain, responded to the texts and then went back to bed.

Maybe I'm just desensitized to every 'code red', thunderstorm warning, flash flood warning and tornado siren but none of them phase me anymore.  Maybe that will change now but we had little to no warning.  And just because some twitter handle posted stuff about it, that doesn't make up for the fact that none of the major local news outlets made a big deal out of what could happen.

Just my experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Also even though I only went there for swim meets it is still really crazy that DCA does not exist anymore.

My mom works at DCA. I still remember going to the school in 2010 to move as much as we could to the 2nd floor before the school flooded. She went yesterday to get as much as she could from her office. It will be interesting to see where they will have classes. I know for the flood the school was scattered around nearby churches.

Side note: it probably wasn't DCA for swim meets. They don't have a pool or swim team.

• Like 2

Was listening to the Paul Finebaum show a couple days ago and he interviewed the football coach of DCA, Paul Wade. He said the various grades will continue the year at various churches in the area. No plan yet for next academic year. 

Incidentally, Paul Finebaum's program dedicated most of the past two days to Nashville and Cookeville. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

So that's about $113 million and counting at just John C Tune and TSU alone... absolutely insane.