Tornado Damage from March 3rd storm

markhollin

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

That reporter spent his time in and was specifically referring to Cookeville, not Nashville.  But he might've had the same responses in Nashville.

• Like 2

The Washington Post chimes in on the lack of warning for this deadly tornado. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/03/06/tennessee-tornado-tragedy-was-tied-lack-warning-awareness-readiness/?fbclid=IwAR1k8mSRhVw0Tc9Ucgiy_X3kZsdr47ywK68x1K7nRnSw1V77AYLgNECBzXM&itid=ap_matthewcappucci

A couple of interesting excerpts:

A probable tornadic debris signature was also visible at 12:30 a.m. about a mile west of the John C. Tune Airport. Data indicates debris was likely being lofted into the air at the time. A tornado warning had not been issued.  The tornado warning wasn’t issued until 12:35 a.m., at which point the tornado was in the process of heavily damaging the John C. Tune Airport. 

At 1:37 a.m., a new tornado — with 75 mph winds — touched down east-southeast of Gordonsville, about 50 miles east of Nashville. Over the next 5 minutes, it danced along a 5.88-mile track. It was never under a warning.

The rotation in the storm began strengthening once again; at 1:48 a.m., the National Weather Service issued a tornado warning for Cookeville, stating “a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located over Baxter, or near Cookeville.”

Less than a minute later, the tornado touched down. A little under 3 minutes after that, regions along Route 70N near the Ashcroft Subdivision were slammed by the tornado, with debris visible on radar. Areas just west of Cookeville were ravaged between 1:54 a.m. and 1:57 a.m.

For some, the Nashville tornado did legitimately come without warning — and was in the process of demolishing an airport before any warning was issued. Residents downtown were alerted only minutes before it struck.

Another tornado touched down and managed to caused damage for nearly 6 miles, with no warning whatsoever.

And when the tornado first touched down west of Cookeville, there were only 60 seconds of warning in the middle of the night; farther downwind, folks had more lead time. Yet 18 fatalities resulted. Why?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Hopefully enough time has passed since the tornado to ask this question without it being perceived as insensitive in any way... but do we know yet if any of the many construction sites around town were affected at all?

Yes, of course, but I'm only aware of a warehouse project in Mt. Juliet that was flattened. There may be others I'm not aware of

I know there are several projects that sustained some minor to serious damage. I took a walk around Bicentennial Mall and you can see damage to some projects in Germantown. Also minor damage to the new Tennessee State Archives (under construction) as well as the State Museum (eaves and windows) 

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 9:23 PM, LA_TN said:

The Cookeville tornado was an EF-4 that was 8.21 miles long, 500 yards in width, and had a top wind speed of 175 mph. And, this could have been devastatingly worse; notice where the tornado stopped!! 

IMG_20200307_211031.thumb.jpg.d0b9bf9cf7029f79554e5ad5b583731c.jpg

As for the Washington Post, of course it's easy to be an armchair quarterback, especially after the game. As I had stated in a previous post, the conditions to form a tornado were not present through the early evening hours, otherwise the National Weather Service would have issued a tornado watch at 6pm instead of 11:20 pm

Thank you for posting this.  For those who aren't familiar with Cookeville, if the tornado had continued on its above path just 3 more blocks, it would've hit the hospital and part of Tennessee Tech University head on.   Here's the same image but with the times and wind speeds.  It was a fast-moving tornado that, fortunately, fizzled out before hitting TTU and the hospital.  I shudder to think how many additional deaths there would've been had it hit the hospital and the dorms.

L’image contient peut-être : texte

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Missing Tailor Nashville. I had reservations Saturday night and was cancelled due to their lack of power. It is a pre-pay place like Catbird so they were offering refunds or ability to move reservation to another date.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/north-nashville-residents-urged-not-to-sell-homes

Thoughts on this campaign to urge residents not to sell in North Nashville? My thoughts are:

1) I condemn any predatory developer practices; but

2) If people want to cash out and start over elsewhere after a disaster, who is to tell them they can't do that? Regardless, the community will never be the same sadly.

• Like 1

Because it’s incredibly spineless and insensitive to take advantage of a section of the city where minorities are the majority and are already either being priced out by rent and/or property taxes, or being boxed in by these bulls**t newer development and tower over their property. Also, it only exasperates the continued disadvantage that a lot of these folks were already dealing with.

I’m all for new development and redevelopment, but using a natural disaster and it’s already lasting stressful and tense situations to try and force the hand of some is just completely disgusting. Like, those are the folks that need to catch COVID-19 and not recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

Because it’s incredibly spineless and insensitive to take advantage of a section of the city where minorities are the majority and are already either being priced out by rent and/or property taxes, or being boxed in by these bulls**t newer development and tower over their property. Also, it only exasperates the continued disadvantage that a lot of these folks were already dealing with.

I’m all for new development and redevelopment, but using a natural disaster and it’s already lasting stressful and tense situations to try and force the hand of some is just completely disgusting. Like, those are the folks that need to catch COVID-19 and not recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree with any of that. We should do what we can to stop aggressive vultures.

I guess my point is if someone in the area on their own determines after weighing their options their best path forward is selling and going somewhere else, they shouldn't be shamed for it.

• Like 1

Sunday, I went to Germantown, my favorite Nashville neighborhood to see how bad it was and am glad to report that things weren't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. There was major damage to two large apartment buildings and one will have to come down, but other than some blownout windows, some ripped up roofing, and maybe some internal water damage most of the old stuff seemed to be intact. The main loss when it comes to old buildings was a badly damaged commercial structure on the south side of Germantown. The windows were blown out of the Germantown Cafe but the structure looked good. Some windows were out of the Church of the Assumption and the steeple looked a little lopsided, but scaffolding was already up and the church was being worked on. The old Mad Platter building (now called Mother's Ruin) was open for business and packed with customers. Most debris had been collected and stacked by the curbs for pickup. I think Germantown can be restored to its former self in a short time, except for the large apartments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, archilove said:

Sunday, I went to Germantown, my favorite Nashville neighborhood to see how bad it was and am glad to report that things weren't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. There was major damage to two large apartment buildings and one will have to come down, but other than some blownout windows, some ripped up roofing, and maybe some internal water damage most of the old stuff seemed to be intact. The main loss when it comes to old buildings was a badly damaged commercial structure on the south side of Germantown. The windows were blown out of the Germantown Cafe but the structure looked good. Some windows were out of the Church of the Assumption and the steeple looked a little lopsided, but scaffolding was already up and the church was being worked on. The old Mad Platter building (now called Mother's Ruin) was open for business and packed with customers. Most debris had been collected and stacked by the curbs for pickup. I think Germantown can be restored to its former self in a short time, except for the large apartments.

Germantown Café is in question as there is a lot of roof damage and damage to the 2nd floor. The walls from my understanding on the 2nd floor have shifted, so there are issues with that building.

Germantown Vista should be rebuild to the 2010 standards from my understanding at this point in time. Germantown Place will have to come down. There was also heavy damage to IMT Germantown on the top floor and roof, but that should be able to be repaired.

In East Nashville Amplify on Main took a heavy hit and I will rely on Bos2Nash to give his opinion on what he thinks is the structural integrity of that building. I do know there is another apartment community in Hermitage that will be coming down as well. It is owned by Elmington Cap. Group.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2