"Hey! Where'd you come from?"

One point even though I lived outside of Charlotte all my relatives with a few exceptions were in the Charlotte area.  So I came back every year usually for weeks in the summer and went uptown because my aunts, my grandmother worked uptown.   My aunt used to save the business articles from MS Van Hecke from the Charlotte Observer of new buildings or new announcements for me and I will read them when I came to town.   So born here, moved away and got back as soon as I could and won't leave.  Ever.  within 50 miles of Trade and Tryon and no further up north than Mooresville LOL. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CLT2014 said:

Born and raised in Southern California, moved here with Bank of America in 2012 as they closed most of the ex-Countrywide facilities in the San Fernando Valley and Ventura County. No longer with BofA (significantly more opportunities to jump banks here), but still here in the Queen City and love it!

Next time you go out west  I will take a Double Double animal style, extra crispy fries and shake. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

Don’t limit the cut-off to 50!  Those parents I mentioned?  The ones that drove my stuff down here in 1994?  They sold their house in NY and retired to Ballantyne in Sept 2018.  They love it here.  And my friend from PA’s parents.... also moved here after a decade stint in FL.  It’s like watching mercury coalesce. 

And another friend who’s from Ft Lauderdale and has lived here since the mid-90’s after graduating from Elon has parents that bought a house in Oakhurst and moved up from FLL a couple years ago.  And brought their eldest grandson with them. 

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 1

I can't tell you how my parents have relocated to this area to be near their adult kids and grandkids.  a funny story I knew a divorced set of parents from CT that their daughters lived here and one bought first in Sun City Carolina Lakes and the other elsewhere as he said that community was not big enough for the both of them LOL!  

I read somewhere can't find it now the fastest growing age groups in Charlotteregion  are the 20 somethings and the over 65 crowd.   Honestly with great medical care we have here, great connectivity with our airport and moderate cost of living and mild 4 seasons I see why.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I can't tell you how my parents have relocated to this area to be near their adult kids and grandkids.  a funny story I knew a divorced set of parents from CT that their daughters lived here and one bought first in Sun City Carolina Lakes and the other elsewhere as he said that community was not big enough for the both of them LOL!  

I read somewhere can't find it now the fastest growing age groups in Charlotteregion  are the 20 somethings and the over 65 crowd.   Honestly with great medical care we have here, great connectivity with our airport and moderate cost of living and mild 4 seasons I see why.  

When my family moved to Rock Hill all four of my seventy-something grandparents moved down from DC.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Grew up in  Northern Central PA, hated the cold.  My roommate in college, his best friend was actually a starting  offensive lineman for the Panthers  in their first NFC championship run.  When he would visit my roommate (and play beer pong with us) he always commented on how nice Charlotte was.  Then my roommate went to his house for the NFC championship weekend and came back raving about the city.   So I started researching cities and Charlotte looked pretty great.   I was from a very rural area in PA so I wasn't ready to go from farm country to giant city but Charlotte size was just right.  After visiting Jacksonville and Atlanta, I immediately crossed them off my list.   Got in touch with an older friend I used to know that lived here working for USAir and they invited us down.  Instantly fell in love. 

Got a consulting gig right out of college and been here ever since (1998).  A year later, my other roommate from college moved here too.  I have multiple high school classmates that live here too (tiny school....90 kids per grade) which is pretty crazy.  At one time, there were 5 kids from my graduating HS class in CLT.  

My daughter is heading into HS next year so I give CLT at least another 6 years before I move closer to some mountains (maybe something drastic like Denver or  maybe just Asheville).  

I would suggest the NC mountains so you can still drive to the ocean within 6 hours.  Our mountains have a town for everybody artsy, backwoodsy, remote, larger, ski towns, high elevations, low elevations, gated etc. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I would suggest the NC mountains so you can still drive to the ocean within 6 hours.  Our mountains have a town for everybody artsy, backwoodsy, remote, larger, ski towns, high elevations, low elevations, gated etc. 

Yeah I love the mountains here.  Will see where the career goes for both of us as my GF has a much higher earning potential so it may be a case of chasing some money for 10 years in  a larger city before looking toward retirement (although looking at the markets...that aint happening anytime soon).   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SentioVenia said:

Born in Lancaster, PA.

Moved to Winston-Salem in 1973 when my dad got a job transfer.

Went to Boston briefly for college.

Moved to Charlotte on  August 14, 1988 – two days after the infamous Coliseum scoreboard collapse – to attend UNCC.  

Never left.

It nearly took out Billy Graham as it was just day after I think he dedicated the new Coliseum.  He even joked about it. 

• Haha 2