"Hey! Where'd you come from?"

Born in West Michigan near the lake. My family left Michigan during the '08 recession, landing in Virginia near Blacksburg/VT.  When choosing colleges I picked Chapel Hill over UVA and VT - I guess I wanted another fresh start and UNC's campus is just perfect in April.

Fast forward 4 years, and with a good job offer in Uptown and a sibling now living in the area, it made perfect sense to come here to start out. Over the past several years I have called Charlotte home, I've grown to love this place and see it as one that I could live in for a very long time. I'm not ready to truly settle down yet, but Charlotte is absolutely on a very tiny short-list of places I want to spend most of my career. I've both brought many friends (including my roommate) with me and met many new friends so far.

My next goal is to get my other sibling and my parents to move down here, with my local sibling and I having varying degrees of success with those two goals. I also will be in the market for a house in the near future if I don't decide on grad school first. We'll see what the future brings, but I expect Charlotte to be at least some degree of home for a long time to come. 

Edited by DH17
  • Like 4

I’m also from upstate PA. My dad got laid off in the 80’s and came down here to work in a machine shop, actually lived in the Comfort Inn in front of Carowinds for about a year while we were trying to sell the house up there and figuring out what to do. We all moved down and settled here just in time for Hugo, been living in the same neighborhood ever since. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Born in Pittsburgh (proper).  Dad moved here in 1989, and i spent the summer here, pre-Hugo and a lot of development.  Got to know the city and area pretty well.  Spent a lot of time driving back and forth until I moved here in 2000.  I really enjoy living here b/c of how close it is to the ocean and mountains.  I don't miss the winters in PA, but miss fall and all of the colors.  I know, I need to head to the NC mountains in the fall, but it just doesn't seem as vibrant as up north.  I do NOT like spring here as I get older with the pollen and allergies.

In the 20 years that I have lived here, there has been a tremendous amount of growth.  It is exciting to see so much new, as opposed to where I am from, which can be quite depressing after all these years.  I have met people from all over that have moved to Charlotte for the opportunities, and it is great!  Plus the brewery scene is much more vibrant than in the 'Burgh.

• Like 4