The Coronavirus thread

On 3/24/2020 at 4:02 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Woohoo, financial institutions are excepted. So I continue to get to be the only one in our building. Fun stuff.

We were told to leave Ballantyne last Tuesday.  And from what we are hearing (nothing official at all), but I'm getting the impression that it may be a while before we can go back to being in the same place at the same time.  It really stinks for those that have to be in a branch, or in the office.  

• Like 3

I can't see feds/ Trump being the arbitrar in distribution of vents and other gear and tests. Most governors are fed up.

I wonder if all the states could get together and form an allocation board staffed with epidemiology experts.

When will they realize the WH simply cannot manage a crisis?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I can't see feds/ Trump being the arbitrar in distribution of vents and other gear and tests. Most governors are fed up.

I wonder if all the states could get together and form an allocation board staffed with epidemiology experts.

When will they realize the WH simply cannot manage a crisis?

My company has now figured out how to make face shields out of materials we have in stock. We are making 5,000 of them to start. Hopefully I'll have a donation page up in the next few days.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, davidclt said:

Data as of 1:43 p.m. today, the U.S. crossed the 20,000 confirmed cases threshold and surpassed Germany for confirmed cases. At 22,177, we're about 3,200 cases behind #3, Spain (and gaining quickly). I wonder how long until we pass Italy in #2 and in true form become #1 worldwide, passing China in the true spirit of American Exceptionalism?

I say this with no happiness. As of today, we're #1 - with no signs of slowing down: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/health/usa-coronavirus-cases.html

Even if China is holding back reporting new infections, we as a country have failed to contain this virus and I don't think this is going to end well.

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

image.png

Edited by davidclt
  • Sad 2

NC State Park closure list expanded to most popular hiking spots: https://www.ncparks.gov/wednesday-march-25-update-nc-state-parks-status-during-covid-19-pandemic

Park closures

Due to declared state of emergency in various counties, beach closures and continued crowding that does not adhere to social distancing guidelines, the following parks are closed:

• Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park (Eagle Rock and Rumbling Bald accesses are open)
  • Crowders Mountain State Park
  • Fort Fisher State Recreation Area
  • Fort Macon State Park
  • Gorges State Park
  • Hanging Rock State Park
  • Jockey's Ridge State Park (open to residents of Dare County only)
  • Lake James State Park
  • Lake Waccamaw State Park
  • Morrow Mountain State Park
  • Mount Mitchell State Park
  • Pilot Mountain State Park
  • Raven Rock State Park
  • South Mountains State Park
  • Stone Mountain State Park

4 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

45% of tests yesterday were positive (7,377/16,272) 

It is not my intent to minimize risk (there is a ton of it) but... 

since only very symptomatic people are being tested, this stat does not imply that 45% of New York has the bug. It does tell us that 65% of people in New York who think they have Corona (to the point where they need to be tested) actually do not — hypochondriacs please stay home unless you are having difficulty breathing. 

As one ER doc in Queens said yesterday (paraphrasing): I am discharging most of the people I see. Unfortunately, if they did not have Corona before waiting in the ER for 10 hours, they almost certainly do after waiting.

#NotanExpert

I live in Greenville. Thank you governor and attorney general. :) I wonder if other cities in SC that have already enacted a stay at home order will have to get rid of it now.

I don’t think the social distancing is working anyways:  https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-27-20-intl-hnk/h_eb15b53d642a11815b9afff5d1863b37

“The number of people who died of coronavirus in Italy in the past day has risen by 969, the biggest daily jump since the crisis began.”

Edited by gman430
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, davidclt said:

A bold double-down by McMaster on denial. Considering that SC already has a much higher per capita infection rate than NC, and they are relaxing social-distancing restrictions, perhaps its time to #ClosetheBorder

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I live in Greenville. Thank you governor and attorney general. :) I wonder if other cities in SC that have already enacted a stay at home order will have to get rid of it now.

I don’t think the social distancing is working anyways:  https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-27-20-intl-hnk/h_eb15b53d642a11815b9afff5d1863b37

“The number of people who died of coronavirus in Italy in the past day has risen by 969, the biggest daily jump since the crisis began.”

I think day by day is tough.  What is it they're saying, the # of new infections today is correlated to what was in effect 7-14 days ago.  The number of deaths, at least to what I've read so not pretending any of us are experts, says that typically at days 21-28 either improving or worsening symptoms occur eventually resulting in recovery or death.  If that still holds true the 969 should reflect on 3-4 weeks ago the policies that were in place.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

28 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I think day by day is tough.  What is it they're saying, the # of new infections today is correlated to what was in effect 7-14 days ago.  The number of deaths, at least to what I've read so not pretending any of us are experts, says that typically at days 21-28 either improving or worsening symptoms occur eventually resulting in recovery or death.  If that still holds true the 969 should reflect on 3-4 weeks ago the policies that were in place.

Don't bother with him. It's all about him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Don't bother with him. It's all about him.

I just don’t like having my rights fringed upon. I went to Lowe’s earlier and it was packed with people so there definitely isn’t any social distancing going on anyways. 

If you think we should have a total lockdown then that’s perfectly fine. I just have a different opinion when it comes to that.

Edited by gman430
  • Sad 3