The Coronavirus thread

I am imagining the wild life of a hospital resident M. D. Just out of Med School in the last year and struggling to keep her/his feet under them and now people shouting for them to "INTUBATE!", WHAT IS THE NEXT OPTION?" and they are asking if the superintendent is around. WE HAVE NO TIME! YOU ARE THE DOCTOR NOW! Should I use a face mask? MAKE ONE! Nurse, um, uh, what would you do?

Once they survive this (if they do) they will have a learning experience that will be unmatched.

If I am unlucky to go to the hospital I will not worry about the resident M. D. They ARE the doctor now.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:06 PM, gman430 said:

I live in Greenville. Thank you governor and attorney general. :) I wonder if other cities in SC that have already enacted a stay at home order will have to get rid of it now.

I don’t think the social distancing is working anyways:  https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-27-20-intl-hnk/h_eb15b53d642a11815b9afff5d1863b37

“The number of people who died of coronavirus in Italy in the past day has risen by 969, the biggest daily jump since the crisis began.”

The number of cases would be much higher if social distancing wasn’t encouraged.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Causing a large number of people to panic-leave NY state heading mostly south. Thus spreading the so-called epicenter out even more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Spanish Flu Memories

My father had an older brother who had the same name as I. Both first sons in our generation. He was as unfamiliar with the world as any boy his age at that time. He joined the Army at 16 and went to France. Recruitment age requirements were fluid at that time. His father was livid when he discovered what happened, yet what's done is done. While in action in France he became sick. He does not know what the sickness was. It is very likely it was the Spanish flu.* He was delirious from fever for an unknown amount of time. One memory, or perhaps a fever dream, he could not say, was that he was carried on a litter. The litter bearers crossed over the crest of a hill and a field hospital appeared in the near distance. The hospital was a large tent with a red cross on the top surface of the waxed cloth and there were horses and mules surrounding the scene. He said, perhaps to himself, "I am going to a medieval fair!" It was a scene he recalled or created in his mind from his school reading. The known truth is that he was for certain ill and separated from his unit and carried to another location.

His unit was in action while he was gone and at their next report he was counted as missing. A letter came to my grandparents with a gold star to put in their window. "Missing" in those times meant that there was nothing left of the corpse to identify. My father was 12 or 13 at the time and recalls an automobile (!) coming to the house and two men with heavy coats coming to the door to deliver the message and "Sorry for your loss". It was so quiet for a week or more in the house. Visitors with food and flowers. Then a letter. A letter from the "missing" son dated showing that he was alive and not missing. According to my father my grandfather never forgave his prodigal son for "intentionally" inflicting this pain on his mother and the family. My uncle told me this story twice when I was young, the last time when I was a teen and his version was identical each time. Same with my father's version. 

*Spanish flu, which is also the name used in Spain for this outbreak, is because the combatant nations in WWI were aware of this disease but censored all reports to maintain morale. In Spain, as a neutral nation, they reported to the government and population about the disease and effects, and other nations used this opportunity to assign origin where there was none.

All of us will have tales to tell about our experience of the pandemic of our lifetime. My lesson from this memory I relate above is that one must keep the tale true to the character of the teller. No villains, only the natural emotional reaction of the persons themselves, as seen and experienced by the teller. We may pass on these stories to those younger than ourselves or perhaps those we tell may do so, but they must be faithful to the time and experience. Then a few of those stories will live for more than a century, as that of my uncle and father. Their experiences became a gift.

• Like 4

On 3/27/2020 at 2:42 PM, gman430 said:

I just don’t like having my rights fringed upon. I went to Lowe’s earlier and it was packed with people so there definitely isn’t any social distancing going on anyways. 

If you think we should have a total lockdown then that’s perfectly fine. I just have a different opinion when it comes to that.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 1:06 PM, gman430 said:

I live in Greenville. Thank you governor and attorney general. :) I wonder if other cities in SC that have already enacted a stay at home order will have to get rid of it now.

I don’t think the social distancing is working anyways:  https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-27-20-intl-hnk/h_eb15b53d642a11815b9afff5d1863b37

“The number of people who died of coronavirus in Italy in the past day has risen by 969, the biggest daily jump since the crisis began.”

• Like 2

I was just looking at the on-line Observer. There is a photo of a couple leaving a Food Lion.  The man carrying 3 packages of 12 count toilet paper and it looks like 2 more packs in the cart his wife is pushing. Do they need 60 rolls?  As they are smiles.  This is an example of greed and selfishness of people.  I could understand if they were getting them for family and friends. You don't know this from the photo. Why isn't the store limiting the amount people are buying?  It just pissed me off to see this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, nashbill said:

I was just looking at the on-line Observer. There is a photo of a couple leaving a Food Lion.  The man carrying 3 packages of 12 count toilet paper and it looks like 2 more packs in the cart his wife is pushing. Do they need 60 rolls?  As they are smiles.  This is an example of greed and selfishness of people.  I could understand if they were getting them for family and friends. You don't know this from the photo. Why isn't the store limiting the amount people are buying?  It just pissed me off to see this.

I spoke with multiple cashiers from different stores and they all told me they will not be accepting returns on these products. All those people thinking they will be able to return their products are mistaken.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 3:38 PM, kermit said:

Two different worlds in Charlotte at the moment.

My family and I are holed up at home for who knows how long, feeling like the world is coming to an end. Meanwhile, every 20 year old in Mecklenburg county is pounding beers  at Charlotte Beer Garden,  Wooden Robot and even Unknown. A whole other class of people are smushed shoulder to shoulder waiting for chicken at Prices. [I am neither scolding nor changing my behavior, I am just observing from my bike].

So St. Patrick's day was two weeks ago...

A map of diagnosed infection rates normalized for population using yesterdays Johns Hopkins data set. Greater NYC (Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester and Rockland counties are all among the hardest hit) is certainly a hot spot, with New England not far behind.

Other emerging hotspots that catch my eye from the map:

• Detroit
  • Chicago
  • Nashville
  • All of Louisiana
  • All of Mississippi
  • Birmingham
  • South Florida
  • the Yellowstone area (ID, WY, MT) (resort, skiing and hobby ranch territory)
  • Oil country in North Dakota
  • Ski country in Colorado and Utah
  • Arkansas
  • South Carolina isn't doing great, but their hotspots in Kershaw and the low country don't appear to be spreading.

At a glance things seem "OK" in California, Phoenix, Texas, Nebraska, Minnesota and Wisconsin, Kentucky, and VA.

Ohio, which I believe was the first state to lock down, is doing very well. On a comparative basis NC (we did lock down early) is also doing well.

The South Georgia cluster is MUCH larger than I had thought. Nobody is certain, but it is speculated that the cluster got its start at a funeral in early March.

The hotspots don't have much in common. They include big places and small, rich (ski country) and poor (Mississippi). Hot (LA, MS, FL) and cold (Detroit and NYC).

Disclaimers:

• These numbers are going to be heavily influenced by the availability of testing. It sounds like WA and LA have the highest test rates per capita while ours remain low.
  • As with all maps of this style, the choropleth classification scheme is arbitrary (e.g. there is no real significance to the 21 per 100,000 or less figure -- so shifting the categorization scheme will result in slightly different patterns)
  • #NotanExpert

Map - COVID-19 - County - 3-28-20 - PerCap.jpg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Some residents at Mecklenburg Parks are going to end up getting all the green space shut down for those who manage to just go for a stroll and not touch stuff. Residents are playing pickup basketball, using exercise equipment, playing  football in a group of 10+, touching playground equipment marked as closed, et.... 

"Mecklenburg County Health Director Gibbie Harris slammed the lack of social distancing in Charlotte’s parks this weekend, as county officials announced the first local death from COVID-19 likely arose from “community spread” of the disease.

Greater restrictions may be needed to enforce distance rules in outdoor spaces, Harris said Sunday during a news conference. "

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2020/03/29/charlotte-residents-push-back-against-stay-at-home-order-guidelines

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241602261.html

Edited by CLT2014
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

The hardest hit areas of Italy are now recovering. The lockdown measures are making a difference. I expect we will see reductions soon in the USA.

It seems the lockdown measures are starting to show in the figures. Lombardy reported 1,592 new cases, compared to 2,117 new cases yesterday and 2,409 on Friday

Unfortunately Lombardy has been on a lockdown for over 3 weeks now. We might be waiting a while before we see new cases reduce significantly.

• Like 1