The Coronavirus thread

2 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

Sure. But how many years, decades, or generations will it take to heal is still up in the air. Took a decade for the last recession. This looks to be much worse, so will likely take much longer.

Can't stress this enough.  The Nikkei peaked over 30 years ago on a corporate credit bubble combined with insane stock market valuations and a real estate boom than made tulip mania seem quaint, and today it stands at less than 50% of it's all-time high.  BOJ ran out of bullets and, regardless of what they've done, a combination of automation, an aging population, and the end of monetary policy have conspired to make it impossible for them to reflate in any way shape or form.  

One can, in good faith, make a credible argument that we are not Japan (immigration policies, cultural attitudes, and corporate values are or were very different), but how we are very similar is that we have a debt bomb wrapped inside a stock market bubble wrapped inside a a real estate bubble.  Sound familiar?

It used to be called The Lost Generation.  Now it's Lost Generations, and though I think there are many favorable things about the American economy, emerging markets have done next to nothing for a decade, and we're the Unicorn in the G8; this too shall pass, but the world ten years will look very very different, and it's not impossible that we won't wake up three years from now to a stock market still below its all time high.

/Rant

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
proofreading so hard

24 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Looks like two straight days of declining new cases in the U.S.

Yesterday was 20,900, the day before yesterday was 19,400. Where are you getting these numbers from?

Also,

JUST IN: The Pentagon has ordered military bases and combatant commands to withhold coronavirus case numbers, citing operational security concerns as cases have continued to rise. "We will not report the aggregate number of individual service member cases at individual unit, base or Combatant Commands."

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Yesterday was 20,900, the day before yesterday was 19,400. Where are you getting these numbers from?

Also,

JUST IN: The Pentagon has ordered military bases and combatant commands to withhold coronavirus case numbers, citing operational security concerns as cases have continued to rise. "We will not report the aggregate number of individual service member cases at individual unit, base or Combatant Commands."

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/usa

Is there an official source for coronavirus stats?  I've seen all sorts of different numbers thrown around.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nicholas said:

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/usa

Is there an official source for coronavirus stats?  I've seen all sorts of different numbers thrown around.

This is where I get mine. Your site is cool though!

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Nice, haven't seen that one before.  Strange the numbers are different, the site I linked has more confirmed cases both worldwide and in the U.S., but shows decreasing new cases in the U.S.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:
It is so easy in life to be negative so very easy.  It is harder to be positive in tough times.  However that is how I choose to live and in times like this even more so. 

But what do I know,  but NY Times published this just read the headline

and the famed Mayo Clinic says  this

and John Hopkins says this 

even that Harvard University  agrees 

and of course the Bible has a lot to say about it.
Phil. 4:8-9,  Prov. 3:5 Rom 5:1-2 Psalm 91 and on and on and on! 

So scoff, make fun, come up with even negative news but I just don't see how it helps you or anybody else in this current period. 

I put the same thing on another social media site and had my friends from all over the country agree with it like Jose in SoCal, Amy down in Florida, Amber in VA, Sara down in GA, Autumn over in TN, Dee in TX, Sal in SC, Bonnie in NorCal and on and on. People want to see light now not more darkness.   But continue, IF you think you are helping and encouraging people.  I think people need more positive news at this time and even more hope. 

You won't get criticism from me and I hope you didn't take it as such.  It's great to hear positive perspectives as long as you're able to internally weigh them against reality.

• Like 1

Keep the positivity coming. I stay up top date on the virus daily but am trying to limit how much each day. My job is especially high in anxiety right now, so I really need the positive relief. Don't forget Matthew 6:25-34. It's been my mainstay here recently. Verse 34 "So never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Each day has enough of its own troubles." Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Keep the positivity coming. I stay up top date on the virus daily but am trying to limit how much each day. My job is especially high in anxiety right now, so I really need the positive relief. Don't forget Matthew 6:25-34. It's been my mainstay here recently. Verse 34 "So never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Each day has enough of its own troubles." Cheers

Feel free to make a religion thread. This is about the coronavirus.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Nice map from the FT. Other than Virginia we are surrounded by states with much higher per capita infection rates (Tennessee is nearly triple our rate, SC nearly double, subject to nationwide testing incompetence) but none has imposed statewide stay at home orders. 

Do stay at home orders work? Observation suggests they do:

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Ughh: ProPublica: Taxpayers Paid Millions to Design a Low-Cost Ventilator for a Pandemic. Instead, the Company Is Selling Versions of It Overseas..
https://www.propublica.org/article/taxpayers-paid-millions-to-design-a-low-cost-ventilator-for-a-pandemic-instead-the-company-is-selling-versions-of-it-overseas-#181338

• Thanks 1