The Coronavirus thread

Once the newshour puts up their segments for tonight on YouTube check out the one on how Taiwan handled the crisis and came in way , way below John's Hopkins estimates. Pretty amazing. 40 years of the GOP attacking good governence is proving very successful.

Here's the segment: 

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

NC is testing more than any other southeastern state except Florida so when compared to our peers, we’re doing quite well. 

But again, because testing is so inconsistent from state to state, you must look at death rate. NC only has 10 deaths total with ~1600 positive tests. Compare that GA, which has 14x as many deaths as NC but only 3x as many positive tests. That shows that GA is way under testing compared to NC. GA’s true infection number is likely 5-10x what the current testing shows. NC’s deaths are very much inline with our total confirmed infections. 

When this is over, I predict NC will be lauded as a place that did it right/got lucky. 

I completely agree.  Compared to othern Southern states, only North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky appear to have gotten this correct.  The New York Times has a great database of numbers.  You can see the impact of NC's shelter-in-place (sip) orders.  The number of cases in Durham, tied with Mecklenburg for first place to implement sip, has seen new cases drop dramatically.  

I cautiously think the worst is over in terms of the growth rate of new cases in NC.  Thanks, Governor Cooper.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ And the Georgia order is only for 12 days!!!???!!!

I would not be surprised if Donnie made DeSantis and Kemp into the fall guys for 200,000+ deaths. He is going to have to pass the buck to someone, I suspect those guys will be the easiest targets. 

What a couple of morons, they thought loyalty to the King of the Idiots would mean something...

And today Pence was blaming the CDC, they are gonna throw everything they can at the wall and hope something sticks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

We don’t even have a shelter in place here in South Carolina. Lol. Tennessee doesn’t either.

We should be setting up road blocks between NC and TN, GA and SC.  I'm half serious.  I get that Republicans believe that government is unnecessary except for the military, but at least for now, technically, government is responsible for the public health, safety, and welfare.  Free trade, no public safety nets, no zoning, etcetera means that Republicans like those in GA and FL think this virus should play out without government doing anything.  If the public wants to go and hang out at a bar and the bar owner wants to be open, that's what should happen.  Each individual is responsible for themselves.  No one should be surprised by the reluctance "to do" anything in some states.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

We should be setting up road blocks between NC and TN, GA and SC.  I'm half serious.  I get that Republicans believe that government is unnecessary except for the military, but at least for now, technically, government is responsible for the public health, safety, and welfare.  Free trade, no public safety nets, no zoning, etcetera means that Republicans like those in GA and FL think this virus should play out without government doing anything.  If the public wants to go and hang out at a bar and the bar owner wants to be open, that's what should happen.  Each individual is responsible for themselves.  No one should be surprised by the reluctance "to do" anything in some states.  

I completely agree, North Carolinians should not be force to pay the price for moronic-science-denying-performative-ideologues across the state line. They are quite literally trying to kill us. 

On 3/27/2020 at 1:06 PM, kermit said:

A bold double-down by McMaster on denial. Considering that SC already has a much higher per capita infection rate than NC, and they are relaxing social-distancing restrictions, perhaps its time to #ClosetheBorder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tiger King was a crazy watch. I can't believe the nutty people out there. But that they were in OK, FL and SC somehow made perfect sense to me. :tw_grin:

I think that music video of her feeding her husband to tigers would be perfect for karaoke though. Have to get a copy for my next trip to Japan. 

Wait, I missed the whole Australia boob lady thing!

Edited by elrodvt

^ Tests are taking 10 - 14 days right now when they run through private labs like QuestDiagnostics and Labcorp, so we will certainly see all the bars in the grey box above increase as the results roll in. Unfortunately due to the long processing time, we won't know if tests being taken today show a "decrease" in positive coronavirus cases for a while.

image.thumb.png.49ea06d36edcef22dd24cf1a20c3d868.png

• Like 2

Some interesting data on communities as moves toward sheltering in place rolled out: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/02/us/coronavirus-social-distancing.html

A couple of takeaways . . . Urbanized places, unsurprisingly were able to reduce travel quickly. Mecklenburg issued their stay-at-home order on 3/24 to go into effect 3/26. While their data isn't correct, I'm pleased to see Mecklenburg Countians took the shelter-in-place seriously. 

image.thumb.png.197a66e1b840c6f9d26809f32ffddacf.png

This kind of surprised me ( @gman430looks like you were not in the minority in your county - most of central Florida except for Orange and Osceola county were on the list - Hillsborough was the last entry on the list):

image.thumb.png.6fb3bd2940ff60971c132490d8343f4b.png

Edited by davidclt
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Oldest person to survive the virus in the USA  a 104 year old WW2 veteran in Oregon

https://www.koin.com/news/special-reports/oregon-veteran-recovers-from-covid-19-celebrates-104th-birthday/

If a bunch of Nazi's couldn't kill him, you think Covid19 could? Pssssh, this is one bad mama-jama. You sure his name wasn't Chuck Norris? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

If a bunch of Nazi's couldn't kill him, you think Covid19 could? Pssssh, this is one bad mama-jama. You sure his name wasn't Chuck Norris? 

If Chuck Norris comes out of retirement, he could cure Covid-19 with a single roundhouse kick.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Some good news which is not influenced by the testing shortage. Disclaimer, one day does not make a trend:

NC seems to be faring pretty well, all things considered.  Unless I'm missing something, it looks like Utah, Hawaii, and Wyoming are the only states with a lower death rate than NC, and combined they have fewer confirmed cases than we do.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1