The Coronavirus thread

Is there a correlation between red States with R governor's who bow to dear leader and the current outbreaks? That would be interesting to see. Or stacked legislatures with R obstruction to enforcing mask rules etc.

I read there are only 7 States with the manpower and skills to do increased testing for contact tracing. Surprisingly SC was on the list along with well managed States like VT. NC was absent of course. Why be proactive after all?

Edited by elrodvt

20 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Is there a correlation between red States with R governor's who bow to dear leader and the current outbreaks? That would be interesting to see. Or stacked legislatures with R obstruction to enforcing mask rules etc.

I read there are only 7 States with the manpower and skills to do increased testing for contact tracing. Surprisingly SC was on the list along with well managed States like VT. NC was absent of course. Why be proactive after all?

It’s actually pretty complicated. Red states were hit later and have been on the upswing but now blue states — which had been improving — are increasing in numbers too. Here’s an interesting graph of red and blue counties. As you can see, it’s complicated and the relationship between partisanship and new cases is pretty weak. 

53E7F35A-61A8-4556-85BC-ECD6D692C237.jpeg

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

^That along with borders being logical constructs with, in our case, people freely coming from SC into NC. You're right I don't see an easy way to get to the bottom of it without contact tracing back to the source. With that information it would be easy to slice by she group & state where initial contact occurred. With no federal government it's pretty hard to imagine the States having compatible data (and the funds to collect it)  to enable that. Then there are the persistent rumours that Desantos is cooking the FL books. Further complicating the issue is red is far more rural than blue?

Edited by elrodvt

3 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

^That along with borders being logical constructs with, in our case, people freely coming from SC into NC. You're right I don't see an easy way to get to the bottom of it without contact tracing back to the source.

What about 100s of thousands of people congregating in the streets for protests a few weeks ago? Does the virus stop spreading for a good cause?

The public health officials that supported the protests further undermined their own authority to half the country. It's a huge mess.

Edited by joenc

6 minutes ago, joenc said:

What about 100s of thousands of people congregating in the streets for protests a few weeks ago? Does the virus stop spreading for a good cause?

The public health officials that supported the protests further undermined their own authority to half the country. It's a huge mess.

I agree somewhat. But outdoors is much less dangerous plus those were one time events. I imagine having bars and restaurants open every day with people packed in without masks or distancing results in a far greater exposure number. In any case we don't know and only more data and contact tracing will get us answers. In the meantime dear leader plays his fiddle...

Edited by elrodvt

5 minutes ago, joenc said:

The data show no upswing in cases in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area where there were huge protests. Also, no jump in NYC where there were big protests so while I think large protests are risky — especially without masks — we just haven’t seen any correlation. It appears most of the upswing is a matter of re-opening coupled with failure to wear masks.

If you watched the BLM demonstrations, most people were masked, which was in stark contrast to Trump’s indoor rallies in Tulsa and Arizona where most people were not masked. I’ll be very interested to watch the numbers in Oklahoma particularly. 

23 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

The data show no upswing in cases in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area where there were huge protests. Also, no jump in NYC where there were big protests so while I think large protests are risky — especially without masks — we just haven’t seen any correlation. It appears most of the upswing is a matter of re-opening coupled with failure to wear masks.

If you watched the BLM demonstrations, most people were masked, which was in stark contrast to Trump’s indoor rallies in Tulsa and Arizona where most people were not masked. I’ll be very interested to watch the numbers in Oklahoma particularly. 

When did the southern states start re-opening? SC the stay home order expired May 4th. We'll see soon with the protests too, but it'll be easy to wave that away with saying the Southern states are spreading it.

That's why the health officials should have been able to help themselves and keep quiet about the protests instead of actually supporting them. They won't have the credibility they need.

EDIT:
I'm not credible because of my past comments, but I'm just a guy on the Internet, these are public health officials.

Edited by joenc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

^That along with borders being logical constructs with, in our case, people freely coming from SC into NC. You're right I don't see an easy way to get to the bottom of it without contact tracing back to the source. With that information it would be easy to slice by she group & state where initial contact occurred. With no federal government it's pretty hard to imagine the States having compatible data (and the funds to collect it)  to enable that. Then there are the persistent rumours that Desantos is cooking the FL books. Further complicating the issue is red is far more rural than blue?

The virus is really picking up with young people and basically everybody has stopped social distancing in this area whether Blue  or Red party vote. Walk around South End (blue area) and you'll see just as many people hugging their friends, no masks, packed into the Waterman shoulder to shoulder, et... as you will out in Hickory (red area). Charlotte's youth and the desire to hang out with friends in different households in a large group at each other's homes, at the brewery or white water center might make us even worse off, compared to more mature areas where social networks are more family based.

On Sunday I went to a 30th birthday party for a friend and I was shocked she invited 25 people to her backyard and everybody was hugging, posing for photos together, going through a buffet line, et. like no pandemic is going on. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

It’s actually pretty complicated. Red states were hit later and have been on the upswing but now blue states — which had been improving — are increasing in numbers too. Here’s an interesting graph of red and blue counties. As you can see, it’s complicated and the relationship between partisanship and new cases is pretty weak. 

53E7F35A-61A8-4556-85BC-ECD6D692C237.jpeg

This is nice chart, but keep in mind what it is mostly showing is the rise of cases in the Sunbelt. Sunbelt urban counties are generally very Blue (and have lots of people) so they push the blue line up. Unfortunately, total cases at the county level don't tell us much about the effect of partisanship since most public health decisions are made at the state level (which in the Sunbelt are overwhelmingly red). Add in the fact that two red (ish) states, Ohio (very red) and Maryland (red governor) have done a great job with public health (Larry Hogan in MD is a dick about transit). A better dividing line for political influence might be science denier vs. rational, evidence-driven and thoughtful human being -- strangely its hard for some journalists to apply those labels.

We already know that the protests had very little impact on infection rates (thanks to them being outside and mask wearing rates being high). Look at any map of infection growth rates and you will see growth in the South and declines in the North -- but protests were everywhere. If protests were superspreader events we would have seen infection rate increases everywhere, not just in the Sunbelt where we are seeing them now.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

July 4 cancellations in the Charlotte area due to COVID-19:
Uptown SkyShow
US National Whitewater Center Fireworks / Celebration
Kings Mountain Fireworks Show
Lake Wylie Fireworks Display
Charlotte Symphony South Park Fireworks Pops
Indian Trail 4th of July Parade
Harrisburg 4th of July Parade

Still happening:
Gastonia Fireworks (rest of celebration like food trucks, et. canceled)
Mount Holly Fireworks
Cramerton Fireworks (downtown Centennial Center will be blocked, find a remote view)
Belmont Alfresco Dining & Fireworks (will block off main street for restaurants to use as outdoor alfresco seating downtown for viewing fireworks)
Tega Cay 4th of July Fireworks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1