The Coronavirus thread

3 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I don't get it. What am I missing?

TLDR: That the infection rate in South Carolina is 30% higher than that of North Carolina and they would prefer that people from SC take their custom elsewhere.

What I initially wrote:

The fact that the vacuum of leadership in the state, the line of which demarks the division between them and the fairer Carolina to the north sits exactly 2.5 miles as the crow flies from the front door of this establishment. They are merely establishing that they would prefer patrons from more civil environs where the governor is at least attempting to provide some modicum of leadership in the face of a global pandemic given the infection rate below the state line is 30% higher. They say this with the expectation there is possibly a slightly reduced chance of exposing their employees and customers to patrons from SC which may otherwise be at a higher risk of contracting, carrying and spreading the virus at the heart of the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So as part of the 11pm stop to alcohol sales in Meck it includes prohibition on bar seating at all times for eating everywhere.

This in my opinion is a step to far. I’m solidly in the camp of overreach at this stage. This is huge and massive disappointment. The county/city has lost my support for anything that now comes out of their mouth at this point. This coming from someone who fully supports 100% mask mandate and even the alcohol cut off time. Sad day for individuals and business owners.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Disallowing seating at restaurant bars for a meal anytime of the day.

Why is that so egregious though? Bar seating puts diners who aren't wearing masks in much closer proximity to each other as well as to employees, barware, garnishes, taps, silverware, napkins, and other items. And if you enforce 6 feet distance at the bar most places would only be able to accommodate one or maybe two parties effectively rendering the seating useless anyway. Seems like a relatively common sense restriction.

• Like 2

Why is that so egregious though? Bar seating puts diners who aren't wearing masks in much closer proximity to each other as well as to employees, barware, garnishes, taps, silverware, napkins, and other items. And if you enforce 6 feet distance at the bar most places would only be able to accommodate one or maybe two parties effectively rendering the seating useless anyway. Seems like a relatively common sense restriction.

Seems like if you don’t want to sit at a bar then you shouldn’t.

I’m all favor of requiring reduced bar seating capacity. The restaurant bars were doing this on their own already removing available chairs and having parties be spaced out since they were allowed to reopen.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Seems like if you don’t want to sit at a bar then you shouldn’t.

I’m all favor of requiring reduced bar seating capacity. The restaurant bars were doing this on their own already removing available chairs and having parties be spaced out since they were allowed to reopen.

I mean I guess that's a legitimate opinion, but it just seems like a really odd hill to choose to die on. Hard to understand why a bar seating restriction is the straw that broke the camel's back for you when it's really insignificant compared to the overall occupancy caps being imposed. But to each his own...

movie.mp4

Some state officials voiced apprehensions about the federal response to the pandemic. Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham of New Mexico, a Democrat, said in an appearance on “This Week” that her state was “at the mercy of what’s going on around the county.”

New Mexico set a single-day record on Thursday, reporting 335 new virus cases.

“There is no national strategy,” Ms. Grisham said. “I still spend most of my days chasing testing supplies for our state. It is the worst abdication of a national response and responsibility to protect Americans I have ever seen in my government career.”

I was on South Blvd heading toward uptown Saturday evening around 9:00 PM.  I don't remember the bar/restaurant name or it's specific location.  When we passed it the sidewalk was packed with people.  It scared the hell out of me.  Not because there were no precautions for Covid-19, but because at this location South Blvd narrows down and the people were on the curb and one small step would have resulted in a person getting hit by a car.  Between the lack of PPE and the location these folks are living on the edge.  Is the curfew still in place?  What time is it?  Also, does the curfew mean crowds like that must disperse or is it just no more alcohol will be served?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, nashbill said:

at this location South Blvd narrows down and the people were on the curb and one small step would have resulted in a person getting hit by a car. 

A family friend of mine was hit on South Blvd this time last year and was flung 30ft down the road. She was crossing at an intersection with a walk signal when a speeding driver turned and hit her. She should have died. South Blvd is incredibly dangerous and if it wasn't an arterial road then it should go on a diet. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

A family friend of mine was hit on South Blvd this time last year and was flung 30ft down the road. She was crossing at an intersection with a walk signal when a speeding driver turned and hit her. She should have died. South Blvd is incredibly dangerous and if it wasn't an arterial road then it should go on a diet. 

was she wearing a properly certified reflective vest? the driver already has enough to worry about, what with controlling a 2-ton machine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Scientific American summarizing research showing transit not being a hot spot. They go further to suggest that avoidance of public transport (and switching to driving) may cause increased infection rates overall (not individually) due to a link between atmospheric particulates and virus transmission.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/there-is-little-evidence-that-mass-transit-poses-a-risk-of-coronavirus-outbreaks/

Edited by kermit

Federal response is marked by equal parts incompetence and malice. Kushner's task force initially developed a national testing strategy to quickly ramp up and coordinate testing to allow tracing and containment of outbreaks. That plan was scrapped since the pandemic was initially affecting primarily Democratic states. The administration decided that leaving the states on their own and blaming Democrat governors was the better play politically.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

Phase 2 has been extended 5 weeks to September 11.

Hopefully our gyms, bars, and entertainment venues can make it that far. I know Pins Mechanical tried to open in defiance of the governor's orders (and was shut down by police) and has said they are burning through cash on their lease in South End. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

I feel for local businesses but we're finally heading in the right direction.  Another five weeks of stricter mandates and hopefully we get back to April like new daily case numbers with exponentially more testing than we had at that time.  Keep it up everyone!

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states/north-carolina

• Like 2