The Coronavirus thread

19 minutes ago, kermit said:

I'd love to see someone do a study comparing political views in urban areas vs political views in rural areas and whether that has any correlation to amount of mask-wearing and number of cases. I bet it would turn out to match pretty well but I don't know if it would actually prove anything.

3 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I'd love to see someone do a study comparing political views in urban areas vs political views in rural areas and whether that has any correlation to amount of mask-wearing and number of cases. I bet it would turn out to match pretty well but I don't know if it would actually prove anything.

It's the red blue split I'm betting.

The CDC announcement of no need to test people who've been in contact with covid carriers is really unfathomable. FWIW, CNN reports it was as a result of pressure from the admin. I just can't imagine why that would help them though and scientifically the former CDC head says it's scientifically indefensible. I'm starting to worry the FAA will be pressured to release vaccine candidates prior to thorough trials. Plus this really plays into the hands of the anti-vax crowd saying the government cannot be trusted. What a mess!  Political speculation os that there still are not enough "fast" tests available and the admin doesn't want that info to see the light of day. If true what a cynical ploy and one which will lead to more unnecessary deaths.   

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

#Downtrend 

EgWV3IhXoAMLFDP?format=jpg&name=medium

Indeed! Looks great!

per the graphic, published 8/26 with the marks being “number of days ago” we see the stratospheric climb in cases reach a peak around 42 days ago, level off and then start it’s big beautiful drop!

So six weeks ago would be the middle of July. Hmmm! Spidey senses are tingling but I just can’t quite place my finger on what may have changed in the middle of July. Oh well. Ho hum. 

• Confused 1

Hey, that rings a bell ;)

• Published July 14, 2020

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration has ordered hospitals to bypass the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and send all Covid-19 patient information to a central database in Washington beginning on Wednesday. The move has alarmed health experts who fear the data will be politicized or withheld from the public.

The new instructions were posted recently in a little-noticed document on the Department of Health and Human Services website. From now on, the department — not the C.D.C. — will collect daily reports about the patients that each hospital is treating, the number of available beds and ventilators, and other information vital to tracking the pandemic.

Officials say the change will streamline data gathering and assist the White House coronavirus task force in allocating scarce supplies like personal protective gear and remdesivir, the first drug shown to be effective against the virus. But the Health and Human Services database that will receive new information is not open to the public, which could affect the work of scores of researchers, modelers and health officials who rely on C.D.C. data to make projections and crucial decisions.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

The change in reporting combined with the new CDC guidelines about not testing as many people should have our cases down to every other country's level just in time for the election! MAGA!

I'm having trouble seeing the conspiracy theory in this memorandum from HHS regarding this transition. 

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/covid-19-faqs-hospitals-hospital-laboratory-acute-care-facility-data-reporting.pdf

White House Coronavirus Task Force member Dr. Anthony Fauci said he was undergoing surgery and not in the August 20 task force meeting for the discussion on updated US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines that suggest asymptomatic people may not need to be tested for Covid-19, even if they've been in close contact with an infected person.

Or in the president's own words "If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, actually"

Working perfectly! "Trust the plan" :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

White House Coronavirus Task Force member Dr. Anthony Fauci said he was undergoing surgery and not in the August 20 task force meeting for the discussion on updated US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines that suggest asymptomatic people may not need to be tested for Covid-19, even if they've been in close contact with an infected person.

Or in the president's own words "If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, actually"

Working perfectly! "Trust the plan" :D

Dr Fauci "Getting a sip of water" 

Mask - Not Check

Social Distancing - Not Check

Yankees_Nationals_Baseball_01416.jpg-dcfc8.jpg

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/infectious-disease-experts-call-for-immediate-reversal-of-cdc-testing-changes/

Intense backlash from medical and infectious disease experts continues over revisions to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 testing recommendations, which as of this week discourage testing for people who have been exposed to the virus but are not showing symptoms.

In a joint statement late Wednesday, the Infectious Diseases Society of American (IDSA) and the HIV Medicine Association (HIVMA) called for “the immediate reversal of the abrupt revision” by the CDC.

In a separate statement, Susan Bailey, president of the American Medical Association—the nation’s largest organization of doctors—called the revision to the testing guidance “a recipe for community spread and more spikes in coronavirus.”

Bailey went on to note that the CDC should provide an evidence-based rationale when it changes its guidances—which it typically does. “We urge CDC and the Department of Health and Human Services to release the scientific justification for this change in testing guidelines.”

“Evidence has clearly indicated that asymptomatic persons play a significant role in transmissions,” the two organizations wrote. “Identifying individuals infected with COVID-19—even if they are asymptomatic—is critical to support appropriate isolation and identification of contacts, to limit spread, and to provide the data-driven, comprehensive view of community spread needed to inform effective public health responses.”

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/infectious-disease-experts-call-for-immediate-reversal-of-cdc-testing-changes/

Intense backlash from medical and infectious disease experts continues over revisions to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 testing recommendations, which as of this week discourage testing for people who have been exposed to the virus but are not showing symptoms.

In a joint statement late Wednesday, the Infectious Diseases Society of American (IDSA) and the HIV Medicine Association (HIVMA) called for “the immediate reversal of the abrupt revision” by the CDC.

In a separate statement, Susan Bailey, president of the American Medical Association—the nation’s largest organization of doctors—called the revision to the testing guidance “a recipe for community spread and more spikes in coronavirus.”

Bailey went on to note that the CDC should provide an evidence-based rationale when it changes its guidances—which it typically does. “We urge CDC and the Department of Health and Human Services to release the scientific justification for this change in testing guidelines.”

“Evidence has clearly indicated that asymptomatic persons play a significant role in transmissions,” the two organizations wrote. “Identifying individuals infected with COVID-19—even if they are asymptomatic—is critical to support appropriate isolation and identification of contacts, to limit spread, and to provide the data-driven, comprehensive view of community spread needed to inform effective public health responses.”

Don't see that in this manderandum from HHS. Prolly more conspiracy theories. 

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/covid-19-faqs-hospitals-hospital-laboratory-acute-care-facility-data-reporting.pdf

19 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

As I understand it changing the policy without explaining the science behind the change is unprecedented. Very concerning. Common sense doesn't always work on complicated issues like this but.... boy this sure defies common sense. Let's hope the guidance is simply ignored by the States. Between the contaminated test kits and this policy the CDC is having a leadership crisis and a change obviously needs to be made.

I really worry now that the FDA will also bow to political pressures, ad they did with the antibody fiasco, and approve vaccines without adequate testing. I never thought I would have to say that. It's extremely disappointing.

8 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

As I understand it changing the policy without explaining the science behind the change is unprecedented. Very concerning. Common sense doesn't always work on complicated issues like this but.... boy this sure defies common sense. Let's hope the guidance is simply ignored by the States. Between the contaminated test kits and this policy the CDC is having a leadership crisis and a change obviously needs to be made.

I really worry now that the FDA will also bow to political pressures, ad they did with the antibody fiasco, and approve vaccines without adequate testing. I never thought I would have to say that. It's extremely disappointing.

Again, debunked