The Coronavirus thread

I read that Facebook had to take down a Trump post today where he stated the normal flu is worse than Covid.

I'm becoming concerned he's growing much more unstable every day. I just hope there are no world crisis' he has to deal with before the presumed change of admin in January.  One thing we've learned is our system of "checks and balances" are much weaker than thought and it might not be possible for more sane people in the admin, military, congress or judiciary to intervene.  Shiver....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I read that Facebook had to take down a Trump post today where he stated the normal flu is worse than Covid.

I'm becoming concerned he's growing much more unstable every day. I just hope there are no world crisis' he has to deal with before the presumed change of admin in January.  One thing we've learned is our system of "checks and balances" are much weaker than thought and it might not be possible for more sane people in the admin, military, congress or judiciary to intervene.  Shiver....

So I guess my naive perspective about the "adults" in charge may be a fallacy!  I had always hoped that if the man in the oval office got way too far from center, someone that is sane, rational and high up enough on the food chain would pretty much step in and explain how the way the world works.  However, you are planting seeds of doubt that I should have recognized earlier.  Everyone is too afraid/nervous (fill in the blank) to go any way, shape or form counter to him.  Too much for them to lose personally I guess.  However, the bigger picture of how 300+ million other people live and work don't matter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I give it a week before the entire country shuts down again:

“Covid-19 hospitalizations in the United States hit an all-time high of 61,964 on Tuesday, and new daily cases passed 139,000 for the first time, as the raging pandemic continued to shatter record after record and strain medical facilities.”

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/11/world/covid-19-coronavirus-live-updates?type=styln-live-updates&label=virus&index=0&action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage&fbclid=IwAR3YfDD6YAqNR2fd5U80JBSey0d3UX6UpaWipS9MazuNCClk1sSkDAUwRCU#us-hospitalizations-reach-a-record-high-as-medical-facilities-are-under-strain

:D We are turning the corner:

“A little more than a week after the US first topped 100,000 daily infections, it reported a record of more than 184,000 new cases Friday. Hospitalizations also hit a new high -- for the fourth consecutive day -- with more than 68,500 Covid-19 patients nationwide, according to theCOVID Tracking Project. And the country's death toll has topped 1,300 at least three times this week.“

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/14/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

Edited by gman430

On 11/11/2020 at 10:18 AM, kermit said:

Does anyone remember when this was an urban disease which was going to be the end of cities?

I'm not sure why people think there is that much of a difference between being 2 feet away from your server at a Waffle House in a small town and 2 feet away from your server at a restaurant in Manhattan. Its not like people in rural America never come in contact with other humans..... they go to stores, hug their family members, go to events, go to church, go shopping, get married, go to restaurants, et. just like people in cities. You may drive a car to get there instead of  take a subway train, but a Dollar General in small town America vs. a Manhattan bodega are both crowded and small stores where you can't distance.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is reporting the state’s highest one-day number of COVID-19 cases with 4,296 new cases reported.

Yeah lots of people poppin hot, lots more test being conducted, still below the % positive from the April-May time period.  Hopefully, we can get through this, I am not looking forward to another shut down. 

Couldn’t find historic data on hospitalizations, but looks like they have changed the way they are being counted.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/it-looks-like-a-jump-in-covid-19-hospitalizations-but-its-not/83-503ed085-2c24-4544-a2dc-65db04d84d73

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 1:50 PM, Popsickle said:

Yeah lots of people poppin hot, lots more test being conducted, still below the % positive from the April-May time period.  Hopefully, we can get through this, I am not looking forward to another shut down. 

Couldn’t find historic data on hospitalizations, but looks like they have changed the way they are being counted.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/it-looks-like-a-jump-in-covid-19-hospitalizations-but-its-not/83-503ed085-2c24-4544-a2dc-65db04d84d73

Hadn't heard that about the hospitalizations.  I think the hospitals also have a better idea of how many Covid patients they can take in before it gets truly unmanageable. 

Looks like the % positive is 8.2% as of this comment, and has been trending upward for the past two weeks (from about 6.2% on Nov 7th).  NC was above 9% positive in mid-June as well as several times in April and May.

Edited by nicholas
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the vaccine, I was thinking today what would happen to teachers who decline the opportunity for protection.

My answer: When I started working for CMS and a few years afterward each employee, regardless of position,  was required to undergo a tine test. This was the common TB (tuberculosis) test and employment was conditional on test result every year. It was the fingerprint and criminal background check of that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tine_test

I recall no requirement to show inoculation for other so-called childhood diseases or for polio (though this may have been required).

• Like 1