The Coronavirus thread

Italy has announced the biggest single-day jump in new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, according to the latest figures issued by Italy’s Civil Protection Agency.

The number of coronavirus cases increased by 4,207 in 24 hours. The total number of cases now stands at 35,713 as of Wednesday.

The number of coronavirus deaths increased 475 in 24 hours. The total number of cases now stands 2,978 as of Wednesday.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Italy has announced the biggest single-day jump in new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, according to the latest figures issued by Italy’s Civil Protection Agency.

The number of coronavirus cases increased by 4,207 in 24 hours. The total number of cases now stands at 35,713 as of Wednesday.

The number of coronavirus deaths increased 475 in 24 hours. The total number of cases now stands 2,978 as of Wednesday.

15 day incubation period for the less lethal strain

30 day incubation period for the lethal strain that attacks your lungs. 

Source: Nurse from Italy directly. 

• Like 2

Hey @gman430, our senior senator from NC, Richard Burr told a private audience weeks ago that this is going to be big and bad: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818187696/covid-19-cases-in-congress-senators-early-warnings-u-s-border-restrictions

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." — George Orwell

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I know and Half want gold the other Half just want to burn the fed. Then there's the group who think we should only have to pay for fire protection when we have a fire. You have to admit it's an odd bunch. The wall street protests in Denver were a hoot because of them. Until DPD pulled out their military hardware and gassed folks, including myself who was just there for the amusement of it all.

I wouldn't get to excited by trials. The path to availability is a year or more and it may have mutated enough by then to not be very effective anyhow. Who knows now in the exciting post crisper world though. If nothing else a lot of people will have developed some degree of immunity thus resulting in a more normal flu profile.

Libertarian-bashers always amuse me. Laws are for other people.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TCLT said:

State Department has upgraded their global travel advisory to level 4.

"In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period," the alert said.

They are getting ready to lockdown the nation. 

19 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

"In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period," the alert said.

They are getting ready to lockdown the nation. 

Martial Law is coming. Military tanks will be going up and down your neighborhood street soon. It’s all part of the bigger government agenda. **sarcasm**

Seriously though, I definitely see a lockdown coming also. Hopefully not as severe as Italy but we shall see.

Edited by gman430

We need to hope for (and take steps to enable) the best, while preparing for the worst.  I hope and believe that we won't have an Italy-like situation, but we must prepare for such an outcome, or even worse.

Conventions have been or will be canceled, at a minimum for two to four months, and likely longer.  At the same time, we may end up with an acute hospital bed shortage.  City and County officials need to get a plan in place to convert the Convention Center into a temporary medical facility.  It is spacious, has great ventilation, is already kept immaculately clean, has large food prep areas, lots of plumbing, and vast loading areas. 

Edited by southernnorthcarolina

8 hours ago, davidclt said:

Hey @gman430, our senior senator from NC, Richard Burr told a private audience weeks ago that this is going to be big and bad: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818187696/covid-19-cases-in-congress-senators-early-warnings-u-s-border-restrictions

Heard this story on NPR this morning.  Very interesting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, davidclt said:

and now it appears that Dick sold $1.6 million worth of stocks (in 29 different transactions) in his portfolio on February 13, six days  after telling the public that everything was good.

In a Feb. 7 op-ed that he co-authored with another senator, he assured the public that “the United States today is better prepared than ever before to face emerging public health threats, like the coronavirus.” He wrote, “No matter the outbreak or threat, Congress and the federal government have been vigilant in identifying gaps in its readiness efforts and improving its response capabilities.”

Unlike his typical disclosure reports, which are a mix of sales and purchases, all of the transactions were sales.

His biggest sales included companies that are among the most vulnerable to an economic slowdown. He dumped up to $150,000 worth of shares of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, a chain based in the United States that has lost two-thirds of its value. And he sold up to $100,000 of shares of Extended Stay America, an economy hospitality chain. Shares of that company are now worth less than half of what they did at the time Burr sold.

https://www.propublica.org/article/senator-dumped-up-to-1-6-million-of-stock-after-reassuring-public-about-coronavirus-preparedness

So I was pretty angry when incredibly poor preparation and incompetent response on the part of the federal government caused people to die. Now that its clear that these A-holes are profiting from the virus I am ready to roll out the guillotine. These guys are Bond-villian level dicks.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

We need to hope for (and take steps to enable) the best, while preparing for the worst.  I hope and believe that we won't have an Italy-like situation, but we must prepare for such an outcome, or even worse.

Conventions have been or will be canceled, at a minimum for two to four months, and likely longer.  At the same time, we may end up with an acute hospital bed shortage.  City and County officials need to get a plan in place to convert the Convention Center into a temporary medical facility.  It is spacious, has great ventilation, is already kept immaculately clean, has large food prep areas, lots of plumbing, and vast loading areas. 

Have you seen what a ventilator is and what it is like for the patient? I have and it is fricking nasty. I would sure hate to have laying on some cot in a convention area on top of that. But, it's better than a ditch.

The admin is been consistently behind the ball. first they wasted nearly 2 months pretending nothing was going on. Then they say there are plenty of tests when that is STILL not close to true. I can just imagine what the ventilator situation is.  So, I hope you're right but have no reason to expect it. Let's hope private industry can step in and start churning out vents. Sure hate to have GM recall my ventilator though. ;-(

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

and now it appears that Dick sold $1.6 million worth of stocks (in 29 different transactions) in his portfolio on February 13 after telling the public that everything was good.

https://www.propublica.org/article/senator-dumped-up-to-1-6-million-of-stock-after-reassuring-public-about-coronavirus-preparedness

it's amazing how most senators leave office as rich fat cats. No corruption there right?

• Like 1

Should Dick Burr resign (I am not holding my breath), Roy Cooper gets to appoint his replacement. But the replacement must be a republican.

EDIT: Even Tucker Carlson is calling for Burr to resign

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:27 AM, gman430 said:

I’ll probably get a lot of hate for this post but honestly I feel like trying to fight this virus off is a lost cause now. It’s just too spread out all over the world. It’s in 155 countries. How do you stop something like that without a vaccine? Is it even possible? 

These countries including our own are spending way too much money and resources than it’s worth. Also, look at what it’s doing to the economy. People are losing their jobs left and right. We’re gonna be in a very bad recession if not depression before the end of the month at this rate. I know it’s sad people will die but I just feel like it’s for the best now until a vaccine gets developed and approved for use. Save the economy and let this virus run its course I say. 

Idk.  At this point, is it really worth trying to possibly salvage the economy by letting the virus completely run its course?  It was going to crash eventually - the warning signs (aka @A2.) were there, the coronavirus simply happened to be the thing that nudged the boulder off the mountain. 

As far as economic impact, China is the only country that can be studied even somewhat extensively.  There actually weren't really that many Covid-19 cases in China until late January, and it peaked in mid-February.  There are still over 7,200 active cases in China as of this writing, but by this point Covid-19 has largely run its course there (no new cases yesterday).  The temporary hospitals in Wuhan closed about a week ago, and schools and roads have begun to gradually reopen in the past week or so.  So, roughly two months from lockdown to beginning the transition back to normalcy.

I don't think the mainstream media here has helped the situation at all.  Certainly it took the situation more seriously more quickly than certain political figures have, but it - and various governmental agencies - has been causing a panic by proclaiming that we will still be battling Covid-19 this time next year.   Was it widely reported here that the Chinese government f'ed around for a month (sounds familiar....), trying to silence the doctors who foresaw the impending disaster, before taking the virus seriously???  Clearly we have not yet taken as drastic of measures as the Chinese government has, and it will get worse before it gets better, but I firmly believe that it will run its course in a similar timeframe here as well.

• Thanks 1

BREAKING: New controlled clinical study conducted by doctors in France shows that Hydroxychloroquine cures 100% of coronavirus patients within 6 days of treatment (covidtrial.io)

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/18/breaking-controlled-clinical-study-conducted-doctors-in-france-shows-hydroxychloroquine-cures-100-coronavirus-patients-within-6-days-treatment-covidtrial-io/