The Coronavirus thread

On 3/12/2021 at 9:01 PM, kermit said:

Lots of press today on COVID trends being a mirage:

Every time I read that someone is moving to Florida for warmer weather its clear that those people have never been to Florida in August.

And July, and September, and....

We lived in FL for eight years. First year we were there, we thought we'd have a rustic Thanksgiving in a cabin at Blue Spring, outside of Deland. Bonfires, roasted marshmallows, and all that.

The low temperature that week was low 70's. The highs were near 90. All we wanted to do was go jump in the water. But for the manatees...and probably the law.

I'll say this for FL: natives do not doubt that it's paradise on earth. "Your blood will thin out," they'd say. Mine never did. Was really glad to get back to Carolina.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Exile said:

Blue Spring, outside of Deland

Blue Spring was really nice in the spring and summer to cool off a bit. I did my C-dives there for my PADI certification. We Floridians wore wet suits because the water was soooo cold and our blood was thin. North Carolina is almost the right amount of cool weather (although I wish September weren't such a bear). Not sure how familiar you are with DeLand but I am extremely sad to report that Bellini's is "moving" to an indeterminate location and their long-time location is sitting vacant (probably Covid related but who knows?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidclt said:

Blue Spring was really nice in the spring and summer to cool off a bit. I did my C-dives there for my PADI certification. We Floridians wore wet suits because the water was soooo cold and our blood was thin. North Carolina is almost the right amount of cool weather (although I wish September weren't such a bear). Not sure how familiar you are with DeLand but I am extremely sad to report that Bellini's is "moving" to an indeterminate location and their long-time location is sitting vacant (probably Covid related but who knows?)

I lived in Orlando; I only really knew Stetson.

Here's hoping Bellini's survives.

• 4 weeks later...

My guess:

With the continued rollout of vaccines and the apparent increasing acceptance by the population I think that by maybe 4 July we will have inoculated as many as would be possible. By then there will be vaccine options at drugstores, every doctor office, mini clinics, company and school health officer/nurses, colleges, and as convenient to all as possible. The supply will be well ahead of demand by then. We will have, say 70% coverage of whatever is acceptable as "adult" population. Then we announce success regardless of other data.

Some hospitalizations will continue, outbreaks among the recalcitrant will continue, Travelers will be monitored and some destinations and origins limited.  It will more closely resemble the seasonal flu pattern on contagion. 

Do all one can then claim victory.

• Like 3

NC looking above average competent / lucky here. West Virginia arguably the best performing state by these measures. The difference between us and SC is awfully stark...

To be fair, this suggested correlation is kinda misleading,  job loss is much more about industrial mix than state policy -- see Hawaii and Nevada.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mask mandates on the horizon again for Mecklenburg County (to be voted on Wednesday) and the city of Charlotte plans to implement a mandate starting Wednesday:

"Mecklenburg County health leaders are recommending a countywide indoor mask mandate. The city of Charlotte will implement a mandate, going into effect as early as Wednesday."

https://www.wbtv.com/2021/08/16/mecklenburg-health-leaders-recommend-indoor-mask-mandate-charlotte-adopt-early-wednesday/

For some large employers, will be interesting to see if this results in further delays to return to work. 

Edited by CLT2014

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Wells Fargo has delayed return to work indefinitely due to omicron so a significant chunk of Uptown workers aren't coming back in January now.

All the more reason for the Charlotte Center City Partners (CCCP) should focus on converting and constructing more mixed use developments with multifamily  rental and owner-occupied residential units in Uptown.  Hoping for masses of individuals being forced back to open-office-format cubicles for work is downright foolish and selfish. Productivity of work-from-home (WFH) individuals in white collar jobs are at an all time high so this office overseer and capative audience of in-office workers mindset is garbage and will ultimately hurt Uptown growth with Millennials and Gen Z professionals recruitment and retention for our major HQs.  COVID-19 has revealed a major weakness of Uptown and this is not an opportunity to continue status quo of forcing office workers to return when this pandemic isn't over.

The CCCP need to promote for Uptown to be more like Downtown Austin and less like the Lower Manhattan.  A strategy of more mixed development with residential and hotels along with more leisurely tourist destinations in Uptown will help Uptown to shift from the constant ups and downs from this ongoing global pandemic. In this metro area and surrounding region  there are thousands of people who have disposable income and the desire to spend it having fun and enjoying themselves not working in the city. There are no good reasons for local small establishments in the Overstreet Mall and Uptown niche businesses that don't know how to advertise or utilize social media promoting their existence to the non-office worker consumer.  Uptown must innovate and evolve from mainly office-centric to the first or second 24/7/365 regional activity center (with SouthEnd) of a region of 3M+ population 

The CCCP & COC (City of Charlotte) should be using their excess COVID-19 relief funds to help these establishments with resources to advertise, promote their business to the masses.  Also the COC & CCCP should make parking in these areas free or discounted parking, use CATS transit, and better wayfinding signage to encourage more non-working visitors to the Overstreet Mall as a destination in Uptown.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kermit said:

What is your source on this?

I can use my own career field for example.  In my area of work, we all having more things done. I work in the urban planning and development industry and it's exploding locally in work yet I complete all of my assignments and responsibilities as a very high quality product and prompt. 

Guess what, my work performance and productivity has been stellar and exceeding performance expectations for nearly 2 years straight.  The reason why I don't work a traditional 8-5 M-F schedule.  I've haven't been in an office outside rare occasions except for specific reasons since March 2020. No complaints from my direct supervisor at all because he knows my work ethic as well as others.

Oh yeah, I am one of those Millennials/Gen Z professionals. 

The whole notion of people needing to be in an office in asinine because you're only wasting time, space, and resources for someone who doesn't really care about how your work is done as long as it's done correctly and on time. Overseeing some one who you don't trust to do their job is a truly waste of company resources, period.

This is why I said what I said and resources should be better utilized for making Uptown like Downtown Austin or Midtown Atlanta. The excuses for return to the office are b.s. at best from individuals who do not understand that things aren't going back to the way it was pre-COVID. That toothpaste is out of the tube...

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been studied a lot and massive shutdowns are just not effective…it’s pretty hard to track people with Covid though because privacy and freedom. People would not like the idea of being tracked even though it happens in the background already everyday…