• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This forum desperately needs downvotes back smdh.

Off the top of my head: Uniform scientifically-based recommendations for states to follow A federal entity which holds states accountable for not following recommendations (to the extent

Commence rant.  Thank you, Governor Cooper, as a Democrat in a purple state, you may have the crappiest job in the nation right now.   The governor is responsible for the health, safety and welf

Posted Images

On 3/12/2021 at 9:01 PM, kermit said:

Lots of press today on COVID trends being a mirage:

Every time I read that someone is moving to Florida for warmer weather its clear that those people have never been to Florida in August.

And July, and September, and....

We lived in FL for eight years. First year we were there, we thought we'd have a rustic Thanksgiving in a cabin at Blue Spring, outside of Deland. Bonfires, roasted marshmallows, and all that.

The low temperature that week was low 70's. The highs were near 90. All we wanted to do was go jump in the water. But for the manatees...and probably the law.

I'll say this for FL: natives do not doubt that it's paradise on earth. "Your blood will thin out," they'd say. Mine never did. Was really glad to get back to Carolina.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Exile said:

Blue Spring, outside of Deland

Blue Spring was really nice in the spring and summer to cool off a bit. I did my C-dives there for my PADI certification. We Floridians wore wet suits because the water was soooo cold and our blood was thin. North Carolina is almost the right amount of cool weather (although I wish September weren't such a bear). Not sure how familiar you are with DeLand but I am extremely sad to report that Bellini's is "moving" to an indeterminate location and their long-time location is sitting vacant (probably Covid related but who knows?)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, davidclt said:

Blue Spring was really nice in the spring and summer to cool off a bit. I did my C-dives there for my PADI certification. We Floridians wore wet suits because the water was soooo cold and our blood was thin. North Carolina is almost the right amount of cool weather (although I wish September weren't such a bear). Not sure how familiar you are with DeLand but I am extremely sad to report that Bellini's is "moving" to an indeterminate location and their long-time location is sitting vacant (probably Covid related but who knows?)

I lived in Orlando; I only really knew Stetson.

Here's hoping Bellini's survives.

• 4 weeks later...

My guess:

With the continued rollout of vaccines and the apparent increasing acceptance by the population I think that by maybe 4 July we will have inoculated as many as would be possible. By then there will be vaccine options at drugstores, every doctor office, mini clinics, company and school health officer/nurses, colleges, and as convenient to all as possible. The supply will be well ahead of demand by then. We will have, say 70% coverage of whatever is acceptable as "adult" population. Then we announce success regardless of other data.

Some hospitalizations will continue, outbreaks among the recalcitrant will continue, Travelers will be monitored and some destinations and origins limited.  It will more closely resemble the seasonal flu pattern on contagion. 

Do all one can then claim victory.

• Like 3

NC looking above average competent / lucky here. West Virginia arguably the best performing state by these measures. The difference between us and SC is awfully stark...

To be fair, this suggested correlation is kinda misleading,  job loss is much more about industrial mix than state policy -- see Hawaii and Nevada.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3