The Coronavirus thread

Atrium Health requests federal support to alleviate COVID-19 hospital capacity constraints

https://www.wbtv.com/app/2022/01/21/atrium-health-requests-federal-support-alleviate-covid-19-hospital-capacity-constraints/

If this is not proof that the NC Board to stop restricting the number of beds at the Carolinas Medical Center aka Atrium Health-Main or Novant Health in Mecklenburg County.  

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 2/18/2022 at 8:26 PM, kermit said:

NC coming in way better than average! I wonder what common thread could explain the high (and low) death rates? I can't quite put my finger on it...

While the point you're making is valid (notably that, by June 15 2021, we had vaccinations and knew full well masking  worked), it should be fairly pointed out that many of the blue states in the northeast were devastated right at the beginning of the pandemic, which is why for all time NJ has the third most deaths per capita, and NY is #8, and MA #11.  In all those cases, the only real spike in deaths was March/April of 2020. 

(North Carolina is #39 on the full pandemic deaths per capita)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tozmervo said:

While the point you're making is valid (notably that, by June 15 2021, we had vaccinations and knew full well masking  worked), it should be fairly pointed out that many of the blue states in the northeast were devastated right at the beginning of the pandemic, which is why for all time NJ has the third most deaths per capita, and NY is #8, and MA #11.  In all those cases, the only real spike in deaths was March/April of 2020. 

(North Carolina is #39 on the full pandemic deaths per capita)

Great post. Compare NC to Georgia on Covid deaths. Virtually identical population sizes and similar demographics. Georgia under Kemp has SIGNIFICANTLY MORE Covid deaths compared to NC and Cooper. That is not a fluke. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JBS said:

Great post. Compare NC to Georgia on Covid deaths. Virtually identical population sizes and similar demographics. Georgia under Kemp has SIGNIFICANTLY MORE Covid deaths compared to NC and Cooper. That is not a fluke. 

I wonder if part of it is hospital quality/resources as well. We're similar populations and have similar overall inpatient bed counts, but Georgia has only about 60% the number beds in level I & II trauma centers as NC. And ours include more high quality teaching hospitals (UNC, Duke, WF, ECU). It seems like these places and other level I centers will be more likely to have resources and staff to get better outcomes vs smaller regional hospitals.  

• Like 2