The Coronavirus thread

12 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

What does that mean? He's done amazing things for the world. Sad how people wants to be so negative about a man who wants to do what's right.

He claimed Tesla would build 500,000 cars in 2018 (wasn't even close).  He claimed Tesla would be able to rebuild Puerto Rico's power grid in 2017 (that still has not happened).  He has boasted about Tesla's "return to profitability" numerous times (Tesla has never posted a positive net profit).  I could go on and on about missed production deadlines and other things like that, but there are too many examples to list.

He is literally a younger, woke-er, more liberal version of a particular member of the executive branch.  Plays by his own rules, can't stay in a committed relationship, can't stop Tweeting, nothing is ever his fault, and he can't do any wrong according to his supporters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nicholas said:

He claimed Tesla would build 500,000 cars in 2018 (wasn't even close).  He claimed Tesla would be able to rebuild Puerto Rico's power grid in 2017 (that still has not happened).  He has boasted about Tesla's "return to profitability" numerous times (Tesla has never posted a positive net profit).  I could go on and on about missed production deadlines and other things like that, but there are too many examples to list.

He is literally a younger, woke-er, more liberal version of a particular member of the executive branch.  Plays by his own rules, can't stay in a committed relationship, can't stop Tweeting, nothing is ever his fault, and he can't do any wrong according to his supporters.

Stop with the political BS. People are really jealous of others successes. It's really pathetic. LMAO Tesla stock went from 500 to near 1000 before the market-wide crash. 

10 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Stop with the political BS. People are really jealous of others successes. It's really pathetic. LMAO Tesla stock went from 500 to near 1000 before the market-wide crash. 

Just because people have an opinion that is different than yours doesn’t mean you have to snap at them. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Poster brought up politics in in a coronavirus thread. There is a political thread. 

I don’t see anything political about his post. It revolved around Tesla and Elon Musk not politics. You asked him a question and he answered it. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gman430 said:

I don’t see anything political about his post. 

Really...?

"He is literally a younger, woke-er, more liberal version of a particular member of the executive branch.  Plays by his own rules, can't stay in a committed relationship, can't stop Tweeting, nothing is ever his fault, and he can't do any wrong according to his supporters."

Maybe read more post less.

1 hour ago, urbanlover568 said:

Sooo...what's your point?  Enron's stock was soaring until it wasn't.  Tesla's stock was once at about $419 per share when Musk tweeted out that he was considering taking Tesla private and had "funding secured."  Tesla's stock prices tumbled, and even a year after the tweet were only at $238 per share.  Stock prices go up and down, especially when you have a loose cannon running the company.

I'm not a Musk fan and have no desire to be in his shoes.  He is successful, I will give him that, but I can't respect someone who repeatedly lies his ass off, Tweets whatever comes to mind the moment it comes to mind, and can't stay committed to a relationship, yet is still regarded as a pseudo-God by his supporters.  The only reason I compared him to a specific politician is because they are both so similar in these regards that they could trade places and nobody would notice.  The fact that you moved the goalposts and didn't directly respond to any of my points tells me that you don't have a response.

If I wanted to talk politics, I'd talk about actual political policy and strategy.  Not personality.

Edited by nicholas
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Sooo...what's your point?  Enron's stock was soaring until it wasn't.  Tesla's stock was once at about $419 per share when Musk tweeted out that he was considering taking Tesla private and had "funding secured."  Tesla's stock prices tumbled, and even a year after the tweet were only at $238 per share.  Stock prices go up and down, especially when you have a loose cannon running the company.

I'm not a Musk fan and have no desire to be in his shoes.  He is successful, I will give him that, but I can't respect someone who repeatedly lies his ass off, Tweets whatever comes to mind the moment it comes to mind, and can't stay committed to a relationship, yet is still regarded as a pseudo-God by his supporters.  The only reason I compared him to a specific politician is because they are both so similar in these regards that they could trade places and nobody would notice.  The fact that you moved the goalposts and didn't directly respond to any of my points tells me that you don't have a response.

If I wanted to talk politics, I'd talk about actual political policy and strategy.  Not personality.

Great, so you have established your prejudices about him.

Sorry mods for going OT. Will be my last post about non-corona stuff.

Edited by urbanlover568

23 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Great, so you have established your prejudices about him.

Musk, like everyone else, started out with a blank slate in my eyes.  Until he gave me tons of reasons to not like him, I didn't have a problem with him. 

Clearly we are never going to agree about his antics so I am going to stop responding.

1 minute ago, nicholas said:

Musk, like everyone else, started out with a blank slate in my eyes.  Until he gave me tons of reasons to not like him, I didn't have a problem with him. 

Clearly we are never going to agree about his antics so I am going to stop responding.

You clearly hate the man so much that you are even pessimistic against his efforts to help manufacturer life-saving equipment. It's really sad. 

BTW Ford and GM are also helping in the fight and manufacturing life-saving equipment. It's great when industries can come together in times like these.

42 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

What's a smart thermometer? Do people actually own thermometers that upload their body temperature reading to the internet?

best I can tell its connected to a phone app and records daily temps as part of heath / fitness tracking.

The problem with the data is that users need to a) have a smart phone and b) be able to set up a bluetooth connection so users will  heavily skew young / affluent  / educated. Given this non-representative sample of the population, the high rates in both Florida and South Carolina are likely being under-sampled (meaning rates of infection are much higher). Another concern is that we don't know yet if younger people are more likely to be asymptomatic, if so then these data will dramatically under-measure actual infection rates. These figures could also be the  result of poor mapping using  small sample sizes.

Low rates of abnormal illness in California may be encouraging, I would assume that sample sizes are much better there given user demographics.

an example of a smart thermometer:

https://www.cvs.com/shop/kinsa-quickcare-smart-digital-thermometer-for-all-ages-prodid-2180122

[from the product listing:

VersatileQuickCare thermometer works as a baby thermometer rectally, or with oral and underarm use for people of all ages.

ummm, no thank you ]

#NotanExpert

EDIT: The high rates of fever in low income counties in the South makes me think that there are some major problems in how these data are being interpreted and mapped. I would think that smart thermometer use in these areas would be too low to develop meaningful conclusions from -- but they are mapping those areas anyway. Not having any underlying data makes it impossible to know for sure. 

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

There are myriad problems with these data, but this and other data points are suggesting that central South Carolina and East Tennessee may become hot spots.

Problematic or not, I'm a junkie for interactive maps. Here's the tool referenced in the tweet @kermit shared.

https://healthweather.us/

image.thumb.png.8b990dab4846cd075311dead203c0f3b.png

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 1