The Greenville coronavirus thread

gman430

13 hours ago, cabelagent said:

I'll leave this here...reporting has been an issue from the beginning.

This is the way it should be reported. One of my pet peeves is the local media just keeps piling on the total and never mentions active cases. Cases from March, April and May are no longer relevant. Of course this kind of reporting will not happen for a few more months, 

Edited by apaladin

14 hours ago, cabelagent said:

I'll leave this here...reporting has been an issue from the beginning.

The media reports real numbers, nothing more and nothing less. You choose to ignore the fact that the media has done a terrific job in the last month on putting a lot of emphasis on hospitalizations and deaths. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

This is the way it should be reported. One of my pet peeves is the local media just keeps piling on the total and never mentions active cases. Cases from March, April and May are no longer relevant. Of course this kind of reporting will not happen for a few more months, 

That's a good point: lifetime totals need to be tracked but they are no longer useful to analyze situations at either local or national levels.  This is an example of a realistic assessment of the South Carolina case: the number of Covid hospitalizations.  Not the proverbial gunshot victim with antibodies, but real life people spending multiple days at the hospital with varying levels of gasping for breath.     At least until the data reporting has been blocked for now.

coronGraph2.JPG

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

Do you make money if more people get sick and pass away? What is your MO for people to not take this seriously? What do you gain? 

I don’t but a lot of people, institutions, hospitals, doctors, drug companies, scientists etc. do. It is very tempting for anyone to get 3 times the money they normally get with the stroke of a pen. It is serious by all means but it has gotten blown way out of proportion and has become a political football. 

1 minute ago, gman said:

Fear-monger alert! Another case where a college aged individual with no symptoms spread an outbreak. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/18/coronavirus-superspreading-events-drive-pandemic/

Yep again you can find a worst case scenario and report it to promote any agenda regardless of what that agenda is. Where are all the stories about the thousands and thousands that have survived with little or no problems or the ones where the case was very serious but still recovered. 

14 minutes ago, gman said:

The media reports real numbers, nothing more and nothing less. You choose to ignore the fact that the media has done a terrific job in the last month on putting a lot of emphasis on hospitalizations and deaths. 

I choose to respectfully disagree but honor your opinion at the same time. 

I don’t but a lot of people, institutions, hospitals, doctors, drug companies, scientists etc. do. It is very tempting for anyone to get 3 times the money they normally get with the stroke of a pen. It is serious by all means but it has gotten blown way out of proportion and has become a political football. 

Yep again you can find a worst case scenario and report it to promote any agenda regardless of what that agenda is. Where are all the stories about the thousands and thousands that have survived with little or no problems or the ones where the case was very serious but still recovered. 

Nevertheless, it’s a real story with real consequences. By the way, there are feel good stories about someone recovering on the news every single day. Maybe you should watch real news for a change. 

Edited by gman

Single day record of 2,335 cases and 19 more deaths. DHEC reporting number of probable cases at 470,000. That’s good news for the death rate. Bottom line, there are a lot of people walking around with the virus that don’t know it, but affecting other people that could die. Wearing a mask is vital to controlling the spread. 

Edited by gman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gman said:

Single day record of 2,335 cases and 19 more deaths. DHEC reporting number of probable cases at 470,000. That’s good news for the death rate. Bottom line, there are a lot of people walking around with the virus that don’t know it, but affecting other people that could die. Wearing a mask is vital to controlling the spread. 

So I guess they were wrog again when they told us the summer heat would help. 

If the DHEC probable case # of 470k is correct, we are near 10% infection rate in the state. If infection creates immunity to the virus in the future (uncertain at this time, but probable), we are 1/7th of the way to herd immunity. In other words, we are very early in this pandemic and a huge additional number of South Carolinians will be infected unless an effective vaccine is created and distributed. Here is a source for the 70% herd immunity number - https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/herd-immunity-and-covid-19-what-you-need-to-know/

So I guess they were wrog again when they told us the summer heat would help. 

Who is they? Dr. Fauci never said that. He said there no was no proof that the summer heat would help. As I recall, Trump said that in March after hearing it from some source. Both the WHO and the CDC disputed what Trump said. 

Edited by gman
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, gman said:

Who is they? Dr. Fauci never said that. He said there no was no proof that the summer heat would help. As I recall, Trump said that in March after hearing it from some source. Both the WHO and the CDC disputed what Trump said. 

Dozens of scientists, see the quote below. I take what Fauci says and doesn't say with a grain of salt. He certainly has his own agenda. 

dozens of scientific papers speculated that, like the flu, the coronavirus would melt away in the heat, sunlight, and humidity and we could all relax for a few months until a second wave of infection hit us in late fall. 

8 hours ago, apaladin said:

Dozens of scientists, see the quote below. I take what Fauci says and doesn't say with a grain of salt. He certainly has his own agenda. 

dozens of scientific papers speculated that, like the flu, the coronavirus would melt away in the heat, sunlight, and humidity and we could all relax for a few months until a second wave of infection hit us in late fall. 

I haven't seen any of those "scientific papers". The only agenda Fauci has is to inform us and keep us alive. I say he has done a pretty good job of doing that, despite Trump. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

Do you make money if more people get sick and pass away? What is your MO for people to not take this seriously? What do you gain? 

A bit uncalled for, don't you think?

Throughout this whole pandemic, I haven't read, watched, or listened to a single person who thinks we shouldn't take this seriously. And my news/analysis sources are all over the spectrum. The difference is always over what constitutes the best approach to dealing with it, that seeks to justly balance everyone's best interests and put resources where they're most needed.

Is there some particular reason that we can't disagree amicably on this? Why not presume the best intentions, rather than the worst? I'm pretty sure apaladin's married and has children.

And just a reminder that this is not theoretical for me: my wife's immune system is currently shut down because of chemotherapy; and my 89-year-old mother is frail and in memory care (thank God we're not in New York!). Everything that comes in our house gets cloroxed; my 19-year old daughter and 20-year old son have barely left the house since March. And of course we can't receive visitors, either. I pretty much only shop for groceries. We're living this to an extent that few are. We are taking it deadly seriously.

Not looking for sympathy; don't need it or want it. Just making clear that, if anything, you'd likely think that I'd agree with the majority opinion on this thread. Nevertheless, I don't. And yes, I'm aware of all the statistics that have been invoked here and in other places contrary to my opinion. But I certainly don't have to tell you that data and the statistics that are built on it are not necessarily objective....

So it's back to apaladin's question earlier on this thread: who you gonna believe? The fact that apaladin and I take positions on this contrary to yours is great opportunity for friendly debate. And if for whatever reason you can't do it, then just don't say anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Exile said:

A bit uncalled for, don't you think?

Throughout this whole pandemic, I haven't read, watched, or listened to a single person who thinks we shouldn't take this seriously. And my news/analysis sources are all over the spectrum. The difference is always over what constitutes the best approach to dealing with it, that seeks to justly balance everyone's best interests and put resources where they're most needed.

Is there some particular reason that we can't disagree amicably on this? Why not presume the best intentions, rather than the worst? I'm pretty sure apaladin's married and has children.

And just a reminder that this is not theoretical for me: my wife's immune system is currently shut down because of chemotherapy; and my 89-year-old mother is frail and in memory care (thank God we're not in New York!). Everything that comes in our house gets cloroxed; my 19-year old daughter and 20-year old son have barely left the house since March. And of course we can't receive visitors, either. I pretty much only shop for groceries. We're living this to an extent that few are. We are taking it deadly seriously.

Not looking for sympathy; don't need it or want it. Just making clear that, if anything, you'd likely think that I'd agree with the majority opinion on this thread. Nevertheless, I don't. And yes, I'm aware of all the statistics that have been invoked here and in other places contrary to my opinion. But I certainly don't have to tell you that data and the statistics that are built on it are not necessarily objective....

So it's back to apaladin's question earlier on this thread: who you gonna believe? The fact that apaladin and I take positions on this contrary to yours is great opportunity for friendly debate. And if for whatever reason you can't do it, then just don't say anything.

My apologies but when someone's position causes more suffering, I don't take kindly to it. This is not a position on what is the best restaurant for brunch, it's a position that will mislead people and put other's in danger. I'm going to believe the science and note that the hype isn't high enough for a lot of Americans to take this seriously. There's being optimistic and there's being foolish. In this case, people will suffer, die or come out with thousands of dollars in medical bills if we as a country can't decide to be wise for once in the past few years. 

• Like 3

I do take it seriously, wear a mask etc but believe it is overblown and all these figures are suspect to say the least. There is so much information and misinformation it is overwhelming. We have suffered the loss of my father-in-law who passed away alone in a nursing home because he was alone for 2 months as no one could go see him. Now my mother in-law is in the same situation begging for someone to come see her. Which is worse? Trying to keep the virus away from them are keeping their loved ones from them? For me it is the latter. To me the way we are treating people in nursing homes is deplorable. Yes I know they are high risk, but again which is worse? 

42 minutes ago, apaladin said:

I do take it seriously, wear a mask etc but believe it is overblown and all these figures are suspect to say the least. There is so much information and misinformation it is overwhelming. We have suffered the loss of my father-in-law who passed away alone in a nursing home because he was alone for 2 months as no one could go see him. Now my mother in-law is in the same situation begging for someone to come see her. Which is worse? Trying to keep the virus away from them are keeping their loved ones from them? For me it is the latter. To me the way we are treating people in nursing homes is deplorable. Yes I know they are high risk, but again which is worse? 

I choose to get my information from real news sources that report the facts straight from the medical experts, not from conspiracy websites. Except for the small amount of nonsense that is posted by a few on this forum, I don't read any misinformation. Where would it be found?

Edited by gman

25 minutes ago, gman said:

I choose to get my information from real news sources that report the facts straight from the medical experts, not from conspiracy websites. Except for the small amount of nonsense that is posted by a few on this forum, I don't read any misinformation. Where would it be found?

That’s funny. Real news source? Does one exist that isn’t biased to some degree?

Edited by apaladin

14 hours ago, apaladin said:

That’s funny. Real news source? Does one exist that isn’t biased to some degree?

Most reporters on the main networks are objective. For example, Lester Holt is the best in the business. He is fair and shows no bais. He reports the facts. The cable networks are a different story, with CNN and FOX being the worst.  However, as a conservative, I do like Neil Cavuto. He is very fair. I can watch Dana Perino too.  The online only news sources are mostly bogus. 

Edited by gman
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gman said:

Most reporters on the main networks are objective. For example, Lester Holt is the best in the business. He is fair and shows no bais. He reports the facts. The cable networks are a different story, with CNN and FOX being the worst.  However, as a conservative, I do like Neil Cavuto. He is very fair. I can watch Dana Perino too.  The online only news sources are mostly bogus. 

Lester Holt may be the best in the business. But even if he is, what's your standard for your claim that "he reports the facts." Is it because Lester Holt is the best in the business? Then you're in a tight circle of reasoning. Is it because his reporting is verified by other, by-definition lesser journalists? Then how can you know for sure, since they are, by definition, less fair and show some level of bias? How can the "greater" be confirmed by the "lesser"?

Even the reporter with the most integrity is always selecting--from among many bits of information, often about subjects and affairs in which he has at best partial understanding--those he will present as the story. And then he tells a story (not the story), i.e., interpreting the information, according to his own views and bound by his level of understanding. It's inescapable. I couldn't, you couldn't, Lester Holt can't.

That's why it's imperative to listen with an open mind to a spectrum of reporting/opinion. Unfortunately, from my vantage point, the emotional/vituperative responses I've read here rather indicate those posters are likely living in news silos.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Must not be much going on in Greenville these days if this all there is to talk about on the forum. Lol. 

Shhh...I’m getting my entertainment reading posts on this blog. I enjoy the cavalier manner they accuse each other of lying.  :whistling:

Edited by cabelagent