The Greenville coronavirus thread

gman430

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

You get a bailout, and you get a bailout, and you get a bailout...everybody gets free money: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/movie-theater-owners-request-a-bailout-amid-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Bernie Sanders wins without winning. :rofl: So now they are going to send a few dollars to everyone to stimulate the economy they just killed off. Does that make any sense to anyone? If they are going to do this would it not make sense to wait until something is open? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

Bernie Sanders wins without winning. :rofl: So now they are going to send a few dollars to everyone to stimulate the economy they just killed off. Does that make any sense to anyone? If they are going to do this would it not make sense to wait until something is open? 

My guess is it's more about helping people with essentials,  like paying mortgage, rent, buying food, medical costs, etc. With everything closing down a ton of people are going to lose income or their jobs will be cut altogether.  

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Danmire said:

Quit with the election year conspiracy theories.  Actually educate yourself on the severity of Covid-19.  Currently the mortality rate of this strain in the US  is 1.6%.   The mortality rate in Italy is 7.9%.  Flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%.  These measures are being taken so we don't become Italy.  35 Million people contracted the Flu last year.  35,000 died.  With a mortality rate of 1.6% and if the infected rise to flu levels at 35 million that is 560,000 deaths.  Covid-19 has also proven to be more communicable than the flu that at least a third of the US population could be infected.  Also there are the knock on effects of the health system being overrun with covid-19 cases taking beds that would normally be used for other sicknesses and illnesses that people need hospitalization for.  Listen to the experts not the pundits.  This is serious.  The steps being taken now are to save lives. 

Quit peddling in these lies.  Take it seriously.

Italy has worse healthcare than the United States; therefore, it has a higher mortality rate.

There are facts and myths about COVID-19 that are debatable by experts who know what is going on and "experts" who have no clue what is going on.   When the number of COVID-19 cases decreases and normal activity resumes, life continues.

Can someone explain to me why the messages from our leaders are so different this time than in the past. Before when something like this happened we were given guidelines, told the chances of getting it were lowand to carry on, This time it is a message of fear and panic. Why the difference. The pandemic of 2009 killed a million people but I don't remember one thing closing down. 

49 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Can someone explain to me why the messages from our leaders are so different this time than in the past. Before when something like this happened we were given guidelines, told the chances of getting it were lowand to carry on, This time it is a message of fear and panic. Why the difference. The pandemic of 2009 killed a million people but I don't remember one thing closing down. 

Because it’s an election year??? Seriously though, it seems like every country on the planet is doing this panic and mass hysteria stuff with lockdowns and what not.  As an example, look at what India just did: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-20-20-intl-hnk/h_6f90b117cffa0d48885c63d79003cc61

Maybe they know something we don’t?  

Edited by gman430

5 hours ago, apaladin said:

It's hard to obtain statistics on whether the hospitals are more jammed than usual.  People are stating many facts about Italy, but I haven't heard doctors there comparing the hospital load to previous years.   That would be the primary driver to shut things down.   Countries who did take this seriously have fought similar outbreaks several times, so they considered it worthwhile.

Congress has no hesitation to act on the CV19 problem.  The cynic in me wonders how this correlates with the increased vulnerability of the older population and the average age of Congress.

25 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Is it not true that if they had not invented a test for this and started testing for it no one would have ever known the difference? The test and not the virus has caused the hysteria. BTW I heard the average age for all the deaths in Italy is 79.

Italy in general is a very aged population living in a very social society-- perfect ingredients for spreading this infection and creating the resulting death toll.

As I'm sure all of us do, I know folks who have compromised immune systems. This is a VERY REAL threat to their life. If we can stop the spread, the economy will recover. If people continue going about their lives and unknowingly spread this infection, then we will see negative consequences continue. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Is it not true that if they had not invented a test for this and started testing for it no one would have ever known the difference? The test and not the virus has caused the hysteria. BTW I heard the average age for all the deaths in Italy is 79.

I found several reports about Italy where doctors are saying they have never seen anything like this - the hospitals are maxed out.   So one possible explanation is that it's spreading much faster than the seasonal flu, thus the critically ill all need treatment at once.    So even without a test, people would be asking "What is going on?" - like the New Jersey family with 7 infected, and 4 died already (the first death in that family was 55).

When I turned on my computer this morning there was 2 promising news stories on my homepage. One was that France so far had had a 100 percent success rate in curing the coronavirus with a new drug. The pther was that Americans were having great success with a generic drug. WhenI went back less than an hour later to read these stories they were gone. I looked and searched everywhere and could not find a word. Makes you wonder. 

33 minutes ago, apaladin said:

When I turned on my computer this morning there was 2 promising news stories on my homepage. One was that France so far had had a 100 percent success rate in curing the coronavirus with a new drug. The pther was that Americans were having great success with a generic drug. WhenI went back less than an hour later to read these stories they were gone. I looked and searched everywhere and could not find a word. Makes you wonder. 

It makes me wonder where you get your news, but the first story seems to be incorrect. The second story is certainly not true. I posted this on another forum site this morning. This is a new virus. Even the experts are saying they are in the process of analyzing the data. In other words, if they don’t know, we certainly don’t. Speaking to myself here. Stop posting on this subject. The only fact true at this moment is the virus is spreading quickly. Hopefully, the social distancing will work. Praying for our country. Peace to all.

Edited by gman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gman said:

It makes me wonder where you get your news, but the first story seems to be incorrect. The second story is certainly not true. I posted this on another forum site this morning. This is a new virus. Even the experts are saying they are in the process of analyzing the data. In other words, if they don’t know, we certainly don’t. Speaking to myself here. Stop posting on this subject. The only fact true at this moment is the virus is spreading quickly. Hopefully, the social distancing will work. Praying for our country. Peace to all.

I don't know about the stories that are referenced here, other than that physicians in France claim to have had success using chloroquinine (sp?), which is an old malaria drug with lots of potential side effects. I'm not qualified to evaluate their claims or anybody's refutation of their claims.

I am qualified to categorize the expressed opinions of the experts, on a continuum from "no big deal" to "the sky is falling." So are you. It does seem to me that a fair number of people who qualify as experts, from both ends of the political spectrum, consider this to be a huge overreaction, based both on an evaluation of the coronavirus itself and its effects, and also on a comparison with other heretofore much more deadly diseases that haven't evoked so much as a whiff of quarantine/social distancing, taking into account contagiousness. So, in my view you can argue either way, as long as you don't shame the person who's arguing contrary to your position. Give people the judgment of charity, until they demonstrate that they don't deserve it. And expressing an opinion contrary to yours does not qualify as such a demonstration.

I say this as a man whose wife is currently undergoing cancer treatments, and there's nobody more immune-compromised than a chemotherapy patient. I tend toward skepticism about the more radical claims about coronavirus, but I'm the first to admit that I don't know where to draw the line. But it has been drawn for me, like it or not. My wife's oncologist seems to be somewhere in the middle. He seems to think it will all turn out to be an overreaction, but in his position, with his patients and their needs, he can't be too careful.

Whether my skepticism is warranted or not, I'm probably putting all of you to shame with detox showers, clorox wipes, social distancing, etc. I don't however, begrudge the one who rationally thinks this is all so much overkill....

• Like 1

Exile, you are going thru what most of us fear. God bless you. I hope that your wife will be ok and that her prognosis is good. Regardless of whether you think it has been an overreaction or the correct action I think none of us ever thought we would see our great country shut down in fear. 

• Like 2