The Greenville coronavirus thread

gman430

1 hour ago, gman said:

Most barber shops and salons are closing. I went on Amazon yesterday to purchase a Wahl hair cutter. The normal price is about $39.00. The price yesterday was $80.00. I guess I will let my hair get a little shaggy for a few weeks. 

I was late to the puzzle buying game and went to amazon looking.  Ending up finding some on walmart.com for $9 that Amazon was selling for $50

Well, Bill Gates says the country should completely shutdown for 6-10 weeks. Just another rich person completely out of touch with the real world. He failed to say how everyone could get in touch witn him so he could pay their rent, mortgage etc. Hey Bill STFU!  :rofl:

Dr. Neil Ferguson of the Imperial College, London, England has changed his earlier forecasts of the dangers of the Covid-19 virus. He was one of the people who helped create the hysteria in the first place, but now says his prediction is that the virus will kill less than 20,000 in the UK. Earlier he had predicted 500,000 would die. He now says it is just a slightly worse than usual version of the flu (in its effects.) He says the UK doesn't need to do a lockdown. He says between half and two thirds of the deaths are people who were already in very bad shape and would probably die within a year anyway.

Oops.

A lot of the hype and fear can be traced back to the Imperial College projections that he made.

Oh, yeah... and the Italian government has admitted that they have been including large numbers of deaths as being due to the virus when they were actually because of other conditions. Heart attack victims who tested positive for the virus were falsely included in the numbers, and cancer victims, and people who get hit by a car crossing the street...

Edited by apaladin
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, apaladin said:

Well, Bill Gates says the country should completely shutdown for 6-10 weeks. Just another rich person completely out of touch with the real world. He failed to say how everyone could get in touch witn him so he could pay their rent, mortgage etc. Hey Bill STFU!  :rofl:

Dr. Neil Ferguson of the Imperial College, London, England has changed his earlier forecasts of the dangers of the Covid-19 virus. He was one of the people who helped create the hysteria in the first place, but now says his prediction is that the virus will kill less than 20,000 in the UK. Earlier he had predicted 500,000 would die. He now says it is just a slightly worse than usual version of the flu (in its effects.) He says the UK doesn't need to do a lockdown. He says between half and two thirds of the deaths are people who were already in very bad shape and would probably die within a year anyway.

Oops.

A lot of the hype and fear can be traced back to the Imperial College projections that he made.

Oh, yeah... and the Italian government has admitted that they have been including large numbers of deaths as being due to the virus when they were actually because of other conditions. Heart attack victims who tested positive for the virus were falsely included in the numbers, and cancer victims, and people who get hit by a car crossing the street...

Where do you get your news from,  the Trump News Network? Your statement on Italy is absolutely wrong. This is the truth. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

As for Dr. Neil Ferguson, there is this. https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/coronavirus-pandemic-neil-ferguson-did-not-walk-back-covid-19-predictions/

Edited by gman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, gman said:

Where do you get your news from,  the Trump News Network? Your statement on Italy is absolutely wrong. This is the truth. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

As for Dr. Neil Ferguson, there is this. https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/coronavirus-pandemic-neil-ferguson-did-not-walk-back-covid-19-predictions/

But notice an important paragraph from the NR piece:

"Models like this will always turn out to be wrong in some way or other, because they rely on very strong assumptions about aspects of the disease we haven’t thoroughly studied yet. If nothing else, the original Imperial model will be obsolete soon, because it didn’t predict what could happen with extensive testing and contact tracing, which is likely the next step once the spread is contained and we have enough tests to go around. But it hasn’t been walked back just yet."

So, Britain's on total lockdown because of a mathematical model that is hypothetical and by the article's own admission is almost certainly wrong. And, based on what this and other reports have said, it's very difficult to see how the more informed model won't revise the figures significantly downward once the data is in hand.

Given the fact that one thing we do know is who the at-risk groups are (I have two in my immediate family), and we have the means to protect them, perhaps you can see why some of us are a bit skeptical.

5 minutes ago, Exile said:

But notice an important paragraph from the NR piece:

"Models like this will always turn out to be wrong in some way or other, because they rely on very strong assumptions about aspects of the disease we haven’t thoroughly studied yet. If nothing else, the original Imperial model will be obsolete soon, because it didn’t predict what could happen with extensive testing and contact tracing, which is likely the next step once the spread is contained and we have enough tests to go around. But it hasn’t been walked back just yet."

So, Britain's on total lockdown because of a mathematical model that is hypothetical and by the article's own admission is almost certainly wrong. And, based on what this and other reports have said, it's very difficult to see how the more informed model won't revise the figures significantly downward once the data is in hand.

Given the fact that one thing we do know is who the at-risk groups are (I have two in my immediate family), and we have the means to protect them, perhaps you can see why some of us are a bit skeptical.

Praying the model is wrong. Praying Dr. Ferguson is laughed at because the numbers were much lower. 

Yeah, these things are not predictable.  And by 'wrong'  the worst case scenario can be wrong,  in that it was not sufficiently negative. 

The British Prime Minister did not take the virus seriously enough and now he has the virus himself, as does the future King.  Funny how that works. 

41 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Yeah, these things are not predictable.  And by 'wrong'  the worst case scenario can be wrong,  in that it was not sufficiently negative. 

The British Prime Minister did not take the virus seriously enough and now he has the virus himself, as does the future King.  Funny how that works.

Nobody's saying the virus isn't serious and shouldn't be taken seriously.  But it's pretty highly unlikely that the model will turn out to be insufficient. Conceivably could it? Yes. Is it likely? No.

And I did a little research: the population density of Wuhan is >15,000/sq.mi.; Milan ~20,000; NYC >27,000 (Manhattan something like 67,000); Greenville ~2400; Concord (where I live) ~1300.

There's just no statistical analogy to be made from a northern, densely populated country like England (56,000,000 in an area roughly the same size as N.C.) to the Carolinas (Charlotte: 2800/sq.mi.). Or to the substantial majority of the U.S.

22 minutes ago, apaladin said:

The SC attorney generals office just said that local authorities do not have the power to issue emergency policies given to the governor by the general assembly. Finally a little common sense. 

This is dumb. Places that are enacting emergency policies are looking out for the best interests of their communities and rightfully, IMO, viewing this event with a long term lens. I hope the cities in South Carolina challenge this decision. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

This is dumb. Places that are enacting emergency policies are looking out for the best interests of their communities and rightfully, IMO, viewing this event with a long term lens. I hope the cities in South Carolina challenge this decision. 

No IMHO its more like, Charleston did so we got to. If you let every city make these decisions it will be even more chaos and we will never get back to normal. The governr should make these decisions. These cities are just following the lead and over-reacting which is the new normal. 

Edited by apaladin

3 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

North Carolina just released a stay at home order for the state thru April. Just a matter of time until South Carolina does and the longer we wait the worse it will be.

We are not special here in the south and we need to stop acting like we are.

Oh we are very special. We are like that Tiger King show on Netflix. 

13 hours ago, apaladin said:

No IMHO its more like, Charleston did so we got to. If you let every city make these decisions it will be even more chaos and we will never get back to normal. The governr should make these decisions. These cities are just following the lead and over-reacting which is the new normal. 

I can't recall a time when Greenville has chosen to do something for the sole reason that Charleston had done it. Greenville was at the forefront of the smoking ban in South Carolina (only second to Sullivan's Island, if I recall correctly). If Greenville were waiting on Charleston to fund and develop and robust trail system, we'd still be waiting on the Swamp Rabbit Trail to come to fruition. Anyhow, I think Greenville's city leadership is very bi-partisan and typically very level-headed (hello, County Square redevelopment). I don't think you're giving them the credit they deserve in considering how to respond to this unprecedented world event.

This isn't some lefty San Fransisco policy being taken off the shelf, and attempting to apply it in South Carolina. In this forum community, the complete and 100% rejection of attempts to prevent the spread of disease blows my mind. The faster we can get this economy back up and running, the better. Allowing, and even endorsing, the spread of sickness is only going to deliver long term economic impacts and political ramifications in the Fall. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Exile said:

No matter what your view is on shutdowns and shelter-in-place, this ought to be of concern:

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/news/dr-fauci-and-covid-19-priorities-therapeutics-now-or-vaccines-later/

Bro, can you stop posting this uneducated uninformed bullcrap? Children's health defense is a well known anti-vac website.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Folly and Edisto Beaches to reopen to the public today. 

I know folks who spent significant time in DC during this pandemic, who have since relocated to Kiawah to weather the crisis. Encouraging and permitting relocations such as this, will only bring more potential cases and exposure to South Carolina. It's a shame that opening beaches will encourage this behavior. 

• Like 1